Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
What would you do with this dress?
Previous  1  2

thanks

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 7:19 pm
I have a sleeveless dress that colpr
I wear it with a black shell, and black accessories - necklace, earrings, bracelet, shoes.

If you live in a frum community, take it to a fabric store. They can give you ideas.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 7:19 pm
If it's a shabbos dress that you have your heart set on, I would do it at an inexpensive dressmaker. I wouldn't do it for weekday since regular clothes are easier to find.
Otherwise find a shell in the exact shade.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 7:23 pm
ra_mom wrote:
If it's a shabbos dress that you have your heart set on, I would do it at an inexpensive dressmaker. I wouldn't do it for weekday since regular clothes are easier to find.
Otherwise find a shell in the exact shade.

The material is too thick and the style too elegant in person to be worn for weekday. I do really like it, especially since the color and style look great on me. Thanks. I think I'm going to go to a shell store and fabric store first and see what I can find, and if not, I'll buy another dress.

amother
Pink

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 7:34 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It was $50 and still is on the website. Not sure if I want to buy another one... is it really worthwhile?

It's worth it if you use the second one to make a top.

zaq

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 7:39 pm
Either top it with a bolero or jacket; have a dressmaker remove the sleeves and wear a contrasting shell under it if you can stand that look; or have a dressmaker replace the sleeves with long sleeves and camouflage the color with a lace or chiffon overlay. Or have her cover the sleeves and the entire front bodice with a lace overlay so that it looks as if the dress came that way.

It would be easier and possibly cheaper to have a dress made from scratch than to try to retrofit.
Personally I would take the easiest way out and wear a contrasting dressy jacket or bolero, which would have the added advantage of being suitable (no pun intended) for wearing with other dresses or skirts.

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 7:44 pm
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
Cut off the sleeves and wear a long sleeve black shell/ turtle neck underneath.

And add a thin black belt

thanks

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 7:51 pm
You can lengthen the sleeve from the middle.

Cut the sleeve about three inches before the end. Then add a contrasting fabric, then add the three inches back. Fabric could be black, or a pattern.

amother
Red

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 7:52 pm
Cut off the sleeve and add a shirt like this but with long sleeves https://www.google.com/imgres?.....IARAc
Or even better like http://www.malabardine.com/ima.....0.jpg if you can find in a matching blue

PP31419

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 8:01 pm
Short moto jacket is the easiest. Otherwise I would add tiered sleeves so you would have like three or four tiers sort of like a tiered skirt alternating in white and black so the sleeves would be fitted on top and then three big tiers. It can look awesome.

my mama

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 8:27 pm
Add on bell sleeves. Either the same color or contrast. Relatively easy and or inexpensive to create.

Rutabaga

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 9:46 pm
Buy fabric in a contrasting color to add to the sleeves and somewhere else on the dress for decoration so it looks like it came that way.

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 9:52 pm
I don't get the aversion to shells. I don't think it will look funny at all. You might find the exact match or you can do a contrasting color under. The layered look of short over long is in style in the non jewish world too. Just look around you will see it everywhere.

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 10:05 pm
Buy a second dress and add to the sleeves and a collar if you need.

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 10:08 pm
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
I don't get the aversion to shells. I don't think it will look funny at all. You might find the exact match or you can do a contrasting color under. The layered look of short over long is in style in the non jewish world too. Just look around you will see it everywhere.

Not so much anymore. It was very trendy a few years ago.

LittleMissMama

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 10:28 pm
It's a cute dress but pretty basic. So I would just return it and stop trying to figure out how to make it work. It's not worth the hassle. Or the $50 if you don't love it.

Elfrida

Post Fri, Nov 22 2019, 4:04 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It was $50 and still is on the website. Not sure if I want to buy another one... is it really worthwhile?

You can't wear it as it is. So either you spend more money to get a dress that you can wear, or you've wasted to original fifty dollars that you spent on it.

Or else you limit it to wearing around the house as it is. I have one or two dresses that are just on the edge of being halachically a acceptable, that I brought specifically to wear around the house when I know we are alone. Nothing exceptionally attractive, just comfortable. I have one white linen dress with sleeves just above my elbows and which just touches the knees. It was perfect for hot summer Shabbos afternoons around the house, but would never be seen in public wearing it. Whether you want to do something like that depends on you and your husband, of course.

miami85

Post Fri, Nov 22 2019, 11:17 am
Can you make the sleeves into more of a cap sleeves with a shell under it? I can see that looking really nice.

Butterfly

Post Fri, Nov 22 2019, 11:42 am
miami85 wrote:
Can you make the sleeves into more of a cap sleeves with a shell under it? I can see that looking really nice.

I was going to suggest the same as soon as I saw the photo of the dress...
It shouldn't be too costly to have it altered into cap sleeves.

miami85

Post Fri, Nov 22 2019, 11:46 am
yea I think the princess sleeve is pretty, and covering it with a blazer/bolero/shrug you lose the feminine flair of it.

dankbar

Post Sun, Nov 24 2019, 2:13 am
Blck shell
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics