Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Manhattan high school
Previous  1  2

amother
Bronze

Post Fri, Nov 22 2019, 8:27 am
No one??

amother
Lemon

Post Sat, Nov 23 2019, 6:29 pm
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
Bump
Looking into this school. Can anyone tell me more about the hashkafa? Do the girls come from Bais Yaakov schools? How frum is the parent body?

Some of the girls come from Bais Yakov schools. The school is not like a typical bais yakov though because they do encourage SATs and college and careers and as far as I know, they’re pro Israel slightly zionistic and a little more progressive / worldly than your typical bais yakov. It is a frum school and the majority of parents would be considered frum.

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Oct 05 2020, 10:26 am
Hello, I am bumping this thread once again as I'm looking into this school. I understand Manhattan High School is for:

- Highly Achieving Girls / Academically strong girls
- Bais Yaakov leaning but with a capacity for some diversity among the hashkafos
- There seems to be a fair amount of rich girls, but there also seems to be good middos around it and I haven't heard anyone complain about cliques based on wealth

Can I add the following questions:

- TRANSPORTATION: Geographically, are there a lot of New Jersey girls that commute in? How about Brooklyn and Staten Island? How is the transportation? (asking re a few areas because we may relocate)

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 2:03 pm
Bumping...
Anyone with up to date info on their tuition? And if they give scholarships? I can’t find it on their website.
Thanks!

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 2:58 pm
From what I know (you can see on their site), Kodesh are Bais Yaakov hashkafa, but English too open minded in my opinion, some kids are from NYC, and teachers take them to museums, teachers are not frum and maybe even non jewish? so I didnt like the English dept.

Why dont you go with BY D rav Meir?

More consistent between English and Kodesh.

Masores if you look for not so much academic stress. solid hashkafa, good homes.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 3:05 pm
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
Alternatives to MHS for a very bright, very sincere (in yiddishkeit, and otherwise) girl?

(D'rav Meir is not for us).
I have a relative who considered MHS but ended up going to Prospect. Things may have changed as this was more than 10 years ago. The tuition at MHS was not affordable to them.
She did very well in Prospect, went on in her chosen career where she is quite successful.

cnc

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 3:07 pm
Chayalle wrote:
I have a relative who considered MHS but ended up going to Prospect. Things may have changed as this was more than 10 years ago. The tuition at MHS was not affordable to them.
She did very well in Prospect, went on in her chosen career where she is quite successful.

I have a group of friends that were in Prospect or MHS. They’ were pretty compatible or I should say had a lot of overlap in my days ....
I don’t know if things have changed since then

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 3:09 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
From what I know (you can see on their site), Kodesh are Bais Yaakov hashkafa, but English too open minded in my opinion, some kids are from NYC, and teachers take them to museums, teachers are not frum and maybe even non jewish? so I didnt like the English dept.

Why dont you go with BY D rav Meir?

More consistent between English and Kodesh.

Masores if you look for not so much academic stress. solid hashkafa, good homes.

I would say kodesh is 90% by hashkafah but the students aren't all BY hashkafah. At all.

The English is a mix. You will have things that would not be tolerated in a BY environment. But for MO machmir probably comfortable.

The stress is a big thing and pushy parents are a big thing.

Only a very strong yeshivish girl should go there.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 12:35 pm
Anyone have current info on MHS? How does it compare to Prospect in terms of academics and the type of students/families they attract?

nicole81

Post Sun, Oct 10 2021, 1:07 pm
amother [ DarkMagenta ] wrote:
Anyone have current info on MHS? How does it compare to Prospect in terms of academics and the type of students/families they attract?

They attract similar families. Last year's 8th grade class had graduates going to mhs. Imo, mhs academics are superior to prospect.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics