Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Healthy snack when kids come home?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 24 2019, 8:53 am
Looking for ideas of healthy filling snacks that I could have ready for my kids when they come home from school? Fruit doesn't cut it...
I need something to tide them over till supper.
Thanks

Stars

Post Sun, Nov 24 2019, 9:05 am
Just fruit doesn't cut it for mine either. I serve

whole wheat crackers with peanut butter
nuts with fruit
cream cheese sandwich
Crackers with guacamole
String cheese or yogurt
Apples with honey

chatz

Post Sun, Nov 24 2019, 9:07 am
You can serve supper early. That's what I started doing. Otherwise, kids fill up on snacks and aren't interested in supper. And I felt like I was forever serving food.

But some ideas:
Fruit & veg- are great. Why do you discount them? Apples, oranges, grapes, bananas, cucumbers, carrots, peppers, celery sticks, nuts, raisins
Rice cakes
Whole wheat crackers
Granola bars, similar homemade oat/nuts/fruit combos
Cheesesticks
A sandwich if there is a long break till supper

meme6

Post Sun, Nov 24 2019, 9:11 am
What about a healthy muffin? My kids come home starved 4:15 I try and have supper ready.

amh

Post Sun, Nov 24 2019, 9:15 am
chatz wrote:
You can serve supper early. That's what I started doing. Otherwise, kids fill up on snacks and aren't interested in supper. And I felt like I was forever serving food.

But some ideas:
Fruit & veg- are great. Why do you discount them? Apples, oranges, grapes, bananas, cucumbers, carrots, peppers, celery sticks, nuts, raisins
Rice cakes
Whole wheat crackers
Granola bars, similar homemade oat/nuts/fruit combos
Cheesesticks
A sandwich if there is a long break till supper

I also serve supper right away. I prepare the night before or take from the freezer. It’s extremely hard to be so prepared but I find that if my children eat dinner right away then the rest of my night is much smoother bec they aren’t hungry or whining when is supper. The are also all under 8 so not sure if this would work for older children as well. It also helps limit the fighting until my husband comes home closer to 5😀

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 24 2019, 9:31 am
1 kid comes back at 3:20. Another at 4. Too early for supper. ( I actually tried it once but it wasn't worth it).
Any recipes for healthy muffins and granola?
Thanks. Mo

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Nov 24 2019, 9:32 am
Are they old enough for soup?

creditcards

Post Sun, Nov 24 2019, 9:36 am
amh wrote:
I also serve supper right away. I prepare the night before or take from the freezer. It’s extremely hard to be so prepared but I find that if my children eat dinner right away then the rest of my night is much smoother bec they aren’t hungry or whining when is supper. The are also all under 8 so not sure if this would work for older children as well. It also helps limit the fighting until my husband comes home closer to 5😀

Do you give them supper again before they go to sleep. I would need to serve supper twice if I would give so early.

avrahamama

Post Sun, Nov 24 2019, 9:39 am
creditcards wrote:
Do you give them supper again before they go to sleep. I would need to serve supper twice if I would give so early.

Yes. We have first dinner and second dinner in this house... Or dinner early and then snack later.

pause

Post Sun, Nov 24 2019, 9:40 am
Carrot, celery, pepper sticks to dip into guacomole or ketchup/mayo
Half slice of grapefruit sprinkled with ground nuts
Pretzel sticks to dip into chummus
Yogurt with banana
Peanut butter rice cake sandwich
Pitted dates filled with a whole almond - my kids love these
Pomegranate seeds - very filling

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Nov 24 2019, 9:42 am
BTW, whenever you feed them supper, it's a proven fact that 88% of all fruits and vegetables kids eat are eaten during that bedtime "I'm hungry"/"If you're really hungry, have some carrot sticks and apple slices" hour.

chicco

Post Sun, Nov 24 2019, 10:08 am
We do:
Mango slices
Apple slices
Hot pretzels
Pretzels and hummus
Pretzels and cheese
Cheese sticks
Yogurt
Frozen waffles
Homemade muffins and granola bars
Crackers and jelly/other spreads

amh

Post Sun, Nov 24 2019, 10:17 am
creditcards wrote:

My 3 year old goes to bed at 6 so not for him. Not for my 5 year old either. But my 8 year old sometimes asks for something closer to bed time in which case I offer fruit or veg or more of dinner. Now,In the winter I almost always serve soup sun -wed so my kids eat that first while rest of dinner warms or finished cooking. Soup is filling and hot so it’s not like they are finished eating by 415. They start eating about 410ish and we also shmooze about the day so I’d say dinner is usually done about 450...
Op I hear that about the early pickup. My 3 year old comes home 330 and he usually has a yogurt and/or crackers or tea biscuits.
It’s a tough call but I do find that when I serve dinner this time my kids eat better and healthier and they also eat more of a variety of foods bec they are so hungry. Not that I force them to eat this dinner, but they are less stubborn and more willing to try... it kind of happened naturally and I’m not complaining Smile

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Nov 24 2019, 11:24 am
I usually give a bowl of cereal and milk or grilled cheese. Then dinner about an hour and a half later.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children