Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
How is a sound machine good for sleep habits

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 8:56 pm
I read so often that people recommend using a white noise machine in the children’s bedroom but I don’t understand how getting them used to sleeping with that kind of noise is good. Won’t that mean they will never be able to sleep in silence? I know that’s what happened for me and now I have to take my sound machine everywhere or I won’t sleep because every little noise will bother me. I want my kids to sleep well but I don’t want them to get so used to it that they can’t sleep without it.

thanks

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 9:25 pm
It's so easy to take along. It's worth it.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 9:45 pm
I feel like I’m handicapping them for life because not everyone can sleep with a sound machine and then what happens in camp, dorm, marriage if they can’t sleep without a noise machine but other people don’t want it?

ectomorph

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 9:49 pm
You wean off by gradually reducing volume

ra_mom

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 9:51 pm
One of my kids couldn't sleep for the life of her. We used a sound machine for her during her toddler years. She eventually grew out of it. Haven't used that machine in years and years but her first few years we used it every night because every sound affected her sensory wise.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 9:53 pm
Sleep is important for your health. If you can't sleep no matter what you try, and a sound machine changes that and helps you get a good nights sleep, then it's worth having that crutch as your health is worth it.

lucky14

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 9:53 pm
We realized at a certain point that my son didn't even need it anymore (some point when he was still a baby) and he was fine when we stopped. I don't think my baby even needs it. I put it on for me. I'd rather have a few crummy nights away if I forget it and lots of better nights of sleep with it than not ever have it at all. My sleep has very much improved since using white noise.

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 9:54 pm
In one of the books I read about sleep, it spoke about how babies/young children fall asleep more easily and sleep better (more deeply) with the noise machine. The pros outweigh the cons.

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 10:19 pm
I started using one recently for myself! I love it, makes me sleep better.

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 10:38 pm
Can anyone recommend a specific sound machine for an adult?

champagne

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 10:53 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
Can anyone recommend a specific sound machine for an adult?

IMO the best sound machine ever is a Maparc. You can get it at Target. It generates actual noise instead of just playing a sound so it’s not tinny and electronic—it’s “Brown” noise versus white noise if you get what I mean. It’s bulky though so if you’re traveling I recommend getting a smaller cheaper one.

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 11:13 pm
I’m with you OP. What I did do From very early on (immediately) was teach my baby to sleep with regular noise: vacuum cleaner, radio, tv, regular voices etc. And to this day Noise doesn’t wake her

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 11:28 pm
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
I started using one recently for myself! I love it, makes me sleep better.

Which one?

challahchallah

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 11:33 pm
champagne wrote:
IMO the best sound machine ever is a Maparc. You can get it at Target. It generates actual noise instead of just playing a sound so it’s not tinny and electronic—it’s “Brown” noise versus white noise if you get what I mean. It’s bulky though so if you’re traveling I recommend getting a smaller cheaper one.

Absolutely agree. The marpac dohm is fat and away the best because it’s not electronic. It’s worth every penny and even though it’s bulky, I still pack it on vacation. Also, they last forever. I’ve had one of mine for over a decade.

You can buy them in a lot of places like target and bed, bath and beyond. Here’s the amazon link for ease. They often go on sale for ~$30, and will probably have some sort of deal for Black Friday or cyber Monday

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H.....MZDVV

srbmom

Post Tue, Nov 26 2019, 11:57 pm
We have box fans in our kids rooms as "sound machines"
I actually found an app on my phone that makes a fan noise that I use when we're away from home

Miri1

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 12:14 am
Not saying whether they are good or not (I personally haven't used them), but wanted to point out that continuous noise can cause hearing loss at much lower levels than the usual loud noise that we associate with causing damage. If you're using one keep it on a low setting.

https://www.cnn.com/2014/03/03......html
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics