Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
S/O groceries and food prices in Israel

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 11:23 am
I love living in Israel. Wouldn't have it any other way. But I've got the feeling we are spending too much on food and groceries every month. Maybe my view is skewed because I'm used to European prices. Or I'm a bad shopper. So I've been thinking it through and it seems that we pay every month between 3000 - 4000 ש"ח for food and things like soap, toilet paper, diapers etc. Given that our monthly income is about 10,000 ש"ח that seems a rather high percentage. We have 3 young kids. I'd like to know how much other families spend on this.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 11:25 am
That makes sense.

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 11:27 am
I consider myself very frugal and pay probably around 800 shek a week for a family of 4. (No diapers at the moment)
So that sounds about right

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 11:27 am
Deleted

grivky

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 11:56 am

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 12:01 pm
Just me and DH, we spend anywhere from 250 to 450 shek a week, this is including Shabbat. When we stock up at Osher Ad (about 500 each time, sometimes less usually every 2 months) we manage on the lower end of the range.

Ironically, we're spending about the same we did in the States. Meat and chicken might be a bit more expensive, but produce and certain dry goods can be cheaper. We also don't stick to name brands except for certain products.

tilot37354

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 12:14 pm
$250/week with diapers and baby stuff included is not bad at all.

Meat is expensive (and not great) no matter how you cut it. Chicken isn't significantly more expensive than USA. If you can handle buying whole chickens and cutting up, it's half the price of cut (cutting quarters and cutlets off whole chicken is pretty easy; should take about 5 minutes a chicken, and should save ₪30 for a 2kg chicken). Vegetables aren't significantly more or less expensive, although selection is much more seasonal. Diapers are a fortune everywhere.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 1:08 pm
Really expensive, esp the good products, with the exceptions of judaica and some local things

chanchy123

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 1:35 pm
grivky wrote:

I did the math and that's about right. We're not super frugal, we shop at cheap supermarkets and stock up on sale items (have an extra freezer). There are seven of us, including diapers (no formula) and we spend in the 4-4.5 k range monthly (not including chagim etc).

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 1:42 pm
grivky wrote:

Wow! For a family of 2 right now, using the 25 shek calculation we're spending right on target. That's awesome!

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 3:57 pm
That calculation is pretty accurate. We have a few special diet considerations as well as a baby on specialized formula and diapers so I added in a bit but it works out to what we usually spend or at least try to spend.

Dh and I were just discussing how to save on groceries. Someone mentioned a place in Cholon which sells bulk items for wholesale prices called Shimurei Ichot, I think. Would love to know if they really are much cheaper. I don't really think I can save much. My family just goes through lots of food. We hardly ever throw anything out, we use up all leftovers. We go through lots of veggies but healthy food is important to us.

I spent more in the US though with three fewer kids so it's not like it is so expensive here IMO, just salaries are less. We only survive here because we have low mortgage and tuition.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 4:01 pm
grivky wrote:
Wow, right on target for us.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics