Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Addressing calling out in class -- tips please!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 11:45 pm
Any tips on how to handle this? I teach 2nd graders and this is my biggest class management challenge. They just call out constantly, while I'm talking, a peer is talking, when it's quiet work time, basically whenever they feel like it. I keep asking them to stop. Sometimes when I'm talking they are talking over me. And then I feel like I have to keep raising my voice to be heard. They talk when another classmate was called on, and I can't hear what that kid is saying. Sometimes I just stop talking and wait, but I end up needing to do that like 3 times just to get one sentence out. What can I do about this??

I have an incentive sticker chart in place, which just involves me adding stickers at the end of class each day after they leave the room. They sometimes ask me how many stickers they have earned at the end of class, and I always say you will see tomorrow. I can't answer everyone on the spot, and I feel like I need to stop and think how many stickers each person gets based on my overall feel for their behavior that day. It's a self-contained class, so only 6 kids and myself.

Is there anything wrong with saying "that is rude" "you are being rude"? Sometimes I get so annoyed by it, when it happens repeatedly in a matter of just 10 or 15 minutes. It's a negative behavior that I'm trying to tackle, not a positive behavior that I can award each time a kid does the wanted behavior.

I need a simple, practical system to effect change with this issue.

Thanks so much in advance for your suggestions!!

amother
Lavender

Post Fri, Nov 22 2019, 12:39 am
Have you tried lowering your voice instead of raising it? This often gets people to stop talking and listen. In addition have you tried to stop talking but then address the culprit. Not in a demeaning or harsh way, but rather Chana, I know that you have something that you are excited to share, however Rina is speaking right now, lets allow her to finish and then we can hear whats on your mind.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Nov 22 2019, 12:46 am
yes definitely tried the latter to address the culprit, but then it happens again and again with the same student or another.
I do tend to show more frustration though a lot of the time, maybe I need to say it more calmly and evenly.

The only thing that has helped a little is talking to a kid one on one before or after class, but somehow they revert back to calling out again after a few days.

I haven't tried the lowering my voice trick, because normally they are talking like they don't care or notice what they are doing. I don't see how continuing in a low voice will help, even stopping sometimes they go on... They are young and immature, they don't seem to be phased about missing what I have to say.

amother
Yellow

Post Fri, Nov 22 2019, 12:50 am
Can you try the "microphone" method, like you'll sometimes have when trying to facilitate communication between two people?

Have a toy microphone, and say that we are going to practice having only one person talking at a time during teaching time. "If you have something to say, raise your hand and I'll give you the mike."

That way if someone calls out, you can point to the microphone and they will raise their hand, you hand them the mike, and let them say their piece. With time, they might learn to raise their hands first.

DrMom

Post Fri, Nov 22 2019, 12:58 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It's a negative behavior that I'm trying to tackle, not a positive behavior that I can award each time a kid does the wanted behavior.

You can reward for every day a student does NOT interrupt someone.

Maybe you can also work it into your lessons on middot (showing kavod to one another, etc.).

EsaEinai

Post Fri, Nov 22 2019, 1:34 am
I do “class yes” from whole brain teaching. It’s an attention getter. If they’re talking when it’s time to do quiet work, I say class and they say yes. Or if I’m in the middle of teaching and kids keep calling out I say class and they say yes

Other attention getters we use are
Me: red light green light
Kids: 1, 2, 3

Me: stop look and listen
Kids: okay!

I still have to quiet individual boys down from time to time but this helps get the entire class quiet

nchr

Post Fri, Nov 22 2019, 7:20 am
If it's the same culprit, you need to call the parents and work on a plan and system for that student to help address the behavior.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Fri, Nov 22 2019, 7:33 am
A self contained class may need other methods. Non-verbal cues can help (walking around and touching a shoulder or a desk when someone is talking out to remind them not to.)

It may be too long for them to wait until the next day to see the sticker result. I wouldn't even do a sticker for a whole day of not calling out. If they mess up at 10am, what keeps them trying the rest of the day? And it's too long a goal. So in the beginning, maybe a star per subject in which each doesn't talk or call out, so they get direct reinforcement.

Bleemee

Post Fri, Nov 22 2019, 9:21 am
Website that talks about classroom management: https://www.smartclassroommana.....lass/

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, Nov 22 2019, 10:15 am
I have the exact same issues with high school kids. The two things that worked. Being very clear on expectations. Ignoring those that call out.

hanna2010

Post Fri, Nov 22 2019, 10:59 am
I’ve been teaching fir almost 25 yrs. my first year of teaching was a disaster and lost control of the class. An experience teacher coached me to do the following which I really stuck to and really got things under control.
I was teaching 3rd grade. I wrote across the board the following:
1. I will remain in my seat at all times
2. I will raise my hand before I speak.

Every single time one of those were breached, I quietly pointed to the rule and waited. The first few times I did this multiple times a day and then it began dwindling. I probably did this for 2-3 months straight. Before I said anything to the class- this went up on the board.
The kids would groan after a while as I did it, but it really worked.
I never had to say anything, and I stuck to my guns no matter what.
If you have to call the girls name out and then point, I think that’s fine too

Hatzkacha

imasinger

Post Fri, Nov 22 2019, 11:12 am
I love that! Practical, effective, smart.

OP, telling a 7 or 8 year old that they are being rude is going to leave them convinced that you dislike them, which is not conducive to good learning. The above strategy is way more effective.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Fri, Nov 22 2019, 11:36 am
Don't wait till the end of the day to add stickers. Do so through out the day. Say, I'm looking for 3 students who are showing me they are earning a sticker by remembering to raise their hand etc. Then do so. Change your incentive program if need be, I.e. they need x amount of stickers to earn the incentive by the end of the week.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics