Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
How much do you pay your cleaning lady, in BP, per hour?
Previous  1  2

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 6:10 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
The law is $13 per hour if u have less than 10 employees, which is this category. If ur paying less than that, ummm u r on a public forum, u know.....

The law is also that you have to pay taxes but most of these cleaning women don't. Them earning $13 an hour is like me earning about $24 an hour.

notshanarishona

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 6:39 pm
Wow .. that's crazy low . I can't find cheaper than $15 per hour out of town where cost of living is much more cheap than bp. I am shocked you find workers for so little.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 6:47 pm
When we moved here several years ago, cleaning help was $25 an hour. Also, many had a 4 hour minimum, so $100 each time. I assume that if anything, it has become more expensive. That’s why I don’t have cleaning help.

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 6:53 pm
15 for three /4 hours I find it quite a lot

HonesttoGod

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 7:26 pm
I always round up so she was asking $11 per hour for 4 hrs I gave her $45
She asked for a raise to $12 I said no problem and now pay her $50 for 4 hours.

I have no problem giving a raise when she asks. I also give a bonus this time of year because she deserves it. She works hard and deserves a decent pay wage.
I can’t stand it when people complain about paying their cleaners $10-12 and say how expensive it is - ladies she’s doing the **** you don’t want to do. Respect her she’s a human being.

dancingqueen

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 7:43 pm
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
When we moved here several years ago, cleaning help was $25 an hour. Also, many had a 4 hour minimum, so $100 each time. I assume that if anything, it has become more expensive. That’s why I don’t have cleaning help.

It’s similar in my area. I’m always amazed by how cheap cleaning help is in some frum areas.

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 7:44 pm
15 an hour. Punch

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 8:23 pm
Kiwi13 wrote:
In my opinion YOU'RE the hero!

Kiwi13, how much do you pay?

happyness

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 8:28 pm
Kiwi13 wrote:
Of course no one is obligated to pay more than the minimum, or the going rate, but some of the previous posters implied it would be good to band together to try to stop rates from going up. That's not such a nice thing to do. I get it why it happens, and if someone isn't able to afford a higher rate, of course they're under no obligation to keep employing someone once their rates go too high.

But the thing is, premium help typically comes at a premium price.

And I personally commend Scarlet Amother's outlook that it's better to save on things like clothes than services from people. I bet it serves everyone well.

And yet, the premium price in BP is not 16. It's at 13 max.

Maybe start offering your grocery 7 dollars for a cuppa coffee. Cuz, it's a premium product after all...

Funny...I knew while posting that I would have some of y'all up in arms sticking up for the cleaning help.

May I have you know, that it isn't the PRICE you pay her, but rather how you TREAT her that makes the difference to her human feelings.

Do your kids walk on the floor while she mops? Do you give her decent food? Do you care about her birthdays, holidays, etc? Will you offer a car ride for when it's cold?

All these make a very strong statement, as a previous poster implied.

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 8:37 pm
delicious wrote:

May I have you know, that it isn't the PRICE you pay her, but rather how you TREAT her that makes the difference to her human feelings..

Both matter. Cleaners are like any other people. They require both money and respect.

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 8:39 pm
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
Both matter. Cleaners are like any other people. They require both money and respect.

Of course. Still, there will always be a segment of society that earns a minimum wage. In Brooklyn, cleaning help falls into this category. It's not any worse than the other workers who are earning minimum wage. Pay the going rate in your area- at least minimum wage- and treat her with respect.

simcha123456

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 9:12 pm
Since we’re on the topic of cleaning help, does anyone have a cleaning lady they can recommend for me. For Flatbush area of Brooklyn

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 9:19 pm
Like Kiwi I pay my lady about $20 an hour - hard to calculate because I pay her $80 and it's a flat rate. Sometimes it's 3 hours and sometimes a bit more and sometimes it might even be a bit less. If I ask her to do something beyond normal stuff.

She is very honest and kind and has raised a wonderful family on cleaning lady wages - all of her children are either college grads or in college and one is going to be a doctor.

It doesn't make me feel comfortable to have someone else perform stuff that I don't want to do like cleaning my toilets.

To the woman who fired her cleaning lady because she asked for a raise - how does that even make sense? For a few dollars a week extra, you now have to find a cleaning lady - train her and be nervous about whether she is honest. I can have my cleaning lady let herself in if necessary and she actually knows where everything is better than me - sometimes I have to ask her where she has put something because she is so organized. Very Happy I even get my large grocery deliveries scheduled for when she is at my place because she manages to fit everything into my refrigerator and freezer better than I could ever do.

ETA - I am completely respectful of her because I am respectful of everyone - especially people who perform services for me. FWIW, she was here yesterday and I gave her an extra $20 for Thanksgiving and told her to buy a nice dessert for the family.

happyness

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 9:23 pm
amother [ Violet ] wrote:

You're right. Who said otherwise?
We pay them. And we respect them.

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 9:27 pm
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
The law is also that you have to pay taxes but most of these cleaning women don't. Them earning $13 an hour is like me earning about $24 an hour.

Actually that's not the law.

Technically she is probably your employee in which case you are responsible for reporting her salary AND contributing the employer's share of FICA taxes.

She probably does not fit the indicia of independent contractor but even in that case you should be filing if you pay her more than $600 per year?

And are you checking for her citizenship papers and/or work permit?

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 9:38 pm
Just because the cleaning help doesn't pay taxes, will not excuse u from not paying minimum wage. Legally, they are allowed se you, even if they are illegal!!! NY is one of those weird states where the worker gets all the rights. Don't take my word for it, check it out yourself....

In fact, if she works regular hours in ur home, u tell her how u want her to clean, you give her cleaning supplies, u are required to pay ss and Medicare and give her w2. This is only if u pay her more than a certain amount a year, I think 2100. This is law even if u pay her cash.

Just saying.....

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 9:43 pm
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
Actually that's not the law.

Technically she is probably your employee in which case you are responsible for reporting her salary AND contributing the employer's share of FICA taxes.

She probably does not fit the indicia of independent contractor but even in that case you should be filing if you pay her more than $600 per year?

And are you checking for her citizenship papers and/or work permit?

Why are you asking me personal questions? I've never even hired cleaning help.

chanatron1000

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 9:43 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
Just because the cleaning help doesn't pay taxes, will not excuse u from not paying minimum wage.

Why should it? Two wrongs don't make one right, at least not legally.

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 11:54 pm
Im in BP. My cleaning woman left me a few weeks ago because of medical (mental health) reasons. I was paying 13. I tried out a few people in the past few weeks, each one worse than the next. (Tried someone new today, and she wasn't bad, hoping and praying it will work out). So basically, the agencies I called say it's 15 an hour. One even wanted an extra $150 just for setting you up with someone steady, and half of the poor cleaning woman's first weeks pay! I tried some people that I got from other people. One wanted 13.50 + transportation, another wanted 15 with a minimum of 6 hours, a third one wanted 14 + transportation, but she barely did anything in the time she was by me; she kept pouring cleaning products back and forth between bottles just to waste time and she trashed lots of my cleaning rags and some of my son's clothing amongst other things.
So it seems like the price has gone up to 14 or 15 for cleaning women starting new jobs. Most people I spoke to that hired recently are paying more than 13. The ones paying less are the people that have the same employee for at least 2 years already.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries