Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Most amazing and interesting gemachs!
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 1:37 am
In Florida there is a coat gemach. People here don't own winter coats, so we borrow if we have to go out of town in the winter time.

We have a costume gemach here as well.

Someone here has a baby wearer/carrier gemach.

Also an air mattress gemach which was super useful over Sukkos and whenever we host a lot of company.

I used to have what I called a freezer space gemach. I had a lot of extra freezer space so I'd lend out use of a shelf or two to whomever needed more room.

I once wanted to start a preemie clothing gemach, begining with all the preemie clothing I got for my preemie babies, but I never did pull that one off.

When I was newlywed a women in my community ran a furniture gemach. She didn't store anything herself, but she matched up people giving away furniture with people who were looking. Nowadays it's not so needed with community giveaway chats filling that roll, but 15 years ago I found it to be very helpful and a big chessed.

I've also once borrowed from a breast pump gemach.

SacN

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 2:28 am
I borrowed shoes from a kallah shoe gmach.
They had white heels, flats, sneakers, sneakers with platforms, all different sizes.

Medicine gmachs are common in Israel (for erev shabbos or chag)when the pharmacy is closed.

I once wanted to start a plastic moving box gmach,, but didn't really have the space.

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 2:38 am
There is an amazing gmach in Monsey for maternity gowns. Brand new dresses! She's so kind and patient. It was a real help for me, since it's not something that you can really reuse.

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 2:50 am
Joe DiMaggio children’s hospital in Florida has a room with kosher food for visitors it also has a succah in the main
Hospital

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 2:51 am
Montefiore medical center in the Bronx has a room with kosher snacks
The cafeteria has kosher food

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 2:57 am
Jewish Music Gemach

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 5:36 am
Cleaning Lady Gemach: Have an extra cleaning lady or looking for cleaning lady, call:

Anyone who has a cleaning lady, (and is looking to place them for some shifts) they have an extra slot available or someone is in need of cleaning help, call me up and I make shidduchim. Meaning, you don't need the lady help daily but need to give her work in order to 'have her'.
That's a pretty busy business!

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 5:48 am
Vitamin Gemach: When people had a newly opened supplement bottle which they didn't end up using (used several pieces, cause it's too large, bad tasting or didn't need it for their issue anymore...), they sent it over.
Supplements can be very costly, so People who were going to buy vitamins called in to check first if we have it in stock. (Of course we checked the expiration date and threw out the ones who were close to expiring).
It worked well for a short while, until someone called to inform us that it is considered very illegal and can get a serious fine (or sentence) for that.
You aren't allowed to take in open vitamin bottles or give it further. So it stopped right there.

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 6:16 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
The lady who helps people pack and move got me thinking about the many amazing and interesting gemachs there are! Can you post an original one?! I know these: bris, car seat, doona, siddurim, tablecloth, centerpieces, clothing, shoes, cake, food, shaitel

That would be so helpful for me. Is there one in Israel?

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 7:45 am
Amother Burlywood, most hospitals in the tristate area have a biker cholim room fully stocked with food, reading material, siddur/tehillim/chumish and whatever else jews may need at the hospital.

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 7:54 am
Jewish DVD gemach

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 8:16 am
I also want to start a kids knee scooter gemach. I already have one but it's pink. I need to buy a blue one. When my 6 year old hurt her foot and couldn't walk for four months we couldn't find one anywhere and ended up buying her the cutest pink knee scooter.

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 8:27 am
Stupid question.
I am old, my kids are teens and I am out of town.

Isn't a Doona and expensive stroller?
Why would someone need that instead of say a Graco?
Is it just me with thinks it is a luxury item which is lovely if you have the money but not a necessity and by putting it in the gamach category you are making it a must have, that you are pathetic if you don't,making others feel bad, when it is really just a fancy stroller and not really different? (Or does it make a baby sleep 8hour stretches and have a sunny disposition?)
Really not being judgmental and I am sorry if it sounds as such.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 8:40 am
some of that stuff

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 8:45 am
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
There is an amazing gmach in Monsey for maternity gowns. Brand new dresses! She's so kind and patient. It was a real help for me, since it's not something that you can really reuse.

My sister got from her and even "rented" 2 outfits for shabbos sheva brachos! It was a real money saver for her cuz she never needs that level of fancy outfits.

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 8:48 am
Amother pearl, my thoughts exactly. This just makes a luxury become a necessity.
Bh in our community we have a snap n go gemach. They also carry double & triple snap n go for twins and triplets.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 8:57 am
Sapphire (y)

naturalmom5

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 9:09 am
groisamomma wrote:
In Lakewood there's gazillions of gemachim.
I stopped counting at 80 and I was only up to D on the alphabetized list. It will take me ages to list them here so put it this way: If you need it, Lakewood has a gemach for it!

Now if they had a school gmach, that would be awesome

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 9:15 am
Ruchal, because the people that take a doona from a gemach, wouldn't be caught dead pushing a snap n go.

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 9:18 am
I was intrested in a doona gmach because I was told that it makes life much easier. Schlepping a baby in and out of the car. We don't usually have a car and have one now for a few months and it's really really shleppy to get my baby in and out.
I'm so not a brand name type of person. Purely for the convenience.
Page 3 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries