Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Which oil do you use and why?
Previous  1  2

hillary

Post Fri, May 03 2019, 5:09 pm
I something (when I can obtain it) use schmaltz (chicken or meat fat). Can get it from certain butchers. Its very healthy, but is consistency of coconut oil, and obviously meaty.

amother
Denim

Post Sat, May 04 2019, 10:29 pm
Grapeseed oil- Baking, Roasting, Frying
Olive Oil- salad
Coconut Oil- if recipe calls for it
I've heard canola oil isn't healthy

hillary

Post Sun, May 05 2019, 9:08 am
Anyone can tell me how healthy grapeseed oil is, and what it's like for cooking and baking?

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 12:46 am
Dr Mark Hyman (NYT Bestselling author) recommends:

Oils:

For cooking with high heat: coconut, grapeseed, avocado
For cooking with moderate heat: olive, grapeseed, unrefined sesame
For cooking without heat: flaxseed, extra virgin olive

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 12:49 am
Has anyone looked into which of the kosher brands of Avocado Oil is best, and where its best to buy it?

Ive been using the Chosen brand that has an OU and I get it on Amazon for about .60 an ounce.

https://www.amazon.com/Chosen-.....r=1-1

Is there better? cheaper?

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 1:56 am
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
Has anyone looked into which of the kosher brands of Avocado Oil is best, and where its best to buy it?

Ive been using the Chosen brand that has an OU and I get it on Amazon for about .60 an ounce.

https://www.amazon.com/Chosen-.....r=1-1

Is there better? cheaper?

I really like that brand. It is nearly flavorless, but not heavily processed.

It is much cheaper at Walmart (about 38 cents an ounce, $9.44 for a 25.3 oz bottle locally; 44 cents/oz on Walmart.com) and if I remember correctly, even cheaper at Costco.

(We usually use canola oil from walmart at 4 cents/oz. It would cost us $60 more per month to switch exclusively.)

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 12:21 pm
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
I really like that brand. It is nearly flavorless, but not heavily processed.

It is much cheaper at Walmart (about 38 cents an ounce, $9.44 for a 25.3 oz bottle locally; 44 cents/oz on Walmart.com) and if I remember correctly, even cheaper at Costco.

(We usually use canola oil from walmart at 4 cents/oz. It would cost us $60 more per month to switch exclusively.)

If you dont live near a Walmart, you either have to buy a lot or pay for shipping though.

Im a Costco member and Ive bought it at Costco, but going to Costco is a whole day affair, first it takes an hour to get parking in Brooklyn etc, then the lines, etc. Can I buy oil at Costco online? Even if I can, Id probably have to buy a lot not to incur shipping charges.

Edited:***** For some reason neither Costco or Walmart deliver this oil, even in big quantities, to my zip in Brooklyn NY.

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 1:14 pm
Is vegetable oil ok ?
And I use Pam for frying eggs

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 1:25 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
If you dont live near a Walmart, you either have to buy a lot or pay for shipping though.

Im a Costco member and Ive bought it at Costco, but going to Costco is a whole day affair, first it takes an hour to get parking in Brooklyn etc, then the lines, etc. Can I buy oil at Costco online? Even if I can, Id probably have to buy a lot not to incur shipping charges.

$35 is free shipping. 4 bottles is already free shipping at Walmart.

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 1:28 pm
$35 is free shipping. 4 bottles is already free shipping at Walmart.

For some reason neither Costco or Walmart deliver this oil, even in big quantities, to my zip in Brooklyn NY.

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 1:29 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
For some reason neither Costco or Walmart deliver this oil, even in big quantities, to my zip in Brooklyn NY.

Are you looking on Walmart Grocery or Walmart.com?

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 1:45 pm
canola oil was originally developed/created to be used as a lubricant in factory machinery. Has anyone ever heard of a canola nut/fruit? Vegetable oil is a euphemism for cottonseed oil (which is known to cause prostate cancer) and/or soybean oil.

#BestBubby

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 1:47 pm
I though sunflower oil and safflower oil are healthy alternatives to canola oil. No?

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 2:23 pm
Are you looking on Walmart Grocery or Walmart.com?

Isnt it the same website?

I just googled Walmart grocery and ended up on walmart.com

When I chose delivery, it says delivery is not available to that zip (11219). I tried 08701 (Lakewood) and it says delivery isnt available to that zip either. Maybe its the oil only or all Walmart foods.

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 2:33 pm
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
canola oil was originally developed/created to be used as a lubricant in factory machinery. Has anyone ever heard of a canola nut/fruit? Vegetable oil is a euphemism for cottonseed oil (which is known to cause prostate cancer) and/or soybean oil.

Canola oil is modified rapeseed oil. They renamed it to avoid the negative sounding original name and it's originally from Canada. Hence Can-ola like Canadian oil.

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 2:39 pm
#BestBubby wrote:
I though sunflower oil and safflower oil are healthy alternatives to canola oil. No?

Dr Mark Hyman (NYT Bestselling author) recommends (he researches foods very well):

Oils:

For cooking with high heat: coconut, grapeseed, avocado
For cooking with moderate heat: olive, grapeseed, unrefined sesame
For cooking without heat: flaxseed, extra virgin olive

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 2:43 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
Isnt it the same website?

I just googled Walmart grocery and ended up on walmart.com

When I chose delivery, it says delivery is not available to that zip (11219). I tried 08701 (Lakewood) and it says delivery isnt available to that zip either. Maybe its the oil only or all Walmart foods.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Cho.....46935

I tried putting in that zip code and didn't see any problem.

If you were on grocery.walmart.com, it won't deliver to most places (they won't deliver to me either, I need to pick up in store).

lora

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 2:47 pm
I use mostly canola oil because of the prices of healthier oil. I'd rather cut out any takeout food which probably uses extremely unhealthy reused oil, its sort of my meet in the middle.
for recipes where the oil stays unprocessed like salads or even mashed potatoes I use olive oil. Gefen brand usually I think.

asmileaday

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 2:48 pm
For the poster that said grapeseed is healthy

https://www.businessinsider.co.....13-12

asmileaday

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 2:57 pm
Does anyone know if extra light olive oil is any better than canola?
According to Google results extra light olive oil is highly processed and refined and sometimes mixed with soybean oil. Makes me think it ain't much better than the monster canola oil became.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking