Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Play-Doh - am I the only one who's like this?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 11:34 pm
My kids are little - 2 and 3. They love playing with play dough, but they love to mix the colors, and I haaaaaate it. It makes me so nervous and then they all become these crazy gross colors that don't match the boxes... EW!

It makes me so nervous.

Do other people feel this way?

Or do you just let the kids mix the colors as they please and then let them play next time with weird mixture colors?

Ima4therecord

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 11:52 pm
I usually let me two year old play with a few colors at a time to prevent this from happening... And if she is done with yellow I will put it away... And keep in mind actual playdo isn't so expensive.(all the tools and stuff you have so you can just buy the actual playdo) .. So if it gets ruined... You can always buy more. Think of it like you bought an art activity for one use...

Genius

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 11:53 pm
I don't have play-doh yet. Seriously thinking if I will survive this tzaar when I buy it eventually. It's painful like a crooked frame on the wall. I get you. Maybe when they are a bit older you can try to teach them to keep it separate. for now Id buy new ones when it gets too terrible

avrahamama

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 11:56 pm
I hate it too! I try to hold them off but then one month before Purim I let them do whatever bthey want. Let that playdough become the color of goose poops! Because I know I throw it out before pesach.

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 11:56 pm
I have a 2 yr old playgroup and I buy a few packs all the same color. I only give out one color at a time or 2 colors that won't look gross when mixed up (like blue and green or yellow and orange)

Kiwi13

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 12:07 am
I let them mix colors. Law of natural consequences will teach them how to play with play doh if they don’t want smooshy colors. For now they don’t care and neither do I. Lots of bigger battles to choose. Plus I like the smell of play doh and don’t personally care what it looks like. The kids like building with it and haven’t yet been bothered by the mixed up colors.

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 6:08 am
I don’t even allow play doh at home at all. Yuck. That’s what I pay tuition for!

Elfrida

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 6:16 am
Just make the play dough. One batch, one colour! When that batch is done, make the new batch in a different colour.

Much cheaper, no mixing of colours, and you don't have to worry if they start to eat it.

At work now. If I remember I'll post the recipe when I get home. There are plenty to of recipes on line, as well.

real israeli

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 6:30 am
I buy the dollar tree play dough - comes 4 tubs with diff colors for $1. When we finish playing it’s straight to the garbage. It’s not the original company but my kids don’t care and this way I don’t either.

watergirl

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 6:32 am
I let them do whatever they want. Its their toy. Mixing the colors may annoy me as the adult, but it does not ruin the function of the toy. If the kid mixes it, they do not care if its a gross color. This is the small stuff not to sweat.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 8:11 am
This is why it's called PLAY-doh. Kids are supposed to play with it. If mixing colors and experimenting is part of their play, then the doh is doing it's job. Using your creativity is crucial for developing intelligence and problem solving.

If you make their lives rigid, you'll suck all the fun out of it. They're Jewish kids. They'll have enough rules in their lives as they grow up. Let them mix the colors!

It's a shame most of us don't remember what it was like to be a child.

angelgirl

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 8:17 am
I was about to turn off my phone to tidy up green mouldy colour playdoh and then saw thread!!

Used to annoy me terribly, but I see kids aren’t all that bothered... one child is and won’t play with it like this but he is older now anyway so I allow little ones to do as they wish.

Kiwi13

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 10:11 am

From this morning. I like it, actually!

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 10:17 am
Wow, all of you allow play-doh in your house?
My mom never allowed it, don't know if I will. It stains everything. Esp the off brands, sometimes the dye is too strong.

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 10:34 am
Lol! This is how I noticed my 2 year old son was color blind. He was so careful not to mix colors, but the red and green kept ending up together. When I would point it out to him he looked at me so blankly! No idea what I was talking about LOL

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 11:03 am
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
My mom never allowed it, don't know if I will. It stains everything. Esp the off brands, sometimes the dye is too strong.

Nope, see up thread. Not me. No slime either. And my house is far from a museum it still, no way

mommyhood

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 11:43 am
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:

I haven’t had any issues with the name brand staining anything. I won’t buy off brand crayons or markers or paints because those really do stain. Playdoh is played at the table only and if it’s a really young kid I put on a smock so they don’t smoosh it into their clothes. If you really want to contain the mess put on a plastic tablecloth.

Kiwi13

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 11:47 am
I don’t like the smell of the off brands, and some of them stain and feel greasy. Name brand play doh is where it’s at! Smells like childhood and happiness.

singleagain

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 11:48 am
Kiwi13 wrote:

From this morning. I like it, actually!

That is gorgeous!

Kiwi13

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 11:49 am
singleagain wrote:
That is gorgeous!

I agree! It helps that they left it out a little too long last time and it toughened up (the colors didn’t smoosh all the way together).
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics