Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
How long does it take you to make dinner each day
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 8:01 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I mix them in a 9x13 pan then move the mix to one side of the pan and start making the meatballs and lining them up in the same pan. I slip the pan into a Challah size zip bag (2 gallon) and freeze. One frozen, I place the meatballs in a Ziploc bag, still lying flat in one layer (so it will defrost easily) and throw out the 9x13 pan.

Thanks!!

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 8:30 pm
Reading this thread
I live on a very tight budget.
I can't afford any fish (except canned) or meat/poultry except some on shabbos.
My kids don't tolerate deli meats for some reason (they get nauseous or vomit)
My typical dinners are:
Pasta with cheese and tomato sauce
Sardines with crackers
French toast (eggs fried onto bread) with cheese
Farina cooked in milk and butter and salt, maybe served with sliced hard boiled eggs on the side for added protein.
Fresh home made pizza in the pizza maker
I am not so great with preparing veggies but I always have raw veggies at home and I trained my kids to eat them raw and whole such as whole peeled carrots, whole plum tomatoes or sliced beef tomatoes, whole checked lettuce leaves, etc... and pickles or whole cucumbers are a favorite.
I also bake frozen veggies in the oven but not every day and my kids really like broccoli but they are expensive!
I wonder if there are any other ideas that would fit my budget?
Thank you all!

Amelia Bedelia

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 8:33 pm
rainbow dash wrote:
I cook fresh food everyday. I dont have any leftovers from shabbos.

Unless im baking chicken in the oven or making gulash or sheapards pie everything normally takes me 30 mins.

This! I'm cooking for 18+ years and cooking can take as much as an hour sometimes! Am I doing something wrong? Sauteeing an onion can take 15 minutes or more. Peeling and chopping and simmering....Frying takes forever.

On Monday when I was pressed for time I made Crispy Bake chicken, roast potatoes, and salad, and pulled out a soup from the freezer. The chicken took me five minutes ti prepare and my kids gobbled it up. I ended up putting in another 3 quarters to bake for the next shift.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 8:35 pm
Answer to Amother Bisque:

Shakshuka
Tuna salad with veggies and toast
Corn salad (canned corn, 1/2 diced red pepper, drop of light mayo, lots of dill fresh or frozen or even dried , sprinkle salt and garlic powder)

Last edited by thunderstorm on Wed, Nov 20 2019, 8:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

keym

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 8:35 pm
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:
Reading this thread
I live on a very tight budget.
I can't afford any fish (except canned) or meat/poultry except some on shabbos.
My kids don't tolerate deli meats for some reason (they get nauseous or vomit)
My typical dinners are:
Pasta with cheese and tomato sauce
Sardines with crackers
French toast (eggs fried onto bread) with cheese
Farina cooked in milk and butter and salt, maybe served with sliced hard boiled eggs on the side for added protein.
Fresh home made pizza in the pizza maker
I am not so great with preparing veggies but I always have raw veggies at home and I trained my kids to eat them raw and whole such as whole peeled carrots, whole plum tomatoes or sliced beef tomatoes, whole checked lettuce leaves, etc... and pickles or whole cucumbers are a favorite.
I also bake frozen veggies in the oven but not every day and my kids really like broccoli but they are expensive!
I wonder if there are any other ideas that would fit my budget?
Thank you all!

Legumes.
Parve cholent with beans, potatoes, barley.
Lentils and rice
Falafel (I saw a recipe using canned chickpeas)
Parve Chili. Can shred some cheese on top.
Split pea or lentil soup.
We do breakfast for supper- pancakes and scrambled eggs.

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 8:36 pm
You can also do fried tuna patties. My kids love it.

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 9:07 pm
About ten minutes. If it’s not entirely leftovers from Shabbos it’s mostly that, filled in with anything I don’t have to cook or can nuke like cheese, hummus, canned fish, frozen veggie cutlets. Now and then I put up a pot of soup that we have for several days.

Correction: it’s not Shabbos leftovers. It’s planned-overs. I make a lot al menat to have during the week. If we have company and nothing’s left, I’m af tzures.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 10:25 am
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
This! I'm cooking for 18+ years and cooking can take as much as an hour sometimes! Am I doing something wrong? Sauteeing an onion can take 15 minutes or more. Peeling and chopping and simmering....Frying takes forever.

On Monday when I was pressed for time I made Crispy Bake chicken, roast potatoes, and salad, and pulled out a soup from the freezer. The chicken took me five minutes ti prepare and my kids gobbled it up. I ended up putting in another 3 quarters to bake for the next shift.

Many times if I have something like that that takes a while, I let that start while I do other things. So it's not 15 minutes plus XYZ time for the rest of the stuff....
So I'll start sauteeing my onions while I cut up a salad or form hamburgers or whatever.

Mommyg8

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 10:37 am
So sometimes it can take me an hour (or more) to make supper. Last night was the opposite extreme:

Ten minutes from start to finish. Sloppy joe and spaghetti. I dumped the chopped meat in the pot to let it brown, put up spaghetti in the instant pot (2 minutes max, and yes it came out great!), pulled out soup from the freezer and roasted frozen cauliflower (warmed up the soup in the oven while the cauliflower was cooking). The only thing that took more than a second was browning the chopped meat.

But obviously the soup was made on a previous night, my kids LIKE the chopped meat plain, and the cauliflower was cleaned and cut in the factory... there was a lot of labor involved, just wasn't done by me at the moment.

Now I'm wondering what I did with all that extra time!

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 11:58 am
Mommyg8 wrote:
So sometimes it can take me an hour (or more) to make supper. Last night was the opposite extreme:

Ten minutes from start to finish. Sloppy joe and spaghetti. I dumped the chopped meat in the pot to let it brown, put up spaghetti in the instant pot (2 minutes max, and yes it came out great!), pulled out soup from the freezer and roasted frozen cauliflower (warmed up the soup in the oven while the cauliflower was cooking). The only thing that took more than a second was browning the chopped meat.

But obviously the soup was made on a previous night, my kids LIKE the chopped meat plain, and the cauliflower was cleaned and cut in the factory... there was a lot of labor involved, just wasn't done by me at the moment.

Now I'm wondering what I did with all that extra time!

This is the kind of thing I do every night.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking