Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
How to convince someone of the need to be clean?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 5:34 pm
Let's say I wanted to convince someone intellectually why it is better to raise children in a clean enough home and for their kids to wear clothes that fit and are not stained or torn and then crudely mended.
What is the way to convince them intellectually that this is of value - what logical arguments would you use? I know this to be true but can't really articulate why it's not good for kids to look bedraggled and live in a disordered, dirty home. I need to convince a logical person but I only know this on a visceral level and need help making logical arguments.

dankbar

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 5:43 pm
If they don't do it for their own/children's honor at least you can use the social status reason, children shouldn't be looked down upon, have confidence, not feel different, not get harrased by peers which can traumatize, shatter them for life.

Also if major neglect going on, you can tell them that if anyone is aware they can be reported & could chas vsholom have their children taken away.

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 5:43 pm
Others will treat them better and this will help the children in life.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 6:02 pm
Someone once said to me that the condition of your surroundings reflects the condition of your mind. I found this to be extremely true.

If your surroundings are cluttered, messy, or dirty, you thoughts will be confused and it will be hard for you to make decisions and prioritize. You might also be so overwhelmed that you won't know where to start getting on top of things.

If your house is tidy and things are in order, you can think more clearly and have a lot less stress.

If things are already a big mess, it is worth it to pay someone to come and help you organize, create order, get rid of junk, and create a system. Then you have to make a serious commitment to keep things in their nice, new order.

Follow through is the KEY to getting on top of things and creating a new environment.

The reward for a clean and orderly home is having a peaceful environment, with less stress, fighting, losing things, and just feeling generally more relaxed.

I'll give you one small example: If your kitchen sink is piled high with dishes, do you feel like cooking a nice meal from scratch with healthy ingredients? Most likely not.

If your kitchen is (ok, maybe not spotless) at least somewhat organized and clean, you'll be much more inspired to put energy into making nice meals, instead of ordering pizza delivery out of sheer frustration.

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 6:09 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Let's say I wanted to convince someone intellectually why it is better to raise children in a clean enough home and for their kids to wear clothes that fit and are not stained or torn and then crudely mended.
What is the way to convince them intellectually that this is of value - what logical arguments would you use? I know this to be true but can't really articulate why it's not good for kids to look bedraggled and live in a disordered, dirty home. I need to convince a logical person but I only know this on a visceral level and need help making logical arguments.

What is this person's reason for putting children in clothes that don't fit or are stained or poorly mended?

If this person does not value appearances - what does this person value?

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 6:10 pm
Idk how dirty we're talking here, but very dirty/messy is an invitation to all kinds of pests and germs

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 6:15 pm
I grew up with a parent who was adamant that we not succumb to peer pressure in any way, and if he personally didn't agree with something, trying to convince him that other people value it, therefore we should, would be a losing argument.

Op, I don't know what you're up against here, but you basically have to tell this person, that even if he or she does not value cleanliness, and sees no reason that people should treat his kids differently based on their cleanliness or lack thereof, it is an incontrovertible fact of life that people will treat them poorly if they are bedraggled, whether they think that's fair or not.

In other words, it may be more helpful to convince this person that other people will treat his kids poorly then try to convince him that is important for them to be clean.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 6:15 pm
If she doesn't see the value of it, I'm not sure what could be done.
Maybe you can have her over and have her experience how good it feels to stay in clean neat surroundings?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 6:44 pm
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
What is this person's reason for putting children in clothes that don't fit or are stained or poorly mended?

If this person does not value appearances - what does this person value?

I'm not sure. This person is logical and intellectual and does love her children very much.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 6:45 pm
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
I grew up with a parent who was adamant that we not succumb to peer pressure in any way, and if he personally didn't agree with something, trying to convince him that other people value it, therefore we should, would be a losing argument.

Op, I don't know what you're up against here, but you basically have to tell this person, that even if he or she does not value cleanliness, and sees no reason that people should treat his kids differently based on their cleanliness or lack thereof, it is an incontrovertible fact of life that people will treat them poorly if they are bedraggled, whether they think that's fair or not.

In other words, it may be more helpful to convince this person that other people will treat his kids poorly then try to convince him that is important for them to be clean.

This sounds about right. I think you described this person well, and this approach makes sense.

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 6:49 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm not sure. This person is logical and intellectual and does love her children very much.

Fact - most people value tidy appearances
Fact - most people judge other people against their own values
Therefore - if your children are not tidy in appearance they will be be judged poorly by most people.

Fact - you love your children very much
Therefore - you would not want your children to need to deal with being judged poorly
Therefore - you should dress them tidily.

(seeing post above my just now - we said the same thing)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics