Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Who is making Thanksgiving dinner?
Previous  1  2

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 4:03 pm
We are having turkey (deli) sandwiches 😛

icebreaker

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 4:05 pm
We are. My eldest dd is home from college until Sunday so I’m extra happy. Not doing anything extremely big and time-consuming, but a nice dinner nonetheless.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 4:23 pm
I don't know anyone irl

rzab

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 4:44 pm
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
We do Thanksgiving every year, always have. I went to Bais Yackov schools as did my kids. But I always kept them out of school on Thanksgiving. We are several generations American.

I think that's the bigger indicator. I grew up MO, but I'm first generation American. My immigrant parents couldn't really wrap their head around Thanksgiving, especially the fact that it was on a Thursday. For a few years my mother tried making a Thanksgiving shabbos but no one in my family liked turkey or sweet-potato etc and we had no extended family around so it was just a regular shabbos.
My husband is not American and we don't live in America so no Thanksgiving for us! But I do miss having the day off!

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 4:47 pm
Ruchel wrote:
I don't know anyone irl

It’s not a French holiday, obviously.

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 5:15 pm
im alone

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 5:22 pm
Not I. My dh is not American, and I grew up not celebrating (yeshivish). So it would just be a lot of work to take on, especially on erev shabbos, that no one is really expecting or necessarily appreciating. I definitely enjoy the day off work and having the kids home (or navigating everyone's social plans, as the case may be).

essie14

Post Fri, Nov 29 2019, 1:06 am
We live in Israel but I still make Thanksgiving Friday night because it's a fun themed shabbat and I enjoy it. My kids like having some American culture in their lives and the food is so yummy.
We are DL.
I occasionally do the Thanksgiving theme on a random shabbat at other times of the year too.
This week were having lentil soup with the Turkey because of the parsha!

etky

Post Fri, Nov 29 2019, 1:53 am
Does (DH not me) watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade count?
That's what our 'observance' has dwindled down to at this point.
DH always feels kinda sad on Thanksgiving cause he grew up in a (Conservative) home where, aside from the Pesach seder, this was THE big family event of the year for the entire extended family. It was huge. All the cousins and their families still fly in from all over the US for Thanksgiving and the one cousin who keeps still kosher and who has a large home hosts it. We joined them a few years ago and it was really nice for us to reunite with DH's extended family.

I grew up in a MO home and we used to do a very low key Thanksgiving at home. We had no extended family that we were in touch with so it was just our immediate family and sometimes the turkey was just turkey hotdogs Can't Believe It . My parents both had the day off and we had no school but I don't recall ever doing anything special on the day itself.
In school though (a MO yeshiva) they made a huge issue of Thanksgiving: we learned songs, put on a play, learned about the Pilgrims etc.
I do remember other people in our community making more of a 'chag' of the day. Our family circumstances just didn't lend themselves to it.

Here in Israel, in the earlier years of our marriage, we used to do Thanksgiving at home, with friends or at a hotel dinner, but once the kids came along we found the Thursday night issue too hard to manage. We still did a Friday night with some Thanksgiving dishes for a while but eventually that petered out too.
If you don't have extended family interested in celebrating or friends who are into it too then it's hard to maintain enthusiasm for the holiday as an expat. No one in the surrounding society is marking the occasion, it's not a public holiday and it inconveniently falls on a Thursday night. Now Black Friday - that is a 'tradition' that Israelis have happily taken on Rolling Eyes
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics