Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Defiant 6 yr old

solo

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 6:15 am
Every year since kindergarten I get a call around this time of yr from my daughters teacher.
“She’s cute and smart and keeping up with the class but she’s becoming a bit disruptive.”
Then in a while I’ll get another call about her behavior escalating. By the end of the yr the teacher is completely exasperated.
I just got the first call from her 1st grade teacher. “She’s an adorable girl. Very playful. She has a way of getting other girls to interact during class... She suggested I speak to my daughter so she knows mom n teacher r on the same page
Since she’s a toddler dd has been in a power struggle. Her playgroup Morah used to present everything as a choice (do u wanna eat lunch or continue playing...) I mostly do the same at home. I know that’s not possible in a classroom setting. I’m not sure how to help or incentivize her
She saw a therapist last yr who classified her behavior as clowning. But her best suggestion was reward charts. Which didn’t help
So of course I’ll speak to her tomorrow morning. But I’m also pretty sure I’ll be hearing from her teacher again soon

rachel0615

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 6:32 am
solo wrote:
Every year since kindergarten I get a call around this time of yr from my daughters teacher.
“She’s cute and smart and keeping up with the class but she’s becoming a bit disruptive.”
Then in a while I’ll get another call about her behavior escalating. By the end of the yr the teacher is completely exasperated.
I just got the first call from her 1st grade teacher. “She’s an adorable girl. Very playful. She has a way of getting other girls to interact during class... She suggested I speak to my daughter so she knows mom n teacher r on the same page
Since she’s a toddler dd has been in a power struggle. Her playgroup Morah used to present everything as a choice (do u wanna eat lunch or continue playing...) I mostly do the same at home. I know that’s not possible in a classroom setting. I’m not sure how to help or incentivize her
She saw a therapist last yr who classified her behavior as clowning. But her best suggestion was reward charts. Which didn’t help
So of course I’ll speak to her tomorrow morning. But I’m also pretty sure I’ll be hearing from her teacher again soon

Why is giving choices not possible in a classroom setting? I teach in a MO day school and in all the diff classes I have had, I built choice into the schedule. There were some non negotiables like following the classroom rules. But even that has a choice- follow them or have a meeting with the principal.

I'm also wondering why a behavior chart didnt work. Was it a private or public one? Did she care.about the prize being offered? Also I'm wondering if she had jobs in the classroom and really felt like she was the leader to another more shy student if she would act differently because she would have a positive Avenue to put all her leadership skills and energy into...

Like I tell all parents- every child can become a positive part of a classroom community. We just need to help them get there.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics