Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Connecticut community-not mod orthodox, more right wing
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 11:55 am
Is there such a thing?

lcraighten

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 12:05 pm
I heard rumbles of something - I forgot the name! But yes, a small community. Anyone else hear?

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 12:06 pm
Maybe Waterbury?

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 12:06 pm
10 years ago, I would have said New Haven. But now I don't know how things have changed since the Greer case.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 12:09 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
Maybe Waterbury?

My neighbor moved from there recently. She said it’s a nice community. Look into it.

doctorima

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 12:12 pm
I think Waterbury is your best bet. You can also look into Bridgeport and West Hartford, though I'm not up-to-date on the current state of either community.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 12:12 pm
flowerpower wrote:
My neighbor moved from there recently. She said it’s a nice community. Look into it.

Do you know why she moved away?

Odelyah

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 12:21 pm
Waterbury is pretty much it for non-modern orthodox CT communities.

New Haven has a lovely Chabad community but since you didn't specify Chabad I assume that's not what you're looking for.

Hatzlacha!

Odelyah

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 12:26 pm
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
10 years ago, I would have said New Haven.

There was hardly anything there 10 years ago. New Haven non-Chabad has been dying for a very long time.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 12:43 pm
Ok so sounds like Waterbury sounds like the best fit so far. Does anyone have info? What’s it like in terms of expenses, will it be easier to “make it” financially as opposed to in town places? Are there any frum conveniences ?

Odelyah

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 12:57 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Ok so sounds like Waterbury sounds like the best fit so far. Does anyone have info? What’s it like in terms of expenses, will it be easier to “make it” financially as opposed to in town places? Are there any frum conveniences ?

The main difference as far as finances is that housing is WAY cheaper than "in town".

For frum conveniences there is Waterbury Kosher World-- a small but ever expanding grocery store with both a pizza store and a deli attached to it.

The Shoprite also has a large kosher section.

Coming from real out of town, there are a lot of the conveniences of in-town, but if you are coming from in-town it depends on your expectations and what you will be happy with. Many people from in-town find that they gain a lot of the benefits of out of town, without giving up too much of what they are used to as far as conveniences. But it really depends which conveniences are most important to you.

naturalmom5

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 1:03 pm
Depends how RW you want... West Hartford seemed ok

Not Lakewood, but definitely not MO

But I was only there in the summer on the way to NH, so I dont really know

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 1:13 pm
Odelyah wrote:
The main difference as far as finances is that housing is WAY cheaper than "in town".

For frum conveniences there is Waterbury Kosher World-- a small but ever expanding grocery store with both a pizza store and a deli attached to it.

The Shoprite also has a large kosher section.

Coming from real out of town, there are a lot of the conveniences of in-town, but if you are coming from in-town it depends on your expectations and what you will be happy with. Many people from in-town find that they gain a lot of the benefits of out of town, without giving up too much of what they are used to as far as conveniences. But it really depends which conveniences are most important to you.

Would you say that a family that is unable to make it in the tristate area has a better chance there?

Odelyah

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 1:22 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
Depends how RW you want... West Hartford seemed ok

Not Lakewood, but definitely not MO

But I was only there in the summer on the way to NH, so I dont really know

naturalmom it is mostly MO-- there are a handful of others (who were probably the people you met) but I think they would agree that overall it is a MO community.

Odelyah

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 1:23 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Would you say that a family that is unable to make it in the tristate area has a better chance there?

it would depend on your professions and whether you can find jobs

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 1:26 pm
Odelyah wrote:
it would depend on your professions and whether you can find jobs

I’m curious how much of an income you feel is necessary. Like if most families have dual full time incomes. I know it depends, but your average frum family

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 1:28 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I’m curious how much of an income you feel is necessary. Like if most families have dual full time incomes. I know it depends, but your average frum family

Basically, My husband was offered a job in Connecticut but I don’t know how easily I would be able to find a job. (I’m not a professional and I have little kids)

Odelyah

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 1:43 pm
I don't think I can answer because there are so many variables. Like what is your husband's profession/salary, how many kids/tuitions, what you pay for your house/what your monthly mortgage payments are (there is a range with the houses-- you can can a very good deal with a foreclosure or pre-foreclosure, and/or on a slightly less in-demand block or pay more for a bigger/more updated/prime-location house in the main neighborhood, or for a new house in Blueridge (new all frum development a 7 minute drive away) or if you can put down a large down payment and keep your monthly payments low...

[There is a also the new yeshiva campus in Naugatuck one town over that has plots designated for families to buy and build houses there but I don't know much about it.]

Also, whether you qualify and plan to avail yourself of government programs. If you qualify for Husky-- CT's Medicaid program and are OK with the amount of coverage it provides (I.e. only in-state) then you would knock off the significant monthly expense of medical insurance...

I would say many are 2 income families but not everyone. Or one full income but one part-time is pretty common.. but people are resourceful and do lots of different things to supplement

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 1:49 pm
Odelyah wrote:
I don't think I can answer because there are so many variables. Like what is your husband's profession/salary, how many kids/tuitions, what you pay for your house/what your monthly mortgage payments are (there is a range with the houses-- you can can a very good deal with a foreclosure or pre-foreclosure, and/or on a slightly less in-demand block or pay more for a bigger/more updated/prime-location house in the main neighborhood, or for a new house in Blueridge (new all frum development a 7 minute drive away) or if you can put down a large down payment and keep your monthly payments low...

[There is a also the new yeshiva campus in Naugatuck one town over that has plots designated for families to buy and build houses there but I don't know much about it.]

Also, whether you qualify and plan to avail yourself of government programs. If you qualify for Husky-- CT's Medicaid program and are OK with the amount of coverage it provides (I.e. only in-state) then you would knock off the significant monthly expense of medical insurance...

I would say many are 2 income families but not everyone. Or one full income but one part-time is pretty common.. but people are resourceful and do lots of different things to supplement

Thanks so much. Would it be realistic to find a house that is around 2-250?

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 1:51 pm
Bridgeport's, but it's tiny
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating