Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
What do you do when the kids are sick??
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 6:10 pm
I am not even allowed to have an in-home babysitter even if I could afford it! I bet someone out there can guess what my business is...

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 6:20 pm
It’s tough. People need back up plans. I would love to work but since I don’t have childcare help I am not able to. Maybe when kids get older. Yes I know people need the money so they don’t have a choice. My friends who work have take turns taking off husband and wife. Have full time nannies in the home. Have family help watching the kids.

chocolatecake

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 6:26 pm
When a kid is sick I take off from work. If it’s a long sicknesses dh May share the wealth and take off too. On the days where they are under the weather but not really sick they can come with me to work. I have no family nearby.

honeymoon

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 7:19 pm
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
That’s so nice of you to pay your workers enough to hire an in home babysitter and have a back up for when the babysitter can’t come.

Ha! I wish. I'm not the boss. I work for a boss.

Bleemee

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 10:59 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
I am not even allowed to have an in-home babysitter even if I could afford it! I bet someone out there can guess what my business is...
Tell us!

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 11:01 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:

Allowed by whom? You don't follow the law anyway.

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 11:22 pm
Waiting for the "my kids dont ever get sick cuz I dont vaccinate" response LOL

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 11:26 pm
Last winter was my first winter as a mother and this year I have another baby too. My older one got sick so often it was crazy, even the doctor said it was extreme. I had to work hours at strange times to make everything work. My doctor recommended taking elderberry syrup as an immune booster, probiotics daily and vitamin c. I'm trying that this winter along with washing hands really often and hopefully I won't have this question of what to do when the kids are sick too often

amother
Coffee

Post Fri, Nov 22 2019, 12:13 am
BH it's not too often. I work for family so I am flexible. BH dh can also be sort of flexible. We both can take sick kids to our offices.

amother
Mint

Post Fri, Nov 22 2019, 12:32 am
amother [ Blue ] wrote:

Nope.

I cannot fathom a job that doesn't allow you to take maternity leave. What happens if you have a c-section or a complicated recovery?

And how can you not have an in-house babysitter? Yet you can hire other women to work for you (obv. not women with young children, per your previous post).

amother
Periwinkle

Post Fri, Nov 22 2019, 12:47 am
This is why I stopped working—
With my first baby I worked 1.5 hours away from home. I felt like I was going to have a nervous breakdown when baby was not well enough to go to the babysitter... it was a nightmare trying to make arrangements and often things fell through.
Eventually I had my own home business. I had a lot of young kids at the time and when they were sick and I had to care for them during the day I got nothing done until they fell asleep. Many nights I would work until 2-3am.
At this point, we are living without my income since I was seriously loosing my sanity when my kids got sick and I had to work but had no one to watch them.

amother
Purple

Post Fri, Nov 22 2019, 5:15 am
hodeez wrote:
But how do you take a sick kid to work? Won't they infect everyone there? Also when they're sick they really need to sleep... Do they sleep somewhere in the office? So curious how some mother's make this work.

We're not allowed to bring kids to work but if we were I could totally make it happen.

I have my own office and I could cancel all meetings for the day and just do paperwork.

But unfortunately we're not allowed Sad

amother
Blue

Post Fri, Nov 22 2019, 7:50 am
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
Nope.

I cannot fathom a job that doesn't allow you to take maternity leave. What happens if you have a c-section or a complicated recovery?

And how can you not have an in-house babysitter? Yet you can hire other women to work for you (obv. not women with young children, per your previous post).

What you cannot fathom are the draconian rules and regulations governing a licensed group family day care provider. I CAN take off up to 30 days a year but it is incredibly overwhelmingly difficult to find someone willing to jump through all the legal hoops required to become a licensed substitute. And then they have to even be available and willing to work. Any of my own children in the home under the age of 6 would count as one of 12 children allowed even if I had an in-house babysitter (who would also have to go through plenty of clearance checks including finger printing just to be allowed in my home at the same time the group is running even if she is not technically part of the program). And for the poster who said I am breaking the law get your facts straight not all businesses have the same labor laws and mine does not. I run my business %1000 legally with the consultation of lawyers and insurance agents. I follow every. single.law. to the T. I am almost NEVER absent and have given my life's blood to my work. I am a virtual slave to this business. For the lowest remuneration around (save perhaps home health aides). I have missed siddur, chumash, chanukah plays, graduations, funerals, brissim you name just to follow the LAW. So I will LEGALLY hire whomever fits the requirements of this job. And that will not be someone with young children I can assure you.

amother
Blue

Post Fri, Nov 22 2019, 9:12 am
And by the way, I am a member of our union, CSEA and we are working hard with New York legislators to try and change some of the most recent and practically impossible to comply with regulations. If we do not manage to make some changes, next year will be my last in this business.

amother
Violet

Post Fri, Nov 22 2019, 11:22 am
Most working moms send their sick kids to school. I heard from many women that they have no other choice they give the kid tylenol and send them to school. Ask preschool and playgroup teachers how many sick kids they get.

honeymoon

Post Fri, Nov 22 2019, 12:07 pm
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
Most working moms send their sick kids to school. I heard from many women that they have no other choice they give the kid tylenol and send them to school. Ask preschool and playgroup teachers how many sick kids they get.

That is absolutely terrible and unfair to the child, the teacher and the other kids in the class.

amother
Lilac

Post Fri, Nov 22 2019, 12:53 pm
amother [ Violet ] wrote:

Preschool teacher's assistant here: maybe it depends on the community, but we don't usually get sick kids at school. But I think many of our Mom's don't work, or they have family to help out.

amother
Navy

Post Fri, Nov 22 2019, 12:59 pm
honeymoon wrote:
That is absolutely terrible and unfair to the child, the teacher and the other kids in the class.

Yes and no. My doctor said that since my child gets fever every time he catches even a cold, it's fine to give him Motrin and he can go to playgroup since he acts and feels totally fine. I never ended up doing it because he only told me this after a few months and the next time he got sick he was actually sick.

tichellady

Post Fri, Nov 22 2019, 1:14 pm
honeymoon wrote:

I used to think that but the truth is that for most things a child is contagious way before he/she is symptomatic so as long as the child is feeling good enough to go to school and it’s not something very dangerous like the flu I don’t really see what the big deal is. Obviously the details are relevant here

amother
Lilac

Post Fri, Nov 22 2019, 4:02 pm
tichellady wrote:
I used to think that but the truth is that for most things a child is contagious way before he/she is symptomatic so as long as the child is feeling good enough to go to school and it’s not something very dangerous like the flu I don’t really see what the big deal is. Obviously the details are relevant here

As a preschool teacher (2-3 yo) the problem is that when they are sick, they are miserable. They cry and throw tantrums and if only for this reason, it's better to keep home if possible. This is obviously different with older kids.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics