Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Most amazing and interesting gemachs!
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6

gamanit

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 1:14 pm
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
So you have enough money to go bowling but are suddenly too poor/stingy to pay for shoe rental?? How odd. Bowling is not a must. It's an extra, if you can afford it. A gemach is generally made for chesed. It's not a chesed to help people go bowling. How weird.

It's a chessed to help people have a nice time doing something that would usually be out of their budget. Why wouldn't it be? Taking a family of 8 bowling is a very affordable trip if you're only paying the lane fee but if you have to rent shoes for everyone suddenly it's way too expensive.

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 1:23 pm
Someone in my daughters class has a fork gemach, If someone forgot their fork for lunch.

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 1:25 pm
Soccer and baseball clear gemach. In Bergen county.

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 1:29 pm
gamanit wrote:
People borrow it before their trip to take along with them

Well that makes more sense! Why didn't I think of that? I can see the convenience doing it that way. OTOH I always load up the basket of my stroller when I travel, and I would have a hard time without built in storage.

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 1:32 pm
gamanit wrote:
It's a chessed to help people have a nice time doing something that would usually be out of their budget. Why wouldn't it be? Taking a family of 8 bowling is a very affordable trip if you're only paying the lane fee but if you have to rent shoes for everyone suddenly it's way too expensive.

Agreed. And in the summers a lot of places have kids bowl free, but it's not really free if you have to rent shoes. I would have taken my children (who were not in camp due to finances) several times in the summer but didn't bec of the expense of bowling shoes.

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 3:25 pm
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
I would want to start a kugel gemach. Basically 2 or 3 types of kugel that I would have frozen on hand if somebody needed it for -extra guests -when they are sick -after birth -during a hetic work time/simcha time -after surgery -just moved etc. I've had times when I was super morning-sickness nauseous and could barely cook for shabbos so DH just threw in oven a basic chicken but if somebody would have sent over a kugel that would have been super filling and helpful to have with. a potato kugel/yerushalmi kugel from the store is really expensive in my area. Does this sound like a good idea?

Yes, I know of someone who does something similar. She has a full freezer that she stocks with extra food that she baked and sometimes also leftovers from catered affairs. It's available for pple who need a supper or Shabbos food last minute, wtvr the situation.

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 3:27 pm
Mezuzah gemach - when we moved into a new house, after a full day of moving we put up the mezuzas and realized we were a few short because our new house was bigger than our previous house. The local Rosh Kollel has about 20 spare mezzuzas that he lends out for situations like this.

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 7:09 pm
How about a gemach for craft and gift wrapping supplies? Would anyone be interested in that?
Ribbon, cellophane, wrapping paper, different kinds glue and tape, shrink wrap, scissors, tissue paper, different kinds of paper etc...

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 7:18 pm
gamanit wrote:

Where is the bowling shoe gmach located? I would sign up for kids bowl free if had free shoes as well

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 7:20 pm
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
Where is the bowling shoe gmach located? I would sign up for kids bowl free if had free shoes as well

Theres one in baltimore....

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 7:25 pm
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
Theres one in baltimore....
any in Brooklyn?

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 7:28 pm
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
How about a gemach for craft and gift wrapping supplies? Would anyone be interested in that?
Ribbon, cellophane, wrapping paper, different kinds glue and tape, shrink wrap, scissors, tissue paper, different kinds of paper etc...

I would love that

advocate

Post Wed, Nov 27 2019, 8:03 pm
This is one of my favorite threads!

I love reading gemach lists when I travel! I remember in Lakewood there is a post hole digger gemach!

I have a traveling ladies lounge gemach for simchas...

There used to be an egg gemach here, for people baking late at night.

Someone posted a need for a metal detector, so at least for one day I had that one!

Regarding the lost child gemach, I read about that on Sukkos in Yerushalayim (a different one), and then on Yom Kippur, I needed it! BH that story ended well....

I remember reading an article about a man who lived in Israel, and his gemach was a list of all the gemachs! Fantastic!

Good Shabbos everyone!

yo'ma

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 7:29 am
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
Someone in my daughters class has a fork gemach, If someone forgot their fork for lunch.

My 4th grader kind of has a pencil gemach. He told me his friends are always borrowing his pencils. He takes a whole bunch of older used ones to school. I told him his teacher should have a box of pencils on her desk and whoever needs should take and at the end of the day the teacher reminds them to return it.

Shouldn’t this thread be moved to the gemach forum?

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Dec 01 2019, 2:13 am
I have a grape juice gemach for when it's right before shabbos and the stores are closed and you don't have grape juice for shabbos Smile

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Dec 01 2019, 8:25 am
When I was in college I had a transit card gemach - kept an extra transportation card with 2/3 extra fares on it and would lend it out when people were in a rush/ couldn’t find their card /were taking a bus as opposed to a subway where they wouldn’t be able to refill it.

amother
Tan

Post Sun, Dec 01 2019, 9:19 am
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
Nanny cam gemach - you have a new sitter or you are suspicious about something you borrow the nanny cam and record her for a few days.

I once borrowed a gown from a plus size gown gemach in Monsey. Was very very grateful!

Please list contact are the gowns in new looking condition ?

amother
Tan

Post Sun, Dec 01 2019, 9:26 am
In lakewood I wish there was a safety child locks gates.... gemach. I get nervous watching my kid like a hawk but these things add up

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Dec 01 2019, 9:42 am
someone should open a weddding arches gemach

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Dec 01 2019, 9:52 am
Where I live there used to be a wedding shtick gmach, I don't know if it's still around, I've not had need of it for many years.
We also have a bris gemach and shalom zachor gemach. Both of these are run by volunteers who order all food, bring all food and paperware to the location and prepare and set up the tables. The only thing the couple has to do is pay for the food, I think they can choose how much they want. It's an amazing chesed.
Page 6 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries