Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
How does 'shivim panim laTorah' work with events?
Previous  1  2

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 1:52 pm
Some are true on a literal level, and others are true on a figurative level.

As some mentioned, Rivka's literal age vs her maturity level. Each of the accepted meforshim are true in at least one sense.

Malbim attempts to combine the various narratives in a way that makes sense logically.

But remember that the story is not told as a historical record, but as a lesson to us. And each version of the story has something for us to learn.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 2:26 pm
Rivka waited a long time before "complaining" about her lack of children. I understand it as from age 3 to 12 it was not a concern at all. For the next couple years it sort of was. At 20 years she was 23. Then it was clearly something more.

DrMom

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 3:33 pm
zaq wrote:
Call me simpleminded, but these things don’t bother me. The meaning of the word perush is “interpretation.” These are all different people’s interpretations, not necessarily literal truth. The variety itself is fascinating. Each is plausible in its own way, any one of them MAY be the truth, and by the same token they may all be off base.

ITA.

Commentators see something unusual in the text, so they attempt explain it.

Each has his own unique interpretation /explanation

Lrr

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 5:08 pm
I have the same question. The deeper you delve into the parsha with all the commentaries and ideas, I come away with nothing as certain and essentially, am not sure what to think. I also don't understand how there can be so many opinions about a pshat fact if all of these chachamim have some degree of ruach hakodesh especially when the FACTS are contradictory. or then you read an explanation that is satisfying but maybe its contrived...how do we know its true...I can also come up with explanations. Its very frustrating.

Rosie89

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 6:06 pm
I think I remember learning once that there are multiple worlds, and one meforash’s interpretation of the pshat is what happened in one world and another is what happened in a second, and so forth. Don’t ask me for a source—it was a long time ago.

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 7:02 pm
I realize from reading these explanations, if someone is struggling with emunah and not sure if anything is real or true, these explanations make it worse. If your starting point is your sure every word on the Torah is moshe misinia, then any explanation is fine, like from the amother above who is explaining the contradictions are ok, because it's different worlds.

princessleah

Post Fri, Nov 29 2019, 1:12 pm
Maybe don't think of "ruach hakodesh" as prophecy-- which it isn't, because there is a difference between a Navi and a Chacham.
I think of it more as 'divine inspiration'-- meaning-- this work is a result of Godly living and thought/action, and is therefore holy and accepted into the canon.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics