Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Packing advice

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 11:35 am
All advice welcome Smile
How long in advance did you start? What did you do that was super helpful? Anything you regret / would have done differently with more foresight?

shmosmom

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 11:43 am
I assume you know this but
DECLUTTER!
If you start early then you have enough time to go thru rooms and decide what you want to take, what can be given away, what you want to throw out.

Don't actually start packing too much in advance, because you don't want to have to unpack the Purim costume box because you didn't end up moving yet.

Buy different color tape for different rooms so movers know where to put stuff.
Put big green stickers on the ones that need to be unpacked right away (this season's clothes, etc) and red stickers on things that can wait (extra guest linen, hagaddahs, etc).
Put one change of clothing (and toothbrushes, pjs) for everyone in the family in a suitcase, so you don't have pressure the first morning in the new house.
Some people like having everyone roll up their bed so you don't have to take along old linen but I don't know if I promote that.
If you have kids, or an elderly mom or any needy dependants (husbands, sick pets, etc) put them to sleep by a relative for that day if it's an option. Have friend do carpool that day.

Don't put sefarim in boxes, they will tear. Tie together every 6 sefarim or so with string, or if you happen to have milk crates put the smaller ones in there.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 8:12 pm
shmosmom wrote:
I assume you know this but
DECLUTTER!
If you start early then you have enough time to go thru rooms and decide what you want to take, what can be given away, what you want to throw out.

Don't actually start packing too much in advance, because you don't want to have to unpack the Purim costume box because you didn't end up moving yet.

Buy different color tape for different rooms so movers know where to put stuff.
Put big green stickers on the ones that need to be unpacked right away (this season's clothes, etc) and red stickers on things that can wait (extra guest linen, hagaddahs, etc).
Put one change of clothing (and toothbrushes, pjs) for everyone in the family in a suitcase, so you don't have pressure the first morning in the new house.
Some people like having everyone roll up their bed so you don't have to take along old linen but I don't know if I promote that.
If you have kids, or an elderly mom or any needy dependants (husbands, sick pets, etc) put them to sleep by a relative for that day if it's an option. Have friend do carpool that day.

Don't put sefarim in boxes, they will tear. Tie together every 6 sefarim or so with string, or if you happen to have milk crates put the smaller ones in there.

Thanks! Great advice
Wondering about the sefarim, do you mean the boxes will tear bec will be too heavy? I have heard using small boxes for heavy items works, but tying with strings is interesting, thanks again.

Smile1234

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 8:18 pm
I recently moved internationally and what was extremely helpful was keeping a spreadsheet of what was in each box and suitcase. When I was in my new house and looking for something I was able to search the spreadsheet and find it really easily.

miami85

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 8:25 pm
Like others have said, don't move anything you don't have to. It might make a difference if you are moving within the neighborhood, vs out of town. For an in-town move wrapping picture frames in paper very well might be sufficient, but out of town pictures need to be protected better. For china/plates we bought a big package of styrofoam plates to stick between the plates, and then you have lots of styrofoam plates when you are done and can use them at your leisure both when you arrive and before you move when your plates are packed up (the extra ones). I wish I would've had time to inventory all of my boxes, but I got behind at the last minute and boxes of mine disappeared and I have no idea what's missing.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 8:42 pm
Movers

Make sure you get a signed contract. The first time we moved we got a quote and the guy nickle and dimed us and gave us the usual moving spiel that we had more stuff than they thought bla bla bla and we weren't prepared. Not worth it! The next time we used a super official company and got a signed contract with a higher bid but it was sealed signed and delivered and we knew they wouldn't ask for an extra dime. It appears to cost more at first, but it's not that much more and the piece of mind of knowing and not dealing with the unknown was much less stressful.

Packing

Start now. It always takes longer than you think it will.

Start with the least used items / rooms like the dining room silver (drop that off at a relative's house along with jewelry and special documents, so you don't need to worry about them during the move)... and work your way through the house.

Purge purge purge as you go.

Stack all the sealed boxes on the side, either in another room or against the wall behind the table.

Color code each box and then put that color sticker on each room's door frame so movers put each box in the right place when you arrive.

In addition to color coding, I wrote little descriptions on each box. It helped a lot when we first got there and were looking to unpack the important items first. When we were packing we didn't always know what would be important so the descriptions were helpful.

Use paper towels to wrap dishes but it will cost a lot.

If you're moving on a Sunday, aim to finish packing before shabbos. Packing always takes longer than you expect. Try to get invited out for the shabbos meals.

Make sure you have fresh linen on the beds before moving (you can change them before shabbos), roll everything up neatly on each bed and place in a garbage bag, and when you get to the new place, all you need to do is put on the fitted sheet and then lay out the comforter that's already encased in the duvet and covered pillows.

Books & sefarim are very heavy and can bust open the boxes. Pack thoughtfully, filling halfway and then adding lightweight items or use small boxes that don't hold so much. Speak to the movers ahead of time about what they suggest for the Shas. Sometimes they want you to leave them out and will tie them in twine or wrap them in heavy duty saran wrap when they get there.

Ask your mover ahead of time if they will provide wardrobe boxes. This way you can leave all your hanging items as is and they will transfer to the hanging boxes and then to the new closets when you get there.

Keep a separate bag of items you'll need as soon as you get to the new home with Windex, paper towels, hammer, food, etc.

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 8:49 pm
Definitely declutter first.

If you are moving within driving distance, take your silver with you. Also, even if flying, take important documents along.

Pack a suitcase with linens, toilet paper, first aid stuff and few days of clothes for each family member. Unpack these right away so you'll be set when you arrive.

Take pictures of your bookshelves so you can arrange your books the same way when you get to the new house. Use small boxes for books. (You can get these from wine stores. Don't reuse cardboard boxes that have been used for food, just in case of bugs.)

If you can afford to pay the movers to pack for you, do it. They will be faster and more efficient than you. Also use wardrobe boxes if you can, so you can transfer clothes straight into closets.

Number your boxes so you can be sure they have all arrived. Make sure to have lots of markers on hand.

Bring a few pairs of scissors with you to unpack. Trust me, they disappear. Also a lot of garbage bags for all the packing paper.

Label boxes but also add a colored sticker (blue for kitchen, red for master bedroom etc) and put a piece of construction paper that color on the door of each room. That way, even if the movers can't read your labels, they know where everything goes.

Have drinks on hand for the movers.

If you have little kids, let them say goodbye to the old house and then try to arrange to have them out of the house during the move itself.

ETA: I see I cross posted with the poster above, sorry if there's duplication.

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 9:15 pm
I heard there is a lady in Lakewood that helps people move, as a chesed!
How amazing is that!
She packs the delicate glass and dishes in the linens and tablecloths
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating