Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Apathetic boy

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 11:53 am
My 12 yr old (almost bar mitzvah!) boy is a good kid. He does well in school, has friends and seems to have had only good experiences with his rebbes/teachers. However, he can be so apethetic and sarcastic about yiddishkeit and mitzvahs. He still won't say brachas unless asked to. He'll laugh about the fact that he didn't say a bracha and then say it after hes finished eating. He'll say things like, why do I have to wash hands/, hear kiddush. I've stopped responding, because I think he enjoys the attention.
How concerned should I be? Is he still young? Is this the start of otd if not dealt with? So sad to think that all he's learning at school and at home isn't touching him at all.

dankbar

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 12:03 pm
Maybe he doesn't enjoy if you are nagging him

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 4:25 pm
I would be worried. He doesnt sound apathetic he sounds like he is mocking Judaism, or hes angry about certain restriction and rituals.
This is just a gut feeling that maybe hes not as happy as he seems. If it were my child I would start therapy to get to the bottom of this attitude.

ectomorph

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 4:58 pm
I knew a kid like that who went OTD. There were a lot of untreated family problems that everyone was in denial about.

Therapy sounds like a good start.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children