Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Psychologist for Autism Diagnosis
Previous  1  2

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sat, Nov 23 2019, 9:38 pm
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
Thanks for opening this question

I'm not the op, but I have a very similar question. My child is 3.5 though and Wana know if same goes for this age too? Therapists and drs have no idea what the underlying cause for his behavior and speech delay is coming from.
First they said it's apraxia, but his behavior doesn't match with normal.

Sorry op if u mind my question here leme know and I'll open separate thread.

Thanks in advance

Have you done a full neuropsychological evaluation? That's the most comprehensive, and if you use the right clinician it's also the most informative. Sometimes there is one underlying diagnosis that can account for all of the symptoms; sometimes there is more than one cause. Accurate diagnosis is extremely beneficial in my personal and professional experience.

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Nov 24 2019, 12:43 am
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
Have you done a full neuropsychological evaluation? That's the most comprehensive, and if you use the right clinician it's also the most informative. Sometimes there is one underlying diagnosis that can account for all of the symptoms; sometimes there is more than one cause. Accurate diagnosis is extremely beneficial in my personal and professional experience.

I was sent by my Dr to a pediatric neurologist. She asked a bunch of questions and said there's nothing to be done under the age of 5. She didn't even look at my son.

So who would be able to give me a clear diagnosis and path how to move on?

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Nov 24 2019, 7:57 am
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
I was sent by my Dr to a pediatric neurologist. She asked a bunch of questions and said there's nothing to be done under the age of 5. She didn't even look at my son.

Thats strange. Theres so much you can do with a little one! In fact- in my experience with my child- the younger the better.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Nov 24 2019, 9:40 am
amother [ Plum ] wrote:

That's very strange. I know children who were given a diagnosis by a neurologist under age 2 (not that I necessarily think that's a necessary step at that age). I really recommend working with a psychologist who specializes in neurophysiological evaluations. Don't expect it to be covered by insurance, it will be very expensive. But well worth it for what it provides.

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Nov 24 2019, 10:05 am
Iused Dr Soffer to get a diagnosis for ABA services as per the recommendation of my child’s school. She’s good for that. If you’re looking for more than a diagnosis, I don’t know. The year before, we had gone to the NYU Child Study Center, again on the school's recommendation. The school was NOT happy with the final report as they felt it didn’t give us the answers we were looking for. They were specifically looking for ADHD and in fact did not administer the test mentioned above. They (the school) would probably not advise others to go there but you can decide for yourself. It was also a lot of money.
Good luck!

This!!! This is what we need to be careful about!!

The school gives aba therapy so they want you to get a diagnosis of autism!!!
What if he’s really not autistic and won’t benefit from aba therapy? The school only looks at you through aba glasses because that’s their specialty!!

There are many psychologist that will not test or diagnos a child under 6 but there are some that will.

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Nov 24 2019, 10:41 am
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
Thats strange. Theres so much you can do with a little one! In fact- in my experience with my child- the younger the better.

I wish you can help guide me. Have no idea what to do, where to turn. This child is suffering. Therapy doesn't make a ounce of a difference. But I don't Wana bombard this thread cuz it's not mine. Can I pm u in any way? Or should I open new thread?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics