Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Seeking tablet and paid app recommendations for 7 year old

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 9:09 am
I bought an Amazon tablet for my almost 7 year old, for her to use when I must work from home and she's bored.

Anyway, I downloaded some apps, but I hate it so far. Every step of the way, it keeps asking her to upgrade to all sorts of things.

Is it the Amazon tablet itself? Should I return it and get an Apple ipad? Is it because I downloaded free apps? Which paid apps would you recommend?

I want her to be able to sit nearby and play educational games without being asked to upgrade every other moment!

Thank you!

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 9:17 am
We actually have both an iPad mini and Amazon tablets for our kids. Surprisingly, the fire has been a much better experience for us. What kinds of apps does she enjoy? Ours is used when a child is sick, or when we're traveling. So I don't mind them using brainless apps, like kids doodle, strawberry shortcake, etc.

srbmom

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 9:41 am
I also have kindles for all my kids and don't really have issues.
I think it just takes some getting used to that the kid needs to know to just "x" off the ads that come up.
Amazon also has specially marked apps that are completely free versions - I forgot the term they use - these are apps that usually cost money but are free for prime members, these don't usually have additional things you have to pay for.

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 10:19 am
there are so many games that work on the kindle fire just as on the ipad. tons!!!

flowerpower

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 10:29 am
Pbskids.org. It has games and it’s free

Toca Boca has some free apps

Teomima

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 10:32 am
I have a couple of fire tablets for my kids and love it. I download free apps and put on parental controls so they can't accidentally purchase any upgrades. My kids know I am unwilling to spend a single penny on anything but I'll put on whatever free games they want (as long as I deem them appropriate). They don't even bother asking for upgrades.

I also have an iPad but it's so old (first generation) it can't even update apps anymore. There are a few paid games on there (I inherited it from a relative) and it's actually pretty worth it since they don't have additional paid updates. So whatever device you use, research if you buy a game, maybe it won't ask you to upgrade/spend more money, and that could make life easier.

Srbmom, I think it's called Underground? Or used to, at least. It's good to have a Prime account with a kindle/fire.

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 11:03 am
Thanks all!

Are you able to recommend any apps that won’t request upgrades? It keeps confusing her; I just want her to play so I can edit, and then she keeps asking me what to do, or how to get the upgrade that they’re suggesting! Happy to pay for apps which won’t do this! Thank you!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children