Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers
If You work at home on the computer
Previous  1  2

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 5:54 pm
My job makes it clear that you can not be babysitting your children and working at the same time. A lot of my work is in real time, with clients over the computer, so we can absolutely niyt have the interuptions of a baby at home. I send my babies out as soon as I am done with maternity leave.
With one baby I was able to set it up that I worked in the basement and the babysitter was upstairs. So I didn't have to get the baby out in the morning and I was able to nurse during my breaks, etc.
Other times I would pump while working.
If an older child is sick they can stay home from school and know not to bother me, so in that respect it's helpful thst I work from home.

boat

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 6:29 pm
I think there would be a difference between A hired worker and someone with a more flexible job.

Meaning if the agreement would be that you are telecommuting but your working hours are 9-3 then there is no way to keep a baby home.

If you have your own business or you are a freelance worker where you can clock in and out with every feeding or when baby cries then it may be an option.

But please don't bill me for the full hour if you are being "supermom" on my time....

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 25 2019, 7:02 pm
boat wrote:
I think there would be a difference between A hired worker and someone with a more flexible job.

Meaning if the agreement would be that you are telecommuting but your working hours are 9-3 then there is no way to keep a baby home.

If you have your own business or you are a freelance worker where you can clock in and out with every feeding or when baby cries then it may be an option.

But please don't bill me for the full hour if you are being "supermom" on my time....

yes of course it depends on the nature of the job and the flexibility of the hours

lol- this was not supposed to turn into another "im the biggest supermom" thread

I work for someone who doesnt care what else im doing- as long as im available and get the work done

my question was more about practically until what age is it possible- not the ethics of this all

when he was a newborn I found it very easy. now im finding it bit harder- still more convenient than sending out-wondering how much longer I can do this

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 5:16 am
boat wrote:

My job officially does not allow babies at home because one worker who did keep her baby at home did not do her job properly after she came back from maternity leave.
At some point I told my boss I have my baby at home and that it helps keep me focused. He was like "as long as you do what you need to do I don't care how you do it."

I still have a baby at home (different baby), it was nice having a year with no one at home but I was less productive then.

I'm not as productive as I was when I first started but I am one of the better workers and my work gets done. If I've spent too much time with the baby that day and my work isn't done I sign out and continue working off the clock until it is done.

If I am doing a freelance project and have taken too many breaks I err on the side of caution and ask for less than the time it took me, better to cheat myself than to cheat someone else.

Just because I work with a baby on my lap doesn't mean I'm not honest and ethical about it. And plenty of people work in offices and royally waste their time and don't get anything done. Please drop the stigmas, they help nobody and hurt women and children.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 8:11 am
I worked at home with my baby until he was about 6 months then it just got too hard cuz he was all over the place and needed attention . I would have sent him out but was moving soon so I just stopped working.

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 10:12 am
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
My job officially does not allow babies at home because one worker who did keep her baby at home did not do her job properly after she came back from maternity leave.
At some point I told my boss I have my baby at home and that it helps keep me focused. He was like "as long as you do what you need to do I don't care how you do it."

I still have a baby at home (different baby), it was nice having a year with no one at home but I was less productive then.

I'm not as productive as I was when I first started but I am one of the better workers and my work gets done. If I've spent too much time with the baby that day and my work isn't done I sign out and continue working off the clock until it is done.

If I am doing a freelance project and have taken too many breaks I err on the side of caution and ask for less than the time it took me, better to cheat myself than to cheat someone else.

Just because I work with a baby on my lap doesn't mean I'm not honest and ethical about it. And plenty of people work in offices and royally waste their time and don't get anything done. Please drop the stigmas, they help nobody and hurt women and children.

I hear you, but if I was a boss and I had a salaried employee working from home with a baby, I would not be very happy. Even the best baby needs to be fed, changed and held, and causes distractions which is not what I want my employee doing when I am paying them.

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 10:23 am
I bill by the job, not by the hour. Thankfully I am not a salaried employee so I have the freedom to do that.

Otherwise I’m sure I would not be able to work at home with the kids here.

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 10:26 am
I’ve been told numerous times and in each of my reviews over many years that I’m extremely productive. I hit all my goals and complete all my tasks and projects efficiently and with little qa turn around (bH).
The head of HR once told me I probably spend less time on baby care the co workers gossiping while stopping for coffee.
I’m so grateful Hashem has given me this oppuryutnity. I don’t feel I’m cheating anyone.
If I have projects or tasks that are late or customer emergencies I’ll work through the night or weekends to get it done. If something comes up end of business day and needed over seas the next morning I’ll offer to do it that evening/night.
I’ve shown over the past 13 years, and 6 kids, that I’m a dedicated and reliable and productive worker regardless of my child care arrangements.
When you get the work done well no one cares what is going on in your home.

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 12:57 pm
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
I hear you, but if I was a boss and I had a salaried employee working from home with a baby, I would not be very happy. Even the best baby needs to be fed, changed and held, and causes distractions which is not what I want my employee doing when I am paying them.

I hear that but understand that everyone has a productivity limit and everyone needs breaks. I almost always do *more* than the others working my shift, and I use my breaks on my baby instead of on other things. My babies also learn to entertain themselves sometimes, I think it's good for them to be able to play independently with me in the room as a "security anchor."
And the bottom line is that my bosses want reliable workers who are dedicated, rarely miss, are careful about their work, do the job right, and do it well and productively. I don't know if they remember that I have kids at home but we have spoken sometimes on the phone and they've heard them in the background, no one says a word. B"H I am one of the more senior and respected employees on our team.
If I couldn't keep my babies at home I would find a different job - that is something my employers most definitely do not want me to do.
And like I said, if on a given day my productivity is harmed by caring for my baby I work unpaid overtime so that my boss isn't paying for hours I didn't really work. So if I spent 40 minutes on the baby I sign out and work another 40 minutes off the clock.

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 1:30 pm
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
I hear that but understand that everyone has a productivity limit and everyone needs breaks. I almost always do *more* than the others working my shift, and I use my breaks on my baby instead of on other things. My babies also learn to entertain themselves sometimes, I think it's good for them to be able to play independently with me in the room as a "security anchor."
And the bottom line is that my bosses want reliable workers who are dedicated, rarely miss, are careful about their work, do the job right, and do it well and productively. I don't know if they remember that I have kids at home but we have spoken sometimes on the phone and they've heard them in the background, no one says a word. B"H I am one of the more senior and respected employees on our team.
If I couldn't keep my babies at home I would find a different job - that is something my employers most definitely do not want me to do.
And like I said, if on a given day my productivity is harmed by caring for my baby I work unpaid overtime so that my boss isn't paying for hours I didn't really work. So if I spent 40 minutes on the baby I sign out and work another 40 minutes off the clock.

Good for you. What do you do?

You really are amazing. I just wouldn't be able to do it; be responsible for caring for a baby plus working, and keeping track of how much time I took off and making sure to make it up; it would be too stressful.

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 11:22 pm
For me there is also a trade off.
If I was working in the office I’d be much more senior, there is more room for growth (I’ve been offered manager positions in the office). I’d be making way more money - they see my working at home as a perk.
For me it’s worth it. But it’s not like I’m getting a free ride working at home with my baby.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers