Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Grocery budget
Previous  1  2  3

justforfun87

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 11:51 pm
Gack I am sorry I am so tired. I spend 300-350/week on food.

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 8:40 am
Family of 6, avg 250/week
When we were a family of 3, IIRC we averaged 150/week.

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 10:56 am
Family of 3, spend around $100- $175 a week on groceries. depends if I have guest or not. if I have guests it's usually around $200. I rarely ever buy meat, just chicken and fish. I bake my own challahs and baked goods. I shop the sales and I am extremely careful with what ends up in my cart. for household items I stock up from Costco.

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 11:32 am
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
Chicken I only shop sales - evergreen, aisle 9, seasons, bingo. Will only spend max 3.99 on cutlets. Under 1.99 chicken on the bone.
Meat is harder now because we eat limited imported meats. Seasons used to be my go to place until they switched from tevya. Sad
I mainly shop npgs for rest of food. Will buy based on sales. Like my kids get diff yogurts every week.
Except salmon and milk at aisle 9. (We need our pride of the farm...)
We don’t throw out any food which means I don’t make many suppers. Leftover chicken, kugel, veggies, cholent and soup gets reused a lot. Everything’s get repurposed. Just add fresh veggies.
Soups are really cheap in the summer.
I bake almost everything. Have bread machine.

Thank you for explaining!! I don't have the time to run around to different stores based on their sales so I guess that adds up! But, where do you find 1.99 for chicken on the bone?? I only buy thighs so not not much more-only like 2.59 lb but still, never seen that price though I dont look around much since I'm not traveling to bingo or evergreen from where I live.

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 11:38 am
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
Thank you for explaining!! I don't have the time to run around to different stores based on their sales so I guess that adds up! But, where do you find 1.99 for chicken on the bone?? I only buy thighs so not not much more-only like 2.59 lb but still, never seen that price though I dont look around much since I'm not traveling to bingo or evergreen from where I live.

Really bingo and evergreen are rare for me because across town.
Aisle 9 often has great sales and because I stop there for milk I buy and use what they have on sale
This week 1.79 chicken legs.
Last week 3.99 cleaned chicken fingers.
Salmon is almost always 8.99.

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 11:48 am
I don’t get the anti meat thing.

For me to serve chicken, I need two chickens to give everyone enough to be satisfied. I only serve chicken on Shabbos for this reason.

Salmon or any other fish is crazy expensive, and also can’t be easily stretched - everyone needs their own piece, and most of my kids would want seconds.

Cheese isn’t cheap, and also doesn’t stretch very well.

Ground beef, however, can flavor a large sauce, or mix with a big bowl of rice, and everyone is satisfied. 2 lb feeds all 11 of us with leftovers, at $5 or $6 a pound.

I serve meat twice a week, cheese once a week, chicken hot dogs once a week, and eggs once a week.

Most breakfasts and lunches are pareve.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics