Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
What is the handwritten letters left corner of invitations

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 1:44 pm
When I get invitations I see few letter in handwriting. It looks like abbreviation. What is it. Since I’m mailing dd’s invitations now. Am I supposed to mark the invitations. Is it going to make it easier to sort the invitations out?

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 1:49 pm
its a method to figure out who responded to the invitations that you have sent out

ra_mom

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 1:51 pm
Some people write the category in abbreviations on the corner of the return card envelope so that when the envelopes come back to you, you can sort into piles even before you open the return cards.
It makes things easier for when you're preparing the seating charts. (Example KF kallahs friends, CF chossons friends, B Berg family, S Smith family. etc etc.

zaq

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 2:53 pm
People wrote this where it’s visible? Every invite I ever got had it on the reverse side of the response card.

Sometimes it’s a number corresponding to the number on the guest list, just in case the guests forget to write their names on the card. So when the card says only “Mazal tov! We’re so excited, wouldn’t miss this for anything in the world!” you look on the back, see it’s number 222, check your master list and find that 222 is Aunt Thelma and Uncle Mortimer. But if it’s Aunt Thelma, Uncle Mortimer, and Cousins Percival, Petunia and Priscilla, you may want to call them to find out “mi vami haholchim” because Cousin Petunia has agoraphobia and never goes anywhere, and last you heard Cousin Percival was on a hush-hush assignment in Barrow, Alaska (aka in jail for fraud).

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 5:36 pm
It’s on the actual invitation on the top corner. And it’s on multiple invitations from different weddings.

Frenchfry

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 6:34 pm
zaq wrote:
People wrote this where it’s visible? Every invite I ever got had it on the reverse side of the response card.

Sometimes it’s a number corresponding to the number on the guest list, just in case the guests forget to write their names on the card. So when the card says only “Mazal tov! We’re so excited, wouldn’t miss this for anything in the world!” you look on the back, see it’s number 222, check your master list and find that 222 is Aunt Thelma and Uncle Mortimer. But if it’s Aunt Thelma, Uncle Mortimer, and Cousins Percival, Petunia and Priscilla, you may want to call them to find out “mi vami haholchim” because Cousin Petunia has agoraphobia and never goes anywhere, and last you heard Cousin Percival was on a hush-hush assignment in Barrow, Alaska (aka in jail for fraud).
LOL

LOL Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 6:59 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It’s on the actual invitation on the top corner. And it’s on multiple invitations from different weddings.

Just to be clear, you're not referring to BS"D (b’syata d’shmaya).

Anonymous in case I look stupid.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 9:37 pm
amother [ Oak ] wrote:

She said on the left corner. BSD is on the right.

I agree it's probably just a code to identify who responded. People tend to forget to write their names when responding.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 6:47 am
bsd I know, others????

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 7:50 am
amother [ Oak ] wrote:

Not bsd just random letter. 3 or 4 letters

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 7:50 am
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
She said on the left corner. BSD is on the right.

I agree it's probably just a code to identify who responded. People tend to forget to write their names when responding.

But it’s on the invitations not the return card

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 10:10 am
Bump

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 10:25 am
strange never saw that

zaq

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 5:06 pm
How about you scan and post the invite after covering up the rest of the text so people can see what you’re talking about? I’ve never seen such a thing, yet you’ve received several like this? Are they all from the same family?

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 6:07 pm
I have seen it over the years from diff family’s

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 6:15 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
When I get invitations I see few letter in handwriting. It looks like abbreviation. What is it. Since I’m mailing dd’s invitations now. Am I supposed to mark the invitations. Is it going to make it easier to sort the invitations out?

no you aren't supposed to do this.

zaq

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 7:30 pm
People are copycats. It wouldn’t surprise me in the least to learn that an influential someone at one time mistakenly scribbled on a few invitations, sent them out that way, and the recipients, thinking this was a “thing,” followed suit, until soon everyone from Lower Boiberik was doing this without a clue as to why.

Somebody please tell us that the letters are Yiddish for RSVP or are a Kasrilevkan code for “you’re going to get a kibbud so you’d better show up.”
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics