Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Can anyone tell me about seminar yerushalayim hachadash?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 2:45 pm
What kind of girls are going there, whats the learning like? What are the teachers like. Is it warm? High level learning? Shabbosos? Grateful for any info.....

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 2:48 pm
Is this the seminary known as Seminar? If it is, my experience is a few years old. Wonderful, bright, good girls, mix of in and out of town. Not so academic but there was work and the classes were really relevant and full of substance.

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 3:14 pm
I went to Seminar in 2015-2016. I hated it. They recently rebranded themselves, changing their name to Bais Yaakov Seminar and becoming more academic. My biggest complaint was that the principal's husband would often come to the dorm after his halachah class to 'fix the washing machines and dryers'. Don't know why they couldn't get someone else, it made me and plenty of other girls feel so uncomfortable. Whenever we complained to the aim bayit, she would tell us that we should be ashamed to complain about such a tzaddik...idk, I found it creepy.

From what I understand, it has become a very popular seminary. They have about 150 girls this year. When I was there, there were about 75 and 4-5 girls left which brought the total down even more.

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 3:33 pm
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
I went to Seminar in 2015-2016. I hated it. They recently rebranded themselves, changing their name to Bais Yaakov Seminar and becoming more academic. My biggest complaint was that the principal's husband would often come to the dorm after his halachah class to 'fix the washing machines and dryers'. Don't know why they couldn't get someone else, it made me and plenty of other girls feel so uncomfortable. Whenever we complained to the aim bayit, she would tell us that we should be ashamed to complain about such a tzaddik...idk, I found it creepy.

From what I understand, it has become a very popular seminary. They have about 150 girls this year. When I was there, there were about 75 and 4-5 girls left which brought the total down even more.

This is why I didn't let my daughter apply to seminar. It's still the same staff. If they don't take it seriously when girls say they are uncomfortable about something, no matter how big a tzaddik he is, I don't feel safe trusting them with my daughter for 10 months.

I'm sorry to hear that. I was hoping they changed. They would've been a good choice for my daughter - she has a few friends who went - but I couldn't get past this. Safety for me is the first thing I look for. I have to trust the staff.

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 3:42 pm
I went to seminar myself and I loved it and the staff was great. I think there is some serious lashon hara here. If you’re not comfortable, that’s ok, but don’t post it publicly.
Only anonymous because people might know me on here and apparently not everyone was happy there. I’m pretty open irl about loving seminar.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 4:24 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
I went to seminar myself and I loved it and the staff was great. I think there is some serious lashon hara here. If you’re not comfortable, that’s ok, but don’t post it publicly.
Only anonymous because people might know me on here and apparently not everyone was happy there. I’m pretty open irl about loving seminar.

If you're going as amother, it's not possible.
When the issues went public with a certain group of seminaries a few years ago, Seminar wasn't one of them.

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 4:28 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:

I’m happy for you that you had a positive experience in Seminar. I wish I could say the same. However, I do disagree with you regarding my post. I believe that it is l’toeles to share that a male teacher (and husband to the principal) felt comfortable walking into the girls dorm AFTER classes were over and girls were all over in various states of dress. And that he did not only stay on the ground floor where the kitchen, eating area, library, computer room and laundry room were, but he also would go upstairs to the first floor of bedrooms since the aim bayit’s office was located there. And that on more than one occasion, girls would walk out of their rooms in flip flops, bathrobes etc only to see him and IT DID NOT DETER HIM FROM COMING AGAIN...AND AGAIN. Take a step back and forget for a moment that you loved Seminar. If and when you have a daughter in 12th grade and you’re looking into seminaries and doing your research as a mother, I would hope you would find this concerning.

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 4:28 pm
I went to seminar in 2013-14. Just be aware that it is VERY BRAINWASHY. I can list many crazy things that were said by the principal and many teachers. Some really horrific and negative actually.
But I made awesome friends there so I don’t regret going.

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 5:41 pm
I had the best experience in seminar. I can honestly say I wouldn’t be the person I am today without having gone there. IMO they are not brainwashy at all. They give you ideas, you do what you want with them. I went a while back so could be it changed over the years but I have a niece that went last year and had an amazing, positive experience.

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 6:21 pm
Deleted

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 6:24 pm
These things are said in all mainstream BY seminaries, though.

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 6:43 pm
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
These things are said in all mainstream BY seminaries, though.

Could be. I’ve only been to this one.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 5:31 am
Thank you everyone for the info. I'm sorry that I seem to have encouraged the opening of a can of worms for some. The brainwash type of stuff is really what goes on in most BY seminaries and even not such BY seminaries too. And those things you quoted can be understood with a grain of salt. Everyone is sensitive to different things and as someone said, you listen and understand and take for life what you want...... Or take a teacher to task respectfully for saying something you think is off.
I'm understanding that if there was a serious question of safety, that some parent has made it clear to the seminary otherwise perhaps its not so serious. I can't imagine parents or girls who have been, would allow any future seminar girls to be in an "unsafe place". If it's just speculation the right thing would be to ask me to pm you without giving any further information.
In any case I really appreciate everyone's input. Thank you!

amother
Gold

Post Mon, Dec 21 2020, 9:58 pm
Did your DD end up going? Did she like it?
I'm looking into seminaries now for my 12th grader and a couple ofppl from her school suggested "seminar". Are we talking about the same seminary?
I dk anyone who went there irl beside for a neighbor that went there 12 yrs ago.
Desperate for some current info please!!

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Dec 22 2020, 7:48 am
BUMP please!

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Dec 22 2020, 9:07 am
Awful experience with some of the staff. Questions are not permitted. I wouldn't recommend Seminar unless your daughter is a perfect student and a perfect girl. The girls were nice though.

Optione

Post Tue, Dec 22 2020, 9:53 am
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
Awful experience with some of the staff. Questions are not permitted. I wouldn't recommend Seminar unless your daughter is a perfect student and a perfect girl. The girls were nice though.

That's so sad. I went about ten years ago and bH had a very normal, balanced, well-rounded experience.

Regarding principal's husband doing the technical work in the dorm, we were always given sufficient warning that he be there at x o'clock.

I think the dorm building feels that it needs updating, based on a relative who went last year. (This was her only complaint.)

Is Mrs. Koenig still there? Rabbi Cohen? Mrs. Levitan? There were other good teachers too whose faces I can remember but not their names.

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Dec 22 2020, 9:59 am
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:

Which year were you there?
So sad to hear!
Do you think you were an exception or was there a general atmosphere of not being happy when you were there?

lovingmommy3417

Post Tue, Dec 22 2020, 10:09 am
I also went 2012-2013. Was really unhappy and ended up leaving. There were a few other people who left my year and others I spoke to after just were unhappy the whole time even though they stuck it out. I made really great open minded friends though.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 22 2020, 10:21 am
Hi,
I went to visit last year and had a very good impression. They went through a dip a few years ago and then revamped themselves (one of the teachers explained their history to me). I don't know how they are planning things this year and for next year in the current situation but they have a very good program. The girls were very warm, friendly and mostly not "in towny" and all said they were very happy. I can confirm that they havent done much with the dorms in the last 20 years! I would have sent my daughter but we are from a small European city and she would have been going alone which was a bit too daunting for her......Europeans coming into a 90 % American seminary have a bit of a culture shock! Difficult to go alone.
I dont think any of the above complaints apply at least not anymore (other than the dorm!).
Hatzlacha
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics