Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Sluggish after eating

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 12:51 pm
I get sluggish/sleepy sometimes. after eating, even if it's a high protein meal like tofu, eggs, or cheese. When this happens, it makes me want sweets.

I would think that would only happen after a high carb meal, not a high protein meal.

Any thoughts?

trixx

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 12:54 pm
Cut out those foods, they obviously don't agree with you. Btw those aren't allowed on a diet like paleo (except eggs? Those are common allergen tho) so it's not that surprising. Just bc the media labels it proteins or carbs or whatever and touts its benefits, doesn't mean it's good for your body. You're lucky if you can see such instant and obvious results to know what doesn't work for you.

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 12:55 pm
Can be a sign of nutrient deficienies and low adrenal and thyroid function

zaq

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 1:30 pm
Wrongggg....lose the anti-carb obsession. Any heavy meal—especially high protein—can make you sluggish. Blood-flow is diverted to the gut to nourish the muscles involved in moving food along the alimentary tract, and your brain and voluntary muscles get the leftovers. This causes “postprandial somnolence,” a fancy way of saying “sleepiness after meals.” The heavier the meal the greater the effect, and protein, being harder to digest than carbs, has the greatest effect. (Compounds such as tryptophan, famous for being found in turkey, cause somnolence all on their own, even without a big heavy meal.)

Carbs are not evil and protein is not a perfect food on its own. True, many of us are a tad too fond of carbs, usually simple carbs like sucrose and simple starches. Nevertheless, carbs are an important part of a balanced diet (feel free to shun the sucrose, though) and should not be cut out of the diet.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise