Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Trader Joe’s

mommy201

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 5:44 pm
Really enjoying having Trader Joe’s right near Lakewood. Love trying out all the fun new products.
I know from some sources that many of the OU D items are really OU - DE and would allow many ppl to use. For example I called the OU today and they said the frozen prebaked cinnamon buns (nog rugelach) are really DE and it says D on the box.
Does anyone know about other products that they confirmed are really DE? Would love to check them out.

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 5:50 pm
If it says ou d, just see by the ingredients if it says a disclaimer "contains milk". If not, then it's de.

mommy201

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 5:57 pm
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
If it says ou d, just see by the ingredients if it says a disclaimer "contains milk". If not, then it's de.

Actually this cinnamon buns said may contain traces of milk and the OU said it was considered DE.

I want to know if anyone called on other products to ask.

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 6:56 pm
mommy201 wrote:
Actually this cinnamon buns said may contain traces of milk and the OU said it was considered DE.

I want to know if anyone called on other products to ask.

If it says "may contain" and not a definite "contains", then it's de

trixx

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 8:50 pm
There's a kosher trader Joe's Facebook group

mommy201

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 9:03 pm
If it says "may contain" and not a definite "contains", then it's de

I hear. I would probably want to confirm it with hashgacha anyway. Also don’t want to look through a bunch of products to see if it’s ok, I want to know if ppl know of products that are ok.

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 9:09 pm
There are many products like that. I usually check ingredients and make sure non-dairy in it just may contain traces. I don't eat milchigs at all.

syrima

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 10:32 pm

I heard this from a reputable kashrus rabbi at the OU. So we will have the meringues or peanut date bars after a meat meal. This applies to ALL OUD products that do not say CONTAINS MILK. "May contain" just means traces on the equipment that's ok.

seeker

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 10:32 pm
I never ask, just read ingredients.
The chocolate chips don't have any actual dairy ingredients.
If I think of something else I'll add but that's the one I recall offhand.

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 10:37 pm
seeker wrote:
I never ask, just read ingredients.
The chocolate chips don't have any actual dairy ingredients.
If I think of something else I'll add but that's the one I recall offhand.

I heard the chocolate chips may actually be an issue- has anyone heard from the certifying agency if this is true or not?

The vanilla merangues I called about and was told they're DE.

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 10:41 pm
Just be aware that anything listed as "natural flavors" may be dairy. Otherwise I do check ingredients and allergen warnings and determine on my own what is actually dairy and what should be considered dairy equipment.

Moonlight

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 10:55 pm
Ummmm we have a friend who is a mashgiach in OU and said you cant just check for milk ingredients you'd recognize and assume its DE because some preservatives are dairy
But I also would love a list of DE items at trader Joe's

seeker

Post Fri, Nov 22 2019, 1:31 am
Moonlight wrote:
Ummmm we have a friend who is a mashgiach in OU and said you cant just check for milk ingredients you'd recognize and assume its DE because some preservatives are dairy

A lot of TJ items don't have these kinds of unknown ingredients. It's part of their MO. SOME things do, but not most. I don't have the chocolate chips on hand now so I can't double-check.

amother
Cerise

Post Fri, Nov 22 2019, 7:58 am
Moonlight wrote:

According to my grandfather (also a mashgiach in the ou), they legally have to write "contains milk" or "may contain traces of milk" or put "a milk derivative" in parenthesis next to uncommon ingredients in case of an allergy and dont want to get sued. If the package says ou-d, and doesnt say "contains milk", you're safe.

Moonlight

Post Fri, Nov 22 2019, 10:50 am
I wonder about the parve things that say contains traces of milk. Especially parve imitation meat

amother
Violet

Post Fri, Nov 22 2019, 11:11 am
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
Just be aware that anything listed as "natural flavors" may be dairy. Otherwise I do check ingredients and allergen warnings and determine on my own what is actually dairy and what should be considered dairy equipment.

My father who’s a mashgiach (for a different kashrus agency) says the same thing so I always call the OU if it says OUD.

Has anyone heard that OU might be bringing back the DE? I feel like I saw a product with an OUDE and was shocked or maybe I just heard that it’s coming back??

Moonlight

Post Fri, Nov 22 2019, 11:56 am
I really wish they would. It would make life a lot easier. Or publish a D vs DE booklet

amother
Violet

Post Fri, Nov 22 2019, 12:07 pm
Moonlight wrote:
I really wish they would. It would make life a lot easier. Or publish a D vs DE booklet

Yes I hope so too! I know they have some of the products on their website to tell you but they don’t have all of them. Plus if they’re not willing to tell you if it’s D or DE why can’t they just print it on the package??

amother
Aquamarine

Post Fri, Nov 22 2019, 12:18 pm
seeker wrote:
A lot of TJ items don't have these kinds of unknown ingredients. It's part of their MO. SOME things do, but not most. I don't have the chocolate chips on hand now so I can't double-check.

I think the issue is there they are using the same bagging equipment as dairy chips so there is a chance dairy chips could get mixed it.

gdgirl

Post Fri, Nov 22 2019, 12:53 pm
I have heard the same as moonlight. I have also called OU about a product that didnt list milk or anything else that looked like milk but was still told that product in fact must be considered dairy so better to call about each product
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics