Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Kid is whispering to her friend during class.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 7:58 pm
She isn't disrupting the class and does participate sometimes, but also whispers to a friend in the back of the classroom. Should I say something? Or ignore it since it technically doesn't bother me

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 8:00 pm
When she whispers, ask her "is there something you'd like to share with the class?"

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 8:02 pm
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
When she whispers, ask her "is there something you'd like to share with the class?"

So I should disrupt the rest of the class for this student?

Genius

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 8:09 pm
I'd wait and see if it get's worse. It also depends if it has a negative effect on the girl she is whispering too (and everyone in between). I believe in ignoring/pretending not to notice unless the misbehavior is serious.

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 8:10 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So I should disrupt the rest of the class for this student?

Do not do that! If you choose to stop her, talk to her in private. Don't humiliate her in front of everyone.

proudmomma

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 8:15 pm
I agree with Genius. Best to ignore when possible. If it's disruptive or even just annoying you& you don't want things to escalate.I find walking over quietly to her desk, making eye contact & quietly but firmly remind her that there's no talking in class to be the most effective.
Besides blatant chutzpah Never Discipline In Front Of The Class!

proudmomma

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 8:17 pm
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:

What's your goal? This is a shaming technique & awful!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 9:47 pm
[quote="proudmomma"]I agree with Genius. Best to ignore when possible. If it's disruptive or even just annoying you& you don't want things to escalate.I find walking over quietly to her desk, making eye contact & quietly but firmly remind her that there's no talking in class to be the most effective.
Besides blatant chutzpah Never Discipline In Front Of The Class![/quote
Thanks. This is more what I thought. Not easy the way that the classroom is set up to go to her desk, but I can give her a look if I feel its needed.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 10:04 pm
My daughter is a very good student and hates when kids whisper to her. From the teachers point of view she doesn't seem disturbed but she comes home upset that she missed words and fell behind on some work. I would call the girl over and tell her that the whispering has to stop. It's really not right to other kids that do not want to be disturbed.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 11:11 pm
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
My daughter is a very good student and hates when kids whisper to her. From the teachers point of view she doesn't seem disturbed but she comes home upset that she missed words and fell behind on some work. I would call the girl over and tell her that the whispering has to stop. It's really not right to other kids that do not want to be disturbed.

This is a good point... maybe I should speak to her after class.

DrMom

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 1:07 am
If she is really super-sensitive, pull her aside after class is over and say something to her 1:1.

proudmomma wrote:
What's your goal? This is a shaming technique & awful!

Meh. Yeah, it embarrasses the whisperer -- for like a second. She realizes that her whispering is disturbing others, she feels self-conscious, and then she stops. It's not going to traumatize her for life.

zaq

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 5:46 am
Change her seat to one near you and tell her why. Of course she may just start shmoozing with her new neighbor but that’s a risk you have to take.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics