Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
12 year old boy - hoarse voice - wwyd?
Previous  1  2

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Nov 24 2019, 3:42 pm
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
This same thing happened when my son was 13 1/2. We all had a cold around the same time, but his hoarse, raspy voice continued way past everyone else. Then we realized his voice was changing. My FIL is an ENT and he gave him some voice and breathing exercises to do so he'd sound less raspy and learn to talk with his changing voice. It really helped! He just turned 15, and it's no longer raspy, just still getting deeper!

Just echoing that my son got hoarse at a precursor to his voice deepening -- he doesn't have any hoarseness left.

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Nov 09 2020, 12:38 pm
I am bumping this up. My toddler son is always getting hoarse. My pediatrician said I could bring him to an ENT but they will have to scope and that won’t be fun.
Any advice for me?
Ty

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Nov 09 2020, 1:24 pm
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
I am bumping this up. My toddler son is always getting hoarse. My pediatrician said I could bring him to an ENT but they will have to scope and that won’t be fun.
Any advice for me?
Ty
I don’t think scoping is a big deal. So just do that.

amother
Taupe

Post Mon, Nov 09 2020, 2:08 pm
SLP here. Scoping can be a pain, especially for a toddler. And most toddlers cannot really benefit from voice therapy as it requires a certain degree of maturity. But ask your ENT if scoping is necessary to rule out any medical issues c”v.
What you CAN do to help your toddler is discouraging vocal abuse, such as excessive yelling or crying. Help him find better ways to express himself. It may be beneficial to medicate him or adjust his diet if he has reflex. An ent can help you with that as well.
It may be beneficial to bring him to an SLP who has experience in voice therapy- just for one or two sessions. She should be able to identify some of the contributing factors and give you some ideas to help him.

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Nov 11 2020, 5:28 pm
Some of us were just talking last night & one woman said her son has nodules but they're not doing a/t bec evidently boys can have them around puberty but as they get a bit older the nodules can go away by themselves. Although voice training could definitely help IF your son has patience to do the exercises. (Anon in case you were there!)

As for reflux please try probiotics & digestive enzymes before putting a child on medications that can have side effects.

amother
Teal

Post Sat, Nov 28 2020, 8:38 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
can anyone advise where I should reach out for help?
my son has 'chronic hoarse voice' [is that a thing?]

Yes.

It could be voice chord nodules.

In some cases, it can be treated with voice exercises.

See a qualified ENT doctor.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics