Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Moving soon...buy pantry containers before or after?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 6:17 am
I've been itching to do my pantry with coordinating stacking containers for awhile now, but they're so costly I've been holding back. we'll be moving to a new home in about a year. I'd love to do the pantry now since moving is so expensive, hectic and overwhelming, I could see myself not getting that done for months after. also a friend of mine just moves and she said with all her containers packing was a breeze!

on the flip side, I'm afraid the containers might not be the right size for the new pantry (although I am doing a custom closet in the pantry so I can make that work), containers can break in the move, I may need additional ones and then in a year from now if they're not on the market then what...
any suggestions?

trixx

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 6:19 am
Set it up there.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 6:28 am
trixx wrote:
Set it up there.

Exactly! The last thing that you need now is more stuff. In Monsey, Auction Mart has someone who helps make those decisions because sometimes containers use up too much space, such as when they are half empty.

Also, because these things are often bought online, why would there be any concern about having it as soon as possible after you move in?

Amarante

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 7:02 am
I just did the equivalent as I gut remodeled my home including the kitchen which meant that EVERY LAST THING had to be packed and moved and then moved back in.

Definitely wait until you are moving back in because at that point you will know exactly what you need - measurements - where you are storing etc.

Also moving in AND out is an excellent opportunity to evaluate what you have or want. I tossed (or gave away/donated) much stuff when I packed up because frankly who wants to move 13 jars of mustard or spices that are a decade old or whatever.

When I moved back in and unpacked I did a much more deliberate organization. I did have the help of a professional organizer who helped me use the spaces I had and order what. you need. Most importantly she held me hand and helped me get rid of stuff that made much more sense to toss. If I haven't used something in ten years, do I really need to keep it? Why should I keep the colander that is missing the legs or the multiple wooden spoons when some are banged up and I only use one or two at the maximum. Besides I have hot and cold running water to wash something :-).

zaq

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 9:49 am
After. You don’t know what you’ll need or what sizes you’ll need.

miami85

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 10:17 am
Don't move anything you don't have to. I learned that the hard way.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics