Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
If you work F/T and have toddlers at home...

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 24 2019, 9:12 am
What time do you put dinner on the table each night?

What time is bedtime?

How often do you bathe the kids?

amother
Seagreen

Post Sun, Nov 24 2019, 9:26 am
I don't do it currently but I did it for 2.5 years a couple of years ago.

I put dinner in the crocpot or did something prepped in the freezer that took just a few minutes on the grill. Marinated cutlets or chicken patties mostly. Easy sides like fries that took 20 minutes to bake or peeled potatoes the night before kept in water and put them up to cook when I got home. Plus salad or cut up veggies. So dinner was generally a half hour after we got home. Once a month hot dogs and once a month pizza.

It was very very hard.

Bedtime was about 730 in the winter and 830 in the summer but adjust according to how much sleep your kid needs.
Baths happened 2-3 times a week in the winter and every night in the summer.

nicole81

Post Sun, Nov 24 2019, 9:36 am
Dinner goes out anytime between 6 and 715. When dinner is later, the kids bathe and get into pajamas first.

We start bringing them up to bed at 740. Ideally lights are out by 8, but some nights it doesn't happen until 830 or 845. I'm still nursing my youngest and it can sometimes complicate bedtime.

Bathing... Eh... Twice a week except in the summer when it's more often. I do a quick but full wash down with them every night though.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Nov 24 2019, 9:46 am
Now I work from home so the schedule is very different. I don't cook during the day but when I finish work at 4:30 I am able to cook dinner right away as opposed to having to first drive home, get the kids.... so dinner is served before 6 and bed time starts at 7. Baths every night for everyone.
But when I started working full time out of the house I had full time help. It was a frum woman so I prepped dinner the night before and she put it in the oven for me. When I got home it was ready. Kids ate before 6. Bedtime was 7-7:30. Baths every night.
Having a Jewish woman babysit made all the difference because she was able to turn on the oven so dinner was ready early.

bsy

Post Sun, Nov 24 2019, 10:12 am
Kids get a lot of non-supper suppers, like fish sticks, oatmeal, eggs, tuna etc. Or they get leftovers. I make supper for my husband and myself later. Kids get baths every other day in the winter more or less. Like Sunday morning, Monday night, Wednesday night, and Friday morning. Supper is around 5 or 530, bedtime 630-7.

keym

Post Sun, Nov 24 2019, 10:24 am
I had 2 toddlers and would walk in the door with them both at 5:15.
I would take the leftovers from the night before, pop it in the microwave and serve it immediately.
Then I would prepare supper for myself and my husband, planning extra for the kids.
My husband would walk in the door at 7:15. He would bathe the kids most nights and tuck them in while I finished up supper.
Then after supper, I would prepare 2 containers with food for the kids for the next night- cutting the chicken off the bone, etc.
The occasional time there wasn't leftovers, then we would do frozen pizza, fish sticks, chicken nuggets for the kids.

nicole81

Post Sun, Nov 24 2019, 10:28 am
Also want to add that we're very big on family dinners, which is why we sometimes eat later. I don't serve the toddlers separately, except before shabbat. At the very least they eat with our school age kids, youngest teens, and us on weeknights. It's not just about surviving the evening, but thinking through priorities.

keym

Post Sun, Nov 24 2019, 10:34 am
nicole81 wrote:
Also want to add that we're very big on family dinners, which is why we sometimes eat later. I don't serve the toddlers separately, except before shabbat. At the very least they eat with our school age kids, youngest teens, and us on weeknights. It's not just about surviving the evening, but thinking through priorities.

Totally agree it's about thinking through priorities.
I'm not a huge proponent of "family suppers". Maybe the way I was raised it was a huge stress.
But I like feeding kids when they're hungry, and then spending the quality time when they're not "hangry".
So in my case, I fed them right away, then when they were civil, I would play or color or do chores with them.
And my DH spent time with them by bathing, reading, and tucking them in.
OP, it's about what is important to you and then making a system that works.

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, Nov 24 2019, 11:08 am
DH gets home by 5:30 and has dinner on the table between 6 and 6:30 p.m. We bathe kids daily, but will sometimes skip the daily shower if a kid got home late from something or there's some other circumstance.

Bedtime is around 7:30 p.m. but the last kid might not fall asleep until afte 8 p.m.

mha3484

Post Sun, Nov 24 2019, 11:49 am
I cook on Sunday’s for the week. DH does pickup/waits for bus for oldest so when I come home around 5:30 I just put dinner in the oven to warm up. I usually nurse baby while it’s warming. We eat around 6 as a family. Ideally my 3 and 5 year olds go to bed around 7:30 and my 9 year old at 8:30. Everyone gets a shower motzei shabbos to start the week off clean. The rest of the week depends on if they are dirty, sweaty, blow out diaper etc. I think two to three showers a week in the winter is ideal for
My kids skin.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics