Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Child & Baby Products
Car seat for newborn in Israel
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 4:40 pm
Hi Imamothers in Israel!

BH we are expecting our first baby in April.

We don't have a car, but I wanted to know if I should get a carseat anyway?

Reasons I would get one:

-for a newborn (first few months) instead of an ambatya/bassinet/carrycot- to click into the stroller (not for sleeping at night)
-my parents do have a car and as they live near us they offered to drive us sometimes (it would not be that often though)
-if I take a taxi for a doctor's appointment or the like

Also I don't know if it's like in America where the hospital doesn't discharge you unless you have a carseat according to their safety guidelines...

Does Israel have a rule like that? (I will most likely give birth in Hadassa hospital) and will probably be driven home by my parents. That is only one ride, but I feel like it's not safe to just hold such a tiny newborn?!

Speaking of which, what are the safety guidelines/laws in Israel regarding a carseat? And any recommendations for a safe,comfortable carseat that is not too expensive?

If anyone can help that would be great!

Smile1234

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 6:43 pm
I would get one. I didn’t (borrowed whenever I needed to go in a taxi/rental car) and I regretted it afterwards. Try and see if you can get one that expires after 10 years vs 5 if that exists so it will last for more kids iyh.

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 7:20 pm
Yes. I didn’t with my first and regretted it and bought one when I had my second.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 7:44 pm
Thanks! I would want one compatible with the stroller I am planning to get, most likely a Joie. For baby to ride in until big enough to sit in stroller.

Up to what stage should the carseat be? Newborn would only go up to about 13 kg am I right?

Trying to save money as well, so would I need to buy a new carseat soon after when the baby grows out of it? How would you go about doing this in the least expensive way?

teachkids

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 8:07 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks! I would want one compatible with the stroller I am planning to get, most likely a Joie. For baby to ride in until big enough to sit in stroller.

Up to what stage should the carseat be? Newborn would only go up to about 13 kg am I right?

Trying to save money as well, so would I need to buy a new carseat soon after when the baby grows out of it? How would you go about doing this in the least expensive way?

Unfortunately it's only the newborn kind (which some kids, not mine, but some, fit into until around their first birthday or even later) that snap into strollers and are easy to move from car to car. I would say its definitely worth getting an infant seat (you may want to find one that has higher height limits if possible since that's how most kids outgrow first), and then you'll reevaluate if you need a second carseat when baby outgrows that.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 8:19 pm
wow, thanks so much! I really appreciate the advice, that sounds like a good plan.

Does anybody know what the carseat laws are for kids in Israel? Can I just hold a 1 and a half year old on my lap? Or do they always need a carseat even for a short cab ride? (I feel like probably safer, but for now just want to know the enforced law)

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 8:26 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
wow, thanks so much! I really appreciate the advice, that sounds like a good plan.

Does anybody know what the carseat laws are for kids in Israel? Can I just hold a 1 and a half year old on my lap? Or do they always need a carseat even for a short cab ride? (I feel like probably safer, but for now just want to know the enforced law)

I understand that you're asking about the law, which I'm not familiar with. But be aware that if you were to get into an accident while holding a baby or toddler on your lap, the child would either be crushed with immense force by your body, or go flying through the windshield. Unfortunately most children don't survive in those circumstances. It's really just about the gamble- hopefully you won't get into an accident, but if you do it would likely be fatal for a child not in a car seat.

mochamix18

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 1:12 am
I didn’t read all the other replies, but I wanted to tell you OP, we bought our Joie about 5 years ago on Strauss. It was a package deal that at the time was about ₪2500 for the frame, sal kal, ambatya, tiyolon and coordinating rain covers. Second born (almost two month k”h) is currently using all of the above and it’s still holding strong. Both of my births were HEK and they do want to know that baby is going home in a sal kal if in a car.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 1:52 am
Thanks! Definitely food for thought.

That deal on the Joie sounds good. We are hoping to get it even cheaper from the UK and have a relative bring it to Israel. A sal kal is basically the car seat part right?
Happy to hear it's been going strong for you 😊

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 1:55 am
Also mocha mix 18, do you know which Joie car seat would be good for a newborn (click into stroller) but would last longer as an older infant as well?

mochamix18

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 5:23 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Also mocha mix 18, do you know which Joie car seat would be good for a newborn (click into stroller) but would last longer as an older infant as well?

The sal kal is the infant car seat. I would check how long you can use it, cuz it usually goes by weight. Our first born was a very tiny peanut who grew slowly so rye infant seat lasted him till a year and half but that’s not typical. The advantage to buying here in Israel is that with the warranty you can just go back to the store where you purchased from if something gets broken and they will send it in for repair. Example, our joie frame had a break when my first born was about a year. The store on Strauss sent in the frame to be repaired and it was still covered by the warranty so we paid nothing.
Also it is a good investment if you are planning on doing any amount of car travel as it is the law in Israel to have children band infants in a car seat and a very crucial safety measure as others in the thread stated.

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 5:44 am
I think the hospital will not release the baby unless you have a car seat.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 5:55 am
we wouldn't if not a car
Unless maybe you're always in uber

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 8:44 am
Thanks everyone, we are in Israel, no car.

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 9:16 am
Joie have a car seat called Gemm which is the one that will click into the frame. This is a group 0+ car seat which will fit until your child is approx 13 months (size and weight depending). My friend got the Joie chrome dlx as a package deal for less than £300 when it was on offer and she's been really happy with it. Her baby lasted in the car seat until he was at least a year and a half, and he wasn't that small.
You can definitely get good deals around this time of year, but I would also suggest if you're thinking to get from the UK, that mothercare is closing down and you might be able to get a good deal as they clear their stock-as you get closer to the closing date they reduce things further and further. Smyths toys also usually have a good price on a package deal.

dinglehopper

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 9:23 am
If you ever plan to take the baby in a car get a good car seat
Never ever keep a child on your lap no matter how short the ride. Not in a taxi, ever.

You can leave the hospital with a car seat or a stroller. That isn't the issues the issue is safety after that.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 8:09 am
Thanks for the advice on the Gemm and Mothercare

For sure, safety is a top priority

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Dec 04 2019, 7:34 am
I know I said originally that my friend was really happy with her joie-well the other day the frame broke while they were out. They've contacted joie but joie are demanding videos and being really difficult about it. So, although I originally recommended it, now I'm not so sure.

mochamix18

Post Wed, Dec 04 2019, 8:08 am
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
I know I said originally that my friend was really happy with her joie-well the other day the frame broke while they were out. They've contacted joie but joie are demanding videos and being really difficult about it. So, although I originally recommended it, now I'm not so sure.

That’s awful. Which store did they buy the Joie from? In our case when our frame broke after a solid year of use, we brought it to the store we bought it from and they sent it in to Joie for repair.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 04 2019, 9:03 am
Thanks for the update lavender.

In the end did not go with a Joie for other reasons (the company does not recommend overnight sleeping in their carrycot and that was a feature we wanted.)

Ended up going for a Graco Evo with a newborn car seat and safety base. The carrycot is safe for occasional overnight sleeping

I hope the quality will be good...the price definitely was. Does anyone have this stroller/carseat?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics