Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
S/o - guest room(s)?
1  2  Next

GetReal

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 11:12 am
Do you have a dedicated guest room or rooms? I don’t. When we have guests sleeping over we rearrange the kids or we have one couch bed in the office. I think if I had dedicated guest space it would be easier to invite people. I could technically do construction and finish the basement but that’s $$$!

simcha2

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 11:14 am
Yes. We bought the house we did because it had a main floor guest room suite. With older parents and hosting frequently having a place with no stairs and separate from the family sleeping area makes hosting much easier.

GetReal

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 11:16 am
simcha2 wrote:
Yes. We bought the house we did because it had a main floor guest room suite. With older parents and hosting frequently having a place with no stairs and separate from the family sleeping area makes hosting much easier.

I would love that! Guest bathroom and separate so my kids don’t wake up the guests. Maybe one day!

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 11:21 am
We have a large finished room in the basement that we use as a guest bedroom. It has a separate exit and its own half-bathroom, although guests need to come upstairs to shower.

It's not dedicated solely for hosting though. When there's no guest sleeping there, it's a playroom for our kids and an exercise room for us. Plus we have to go through it to access our extra freezer.

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 11:22 am
If you live in a place where housing is not extremely expensive, it makes sense to have a guest room. Otherwise, you have to be very wealthy for it to make sense to have a dedicated guest room.

simcha2

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 11:25 am
GetReal wrote:
I would love that! Guest bathroom and separate so my kids don’t wake up the guests. Maybe one day!

We've really appreciated it, but it came at a cost (which was worth it to us) the house had no master bathroom. There is always a payoff. (Baruch Hashem, after many years we were able to save and build a master bathroom so the whole family isn't sharing one small upstairs bathroom).

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 11:26 am
We currently have an upstairs guest room and also one in the basement. We only put close family upstairs but we're going to lose that room shortly as a dedicated guest room because we're rearranging the kids' rooms. Our oldest will be moving into the (bigger) guest room with the understanding that if we need the room for guests he will have to move in with a younger sibling for the night. We had to redo our basement after a major flood so we put in a small guest room. There's a bathroom half a flight up which gives the guests privacy at night but not during the day.

I love having a dedicated guest room which we keep made up and neat so it's not a tircha to put people up even last minute. I grew up with my parents hosting people all the time so I wanted to do the same.

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 11:38 am
I live in Brooklyn. Guest room?
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL
You mean so that when my MIL stayed by me she wouldn't have had to crash on my loveseat in my living room/dining room/baby room?

hahahahaha *cue hysterical laughing turning into hysterical crying*

finprof

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 11:41 am
We have a 4 bedroom split level with one bedroom on the ground/below ground floor that we use as the guestroom/playroom. It works for now but requires mixed gender kids bedrooms so its not a long term solution.

singleagain

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 11:48 am
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
We currently have an upstairs guest room and also one in the basement. We only put close family upstairs but we're going to lose that room shortly as a dedicated guest room because we're rearranging the kids' rooms. Our oldest will be moving into the (bigger) guest room with the understanding that if we need the room for guests he will have to move in with a younger sibling for the night. We had to redo our basement after a major flood so we put in a small guest room. There's a bathroom half a flight up which gives the guests privacy at night but not during the day.

I love having a dedicated guest room which we keep made up and neat so it's not a tircha to put people up even last minute. I grew up with my parents hosting people all the time so I wanted to do the same.

That's what happened to me when I moved intob our guest room as a kid. Now that all my other sibling are out of the house, we have several guest rooms

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 12:53 pm
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
If you live in a place where housing is not extremely expensive, it makes sense to have a guest room.

Just because housing is not expensive, doesn't mean that homes in the community are in ample supply. When we were buying our home, there wasn't much available and we had a lot of things to account for besides size. So yes, we could easily have afforded an equivalent home with 2 more bedrooms. But one didn't exist that met our other needs.

Today, the housing market in our community is even crazier. Houses get jumped all over whenever someone is even remotely suspected to possibly be relocating. Unless someone wants to live on the outskirts of the community and walk 40 minutes to shul and Shabbos play dates, they usually have only a few houses to pick from.

People do modify their houses sometimes to add more bedrooms or subdivide or finish unfinished space. But that's not always easy or fast to do.

essie14

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 1:05 pm
It's my dream to have a dedicated guest room. Right now my in laws live nearby and they have 2 spare rooms which I use as my guest rooms Smile
On our list of home improvements is closing off part of the basement and adding a bathroom there so we can have a dedicated guest room.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 1:14 pm
Lemme be clear, if I pay a room it is mine to use Smile not for guests. I would create a playroom or put the oldest there

bigsis144

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 1:16 pm
Yes, we live far from our family on both sides (minimum 4 hour drive, up to opposite coast of the USA) so it was important to us when we bought a home to have space to have people stay with us. We have a room in the basement with a 3/4 bathroom, and a bedroom on the second floor that will probably eventually be taken over by our kids but is used for laundry and storage now.

It is getting harder and harder to visit my parents because they don’t have room to host us in their house and “hachnasas orchim” rooms are hard to come by in their community.

The first year I ever made Pesach was after we moved into our house. I hosted my in-laws, BIL/SIL+ child, and an adult BIL.
This Thanksgiving weekend, two of my sisters with their husbands and kids are driving in.

If we had to do all the traveling, I imagine we’d see our family far less frequently.

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 1:59 pm
Yes I have two guest rooms
And a third that can be used for guests as well. I live in a large home with a small family

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 6:13 pm
No. When our dc married, we replaced their bunk beds with high risers, but during the week their rooms are dh and my his-and-hers home offices. This is also where we hang our laundry to dry, iron, and do our exercises, among other things.

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 6:19 pm
I feel very blessed that Hashem gave me a house with a guest room, and I feel that as such, it is my responsibility to host, but the stories I can tell!!!

(I'm Emerald from the other thread).

Ruchel

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 5:51 am
My responsibility is to my family Smile I don't need a hug for not liking hosting and enjoying my apartment

Raisin

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 6:49 am
I wish I had more guest space. All our rooms are used by our kids, but some kids are away in yeshiva/school so we can use those rooms for guests. Or we double up when all the kids are home.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 6:56 am
We have a couch in the living room. For those who aren't comfortable sleeping there (like my mil) have to go to a hotel. We have a 3 room (2 bedroom) apartment.
My fil doesn't care and he sleeps on the couch.. My brother sleeps there aswell.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics