Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Spinoff - what do you buy on Amazon?
Previous  1  2

southernbubby

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 9:26 pm
I buy as little as possible from Amazon. They are cruel to their workers and I don't like to support them. Yes, I know that the frum community has parnassa from them but I don't want to do business with a company that is cruel to workers.

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 9:58 pm
southernbubby wrote:
I buy as little as possible from Amazon. They are cruel to their workers and I don't like to support them. Yes, I know that the frum community has parnassa from them but I don't want to do business with a company that is cruel to workers.

The only reason people have parnassa from them is because they're a monopoly who've taken over the market - and made it that everyone needs them for business. Any up and coming company that's even a slight threat to them, they force them to sell it over to them. Believe me, people would be doing much better off without them.

chayamiriam

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 10:04 pm
Not me my life is much easier with them. As far as being cruel to their worker's I never heard that before!

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 10:17 pm
Wow. $7500. Is this before returns though?
I never knew about this reporting feature, it's really neat!

amother
Chocolate

411 orders in 2019 totalling 5700.... but still have black Friday!

amother
Azure

I was just considering purchasing an ototscope!

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 10:22 pm
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
411 orders in 2019 totalling 5700.... but still have black Friday!

Year b4 362 orders totaling 7700

amother
Oak

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 10:34 pm

But most is due to my husband, who purchases tools and job supplies (Construction industry) on Amazon, which apparently pretty well-priced compared to brick-and-mortar supply stores.

I'm super impressed by the ladies who are spending more on their own! Good job!

nicole81

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 10:45 pm
$8200 on 350 orders. I was about to say I purchase everything but fresh food on there, but then I realized that I actually have ordered from amazon fresh once.

MommyM

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 10:46 pm
I just checked my report. It includes items you returned.

Prettygirl30

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 10:59 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Mouse over "Account & Lists" at the top right, and click on "Your Account" from the drop down that comes up.

Then, the page will show a bunch of lists. In the "Ordering and shopping preferences" list, click "Download order reports." That will allow you to download a spreadsheet of all your orders for a specified time period. You can then analyze the data to your heart's content.

How do I do it on a phone?

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 11:03 pm
Pretty sure the only category I haven't bought from on Amazon is large appliances.

southernbubby

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 11:04 pm
chayamiriam wrote:
Not me my life is much easier with them. As far as being cruel to their worker's I never heard that before!

I don't know how to link an article, I can only copy and paste the entire article but there was an article posted today in The Atlantic about the horrible injuries that these people suffer from trying to meet their impossible quotas. That wasn't the first of such articles that I read.

flmommy

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 11:14 pm
Op thanks for posting how to find your tally. Almost $6000 for me.

seeker

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 12:21 am
It would be a lot quicker to ask what I DON'T buy on Amazon.

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 2:20 am
chayamiriam wrote:

Do you not ever read the news? Its pretty common knowledge.
Also amazon is TERRIBLE for small businesses. They force companies out based on their shipping models (which they do by exploiting workers and abusing the environment)

That's why its so funny when people praise bezos for the small amount of charity he gives for homeless people. He pays people less than a living wage, actively blocks legislation that will make housing affordable, forces people out of business by creating a monopoly etc. Not much trickle down happening there

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 7:35 am
We dont live in communist Russia. If his employees are not happy with their job, they are able to quit. He is not violating human rights. He did really well and the money he made is his.
My brother worked for Amazon. They make all their employees in every Department spend a few days in the packaging departments. It was not fun, but he didnt feel exploited in any way. He did quit Amazon as he wasn't happy, but it wasn't because he was exploited.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 7:51 am
We dont live in communist Russia. If his employees are not happy with their job, they are able to quit. He is not violating human rights. He did really well and the money he made is his.
My brother worked for Amazon. They make all their employees in every Department spend a few days in the packaging departments. It was not fun, but he didnt feel exploited in any way. He did quit Amazon as he wasn't happy, but it wasn't because he was exploited.

I think that some people only work in the packaging department. Amazon put so many others out of business that the other jobs that once existed are less common.
If package workers can't keep up with the frenetic pace, they are fired.

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 7:52 am

1. Its not so easy for people to "just get another job" especially when Amazon is forcing others to close shop.
2. They are certainly exploiting workers if they are using all thier financial resources and connections to purposely screw their workers. There have been complaints of amazon bribing elected officials, OSHA etc to keep on doing unsafe conditions. Also, they use the power of their reputation to threaten to sue employees and ex-employees for trying to get access to records, and other medical accommodation that the are entitled too. Even if amazon is entirley wrong and it would almost certainly come to nothing, the threat of lawsuit from a company with unlimited resources to make your life hell with lawsuits that you have to defend is pretty close to exploitive.
3. Whether Amazon has the right to do this is not really the question. The question is whether it is the correct, moral or ethical thing to do. Even if they are following the letter of the law doesn't mean that what they are doing is right. They literally have teams of people working scouring laws and paperwork to make sure to be able to treat workers the way they want even if it is not in the matter the law intended.

So, yes, buying from amazon def has its pitfalls.

Now, I do very occasionally shop from Amazon because I don't have the money or wherewithal to always choose someplace more expensive/ less convenient. Its something I struggle with. I wish I had the money to support smaller businesses more and companies that treat their workers and their country better

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 9:35 am
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/1......html
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics