Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
S/O how much money it costs to be frum - mikva costs
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 12:13 am
I think it was 20 or 25 and I went every single month for the first 1.5 years, it really does add up.

tichellady

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 12:29 am
$36 for women, no idea about men

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 12:41 am
Lakewood
Recently went up to $20
My husband and many men around here go every erev shabbos and yomtov and pay $5

Ruchel

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 6:04 am
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
There is no mitzvah to be examined by anyone. The mikvah lady's job is just to ensure that you went underwater fully. And even that is not strictly necessary according to various halachic sources.

any lady can do it (I think Jewish though) or the husband iirc

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 7:29 am
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
There is no mitzvah to be examined by anyone. The mikvah lady's job is just to ensure that you went underwater fully. And even that is not strictly necessary according to various halachic sources.

I know that - but the mikvas here don’t offer you a choice. In Israel, women fought for the right to dip in private but that it is only possible bc it’s a government funded system.

gold2

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 8:23 am
blessedflower wrote:
Shana rishona is free.
After that it's 15 ILS for shower, 18 ILS bath and another 3 ILS for towel

Where on earth do you go to for so cheap? is it nice?
I go to Mattersdorf for 53 shekel including towel and bath or Zayis raanan 70 shekel including bath, sponge, towel, etc

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 9:31 am
I've always only done bath.
Mikvas I've been in:
Jerusalem really depends on where and when and how.
With all the things is like 50 shekels-,, when you bring the stuff it's like 30, and some depend on the time- until 6 o'clock- 50, til 8- 70, until 10- 100, and between 10 & 1- 120.
Kiryat sefer is 13 dunk, 18 bath.
Or Yehuda is 25
Telzstone is I think 23?
Brooklyn was 25$.

1 dollar is around 3.5 shekel, so 25 shekel- which I see now is about the average- is about 7$

daagahminayin

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 9:54 am
There is such a disparity between prices and also between the number of times a woman needs to go in a year. Plus the fact that a lot of women don’t even know how many times they’ll need to go and it’s not really something they choose.

When you go to the mikvah, you’re not really paying for the cost of your tevilah that night, you’re paying for the existence and maintenance of the mikvah.

Makes me wonder if it would be better to have a yearly membership cost for each woman who thinks she might go to the mikvah at least once. The burden on women who go every month having to pay up to $40/month is very high.

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 10:31 am
$18 in Far Rockaway. They have a kollel discount. Everything included. There is a mikvah in cedarhurst that I think is $30.

My husband only goes before yomim noraim. I think he paid $3 this year.

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 11:33 am
daagahminayin wrote:
There is such a disparity between prices and also between the number of times a woman needs to go in a year. Plus the fact that a lot of women don’t even know how many times they’ll need to go and it’s not really something they choose.

When you go to the mikvah, you’re not really paying for the cost of your tevilah that night, you’re paying for the existence and maintenance of the mikvah.

Makes me wonder if it would be better to have a yearly membership cost for each woman who thinks she might go to the mikvah at least once. The burden on women who go every month having to pay up to $40/month is very high.

I 100% would prefer a yearly fee, which I would really view as a tzedakah (and the most important community one), which would entitle to unlimited use (no one is abusing the system for mikvah use, let's be honest). Then I wouldn't think about how much it's costing me each time, and make me frustrated that I need to use it. Even when pregnant/nursing, there's a possibility to need it, and typically at least 1x/year, even in that situation (PP or whatever). The "daily rate" would be for non-members and visitors. Unlike other "businesses" this is not something that the mikvah would lose out on by offering an annual membership. People will still come as often as needed, using the same resources, and if someone doesn't need it 12x/year, then the mikvah gets the "extra" money towards upkeep.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics