Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
School therapist is terrible!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 9:05 am
I work as a therapist in a school setting. I do some push in sessions. There is a child in the classroom who gets his once a week counseling at the same time that I am there. His therapist does absolutely zero nothing. She is officially pushing in to work with this child, but just sits next to him and barely even interacts. If the teacher asks a question to the class she looks at the student expectantly, if the teacher says take out markers she repeats @take out your marker. This child does not need prompting to take out markers! He functions very independently in the class. He does however have social emotional issues that could really use some good counseling. It makes me so mad that he is being cheated! I don’t think there is anything I can do, but just venting. Parents, check out your therapists, ask questions, speak to the classroom teacher to make sure he/she is getting what she needs. Vent over!!

oneofakind

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 9:53 am
Sounds like a wierd setup. If he doesn't need a shadow, why is the counselor there during class? Yes, I agree. Parents have to be on top of everything!

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 10:15 am
How exactly are parents supposed to check on therapist during school hours?
(I'm not being sarcastic, really wondering what can parents do to know what is going on in the classroom!)

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 10:19 am
And if right now you're the only one who knows about the problem why can't you do anything about it?
Maybe you can speak to the teacher privately and share your observations or the principal?
If it was your child, wouldn't you want someone who saw what's going on to say something so s/he gets the badly help they need?
I understand it's tough situation to be in but the wellbeing of children come first in school!!

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 10:27 am
Why is counseling being done as push in?
I work in a school that has only push-in for all therapists (besides counseling), because there is no therapy room.
So speech therapists are sitting next to the child and just helping with classwork, instead of working on actual speech issues

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 12:52 pm
I don’t work for the school, I work through an agency, so technically this isn’t my business at all. In my opinion the child would do amazing with ply therapy or even just reading books with the therapist that discuss dif special scenarios and strategies how to approach them. Learning about different emotions etc. I have no idea how this is counseling. It bothers me so much

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 12:55 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
How exactly are parents supposed to check on therapist during school hours?
(I'm not being sarcastic, really wondering what can parents do to know what is going on in the classroom!)

I would suggest speaking to the classroom teacher. I would also suggest speaking with your child’s therapist and asking directly ask how sessions are being spent and what methods/strategies are Being taught.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Nov 20 2019, 12:56 pm
You do have the ability to report this since this constitutes fraud and waste of government or insurance dollars (I don't know what the funding source is). But you can call the agency and report your concerns.

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 3:51 pm
and please be on top of therapies that your child is receiving at therapy centers. They generally dont let parents in but when I did go in I didnt like what I saw at all...

#BestBubby

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 6:56 am
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
You do have the ability to report this since this constitutes fraud and waste of government or insurance dollars (I don't know what the funding source is). But you can call the agency and report your concerns.

This is NOT fraud!!! Fraud is billing for hours you did not do. The therapist may be incompetent and may need guidance but there is NO Fraud. Don't be a Malshin!!!

Maybe OP should make some suggestions to the therapist or report her concerns to the principal who can contact either the agency or parent to request a more experienced therapist or give the therapist guidance.

Also, you do not know what the IEP goals are. Maybe the IEP goals are wrong but the therapist is forced to follow them.

Last edited by #BestBubby on Mon, Nov 25 2019, 7:02 am; edited 1 time in total

#BestBubby

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 7:00 am
Parents should have a communication notebook where the therapist writes a note daily about what she did with the child. Many agencies I worked for mandated I write a daily note to the parent.

A therapist also must write daily session notes on what activities she did to meet the IEP goals. Maybe parents can request that and see if child verifies that the activities listed were actually done.

#BestBubby

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 7:01 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I don’t work for the school, I work through an agency, so technically this isn’t my business at all. In my opinion the child would do amazing with ply therapy or even just reading books with the therapist that discuss dif special scenarios and strategies how to approach them. Learning about different emotions etc. I have no idea how this is counseling. It bothers me so much

So offer your suggestions. I appreciate when other therapists share their ideas.

dankbar

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 7:03 am
Parents should listen.
When I was a teacher, I was telling one parent how therapy for her dgtr was ruining her instead of helping her. ( besides for disturbing my class)
Mom said why stop it if she gets it for free & she doesn't want her to end up like sis, which she was nothing like
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics