Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
How much do you spend on skincare?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 1:11 am
And what's considered a good brand? I was looking at some Hylamide products, are those worth buying?

MiriFr

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 2:04 am
You dont need fancy products for a good skincare routine!
All you need is a good cleanser, moisturizer, and SUNSCREEN (most important). The drugstore has incredible options!
It all depends on your skin type. But for a cleanser, look for fragrance-free with 2% salicylic acid as the active ingredient. I use aveeno.
For moisturizer, there are 4 basic types: a lotion, a gel, a cream, and an ointment. Gel is the thinnest and best for dry skin. Ointment is the thickest and best for oily. Cream and lotion fall in the middle, and are the most basic type of moisturizer. My skin is dry, so I use gel (neutrogena hydroboost gel I think it's called. It's in a blue tub).
Sunscreen!!!!! : this is trial and error. What works best for me without giving me a weird shine or making me break out is the neutrogena hydroboost water gel sunscreen. It's super similar to my moisturizer, which is nice.

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 7:27 am
I spend a lot. I have very bad genes- my mom looks way older than her age. I’m 34 and I constantly get told that I look way younger so I think it’s working (or maybe it’s just this is way I was meant to be- who knows ! 😂)

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 7:58 am
I'm 43 and never really done much to take care of my skin. I have tried some moisturizers, but that's about it. Anyone with experience wanna give me some specific products they'd recommend? Vitamin C serum? My skin is dry and I'd love some guidance!

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 8:12 am
Not much, considering. CVS SPF 50 zinc oxide sunscreen every day—about $8 a tube that lasts about three months. (Face only.) Lip balm, whatever’s on sale for $1 or so a tube. I go through maybe 3-4 tubes a year. They tend to get lost before they’re used up. If no lip balm, I use no-name-brand petroleum jelly. Ordinary bath soap, average $1.25 or less a bar. Skin lotion, whatever’s on sale. For whole body, all year except summer. I like St. Ives, Jergens original scent, similar drugstore brands or generic knockoffs of brands. As I age I’m using thicker lotions which cost more but still not spending more than $3-4 on a 12-16 ounce bottle. For really bad hands and sandpaper elbows I splurge a bit on something thick but not greasy like Norwegian Formula or Udderly Smooth. At night, if needed, petroleum jelly covered with gloves or socks. Drugstore brand lipstick and makeup like Revlon, Cover Girl, Maybelline. I don’t wear much more than powder, blush and a bit of eye shadow. mascara only for weddings and Purim. Coty loose powder, $5-8 for a three ounce box that lasts at least a year, maybe two. That’s about it.

I don’t use face moisturizer—my sunscreen does the job. I’m over 60. I think I look my age but I was just talking to someone who does Botox and the like and she said I don’t. What ages me most is a double chin and deep forehead and eyebrow creases from facial expressions. I have some flakiness sometimes in winter but not many so-called fine lines.

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 8:18 am
Clinique is a good brand for skincare

southernbubby

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 8:21 am
I use Pond's which is sold in drugstores, Family Dollar, etc

MiriFr

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 8:39 am
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
I'm 43 and never really done much to take care of my skin. I have tried some moisturizers, but that's about it. Anyone with experience wanna give me some specific products they'd recommend? Vitamin C serum? My skin is dry and I'd love some guidance!

Stick with gel moisturizers.
Serums are to be used at night after you cleanse and moisturize. It locks in everything that you did and doesnt really allow much wiggle room for anything else to go on your skin until the next day because they're so slippery. Try the elf hydrating booster drops serum. It's surprisingly good!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics