Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Most amazing and interesting gemachs!
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

Ruchel

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 6:08 am
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
Ruchal, because the people that take a doona from a gemach, wouldn't be caught dead pushing a snap n go.

I have no idea of all this. Just wouldn't donate to luxury

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 8:22 am
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
I was thinking of starting a gemach that would give a starter stash of cloth diapers to mothers of babies with sensitive skin. Would anyone be interested in that?

I didnt know ppl still use cloth diapers today

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 9:01 am
keym wrote:
My sister came from EY for a simcha for 5 days. She borrowed a Doona from the gemach. Not having to juggle the stroller and car seat in the airport was huge. Having a car seat in the States was also mega convenient.
I totally understand. I usually have a Graco carseat and either a stroller or snap and go. But having to shlep both the carseat and the stroller or not bringing both but not having a stroller and carseat at your destination is stressful.

This only works if someone is driving you to and from the airport with a car seat in the car. Otherwise what is the baby sitting in? When I travel I check my car seat immediately when checking in. It arrives on the carousel with all the other baggage, or sometimes with the oversized baggage. Either way, I don't shlep it through the airport unless I'm planning to use it on the plane. If I had a snap and go I don't see how it would be more complicated in the airport than a doona. It's just one extra step to in/fold at the gate.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 9:21 am
amother [ Violet ] wrote:

You'd be amazed. It's actually becoming more and more popular, for lots of reasons.

I am just so in awe of how many gemachim we have. It says so much about us as a people! Not to brag or anything, but the kindness I see in communities really warms my heart.

keym

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 9:22 am
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
This only works if someone is driving you to and from the airport with a car seat in the car. Otherwise what is the baby sitting in? When I travel I check my car seat immediately when checking in. It arrives on the carousel with all the other baggage, or sometimes with the oversized baggage. Either way, I don't shlep it through the airport unless I'm planning to use it on the plane. If I had a snap and go I don't see how it would be more complicated in the airport than a doona. It's just one extra step to in/fold at the gate.

What are you saying? The Doona is a stroller and carseat. That's the point.
A snap and go is 2 different pieces to juggle and check in either immediately or at the gate.
Bringing just a carseat no stroller is a pain, just a stroller no carseat is also unsafe.
I understand the concept of the Doona. Wouldn't spend that money. Would borrow it from a gemach for short trips.

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 9:47 am
keym wrote:
What are you saying? The Doona is a stroller and carseat. That's the point.
A snap and go is 2 different pieces to juggle and check in either immediately or at the gate.
Bringing just a carseat no stroller is a pain, just a stroller no carseat is also unsafe.
I understand the concept of the Doona. Wouldn't spend that money. Would borrow it from a gemach for short trips.

I'm saying, a gmach is only useful for travel if the baby will have a car seat in the car on the way to the airport and on the way from the airport, to the gmach. So taxis are out. I don't really see how a snap and go is a juggle. I've had one and used it for traveling. It takes no more than 3 seconds to fold! And presumably the baby had a regular stroller through the airport, which also takes 3 seconds to fold. Sorry, I just don't understand how the doona is more convenient in that scenario.

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 9:51 am
Challe covers, zmires and silver (plated) bechers.

gamanit

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 10:09 am
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
I'm saying, a gmach is only useful for travel if the baby will have a car seat in the car on the way to the airport and on the way from the airport, to the gmach. So taxis are out. I don't really see how a snap and go is a juggle. I've had one and used it for traveling. It takes no more than 3 seconds to fold! And presumably the baby had a regular stroller through the airport, which also takes 3 seconds to fold. Sorry, I just don't understand how the doona is more convenient in that scenario.

People borrow it before their trip to take along with them

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 10:12 am
amother [ Violet ] wrote:

They have very little in common with the diapers people used 30 years ago. They have snaps or velcro to go on and are leak resistant. You actually get less leaks than with disposable diapers. Many people (myself included) use flushable or disposable liners to make laundry even easier.

zohar

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 11:29 am
Ruchel wrote:
I have no idea of all this. Just wouldn't donate to luxury

They are not giving out doonas. They are lending it. It's extremely practical for people traveling who do not have their own car. Let's say they want to go shopping. Or to a museum. Or anywhere, really. They hire a taxi. They put stroller in trunk and car seat in car. What do they do at their destination? Drag around their car seat behind them? I think it's a really nice chessed to lend them out. I would have appreciated g'mach for carriages with good bassinets that I could have used for my siblings weddings as my infants sleep on their stomaches and therefore don't sleep in their strollers. I was able to borrow one once only.

heidi

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 12:20 pm
Kiryat Sefer has a lost child gmach.
People who find a lost child know to bring him there and parents who are missing a child know to go look for him there.

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 12:25 pm
Oh god heidi, it's sad that there's a need for such a gemach!

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 12:26 pm
There's a tzenuis hospital gown gemach in our community.

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 1:02 pm
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
Bowling shoe gemach.

Can you give me more info on this (I.e. location, contact info)?

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 1:03 pm
What's the point of a bowling shoe gemach? You can get shoes at the bowling alley.

heidi

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 1:07 pm
Oh god heidi, it's sad that there's a need for such a gemach!

I don't use it.
Just know about it LOL

gamanit

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 1:08 pm
What's the point of a bowling shoe gemach? You can get shoes at the bowling alley.

You have to pay for the rental at the bowling alley. The gemach gives it for free which means you save a lot of money. We actually purchased ice skates at the end of the season for the same cost as a rental which is really cool.

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 1:10 pm
So you have enough money to go bowling but are suddenly too poor/stingy to pay for shoe rental?? How odd. Bowling is not a must. It's an extra, if you can afford it. A gemach is generally made for chesed. It's not a chesed to help people go bowling. How weird.

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 1:13 pm
So you have enough money to go bowling but are suddenly too poor/stingy to pay for shoe rental?? How odd. Bowling is not a must. It's an extra, if you can afford it. A gemach is generally made for chesed. It's not a chesed to help people go bowling. How weird.

There is actually a (non-Jewish) program that offers free bowling in many locations. Shoe rental is the only cost. A gemach would enable poor families to go for free. Poor kids enjoy occasional family trips too.

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 1:13 pm
If you participate in Kids Bowl Free, your kids can bowl free in the summer, except for the cost of bowling shoes. So a gemach would actually make the experience free (never used the gemach, but it sounds nice!).

Besides, the shoe rental costs can add up in general. Maybe the gemach owner happened to have bought bowling shoes for her own family in various sizes to save costs on rentals, and then decided to let other people benefit as well. Why not? What's wrong with someone helping someone else save money?
Page 5 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries