Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Just discovered today is the National Day of Mourning

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 4:28 pm

Quote:
In 1970, Native Americans first came together on Cole's Hill in Plymouth to instead observe the National Day of Mourning — an annual reminder of the "genocide of millions of Native people, the theft of Native lands, and the relentless assault on Native culture," according to the United American Indians of New England (UAINE).

Over the years, the community has buried Plymouth Rock, the site where William Bradford, the founder of Plymouth Colony settlement first arrived in 1620, arrived. It has also placed a Ku Klux Klax sheet over a statue of Bradford.

"We are mourning our ancestors and the genocide of our peoples and the theft of our lands," the statement on UAINE's website reads. "It is a day when we mourn, but we also feel our strength in political action."

The "genocide" here refers to the number of massacres that followed the European colonization of the Americas. Perhaps the most notable is the Pequot Massacre, which took place in 1637.

In the spring of that year, the Pequots, a tribe in Connecticut, grew increasingly frustrated with Puritans who had spread from Massachusetts Bay into southeastern Connecticut. Conflict ensued, leading to the deaths of 13 colonists and traders. When the colonists began to mobilize in an effort to punish the Indians, nearly 200 Pequot Indians banded together and attacked a settlement. In the process, they killed six men and three women.

In May, the Puritans and their Indian allies responded to the Pequot attacks by carrying out three separate massacres in a number of Pequot villages. Only a small number of Pequot Indians survived, and those who did were either sold into slavery or joined other tribes. A day after the last massacre occurred, John Endecott, the governor of the Massachusetts Bay colony, reportedly celebrated the Puritans's victory by organizing a feast.

The Pequot Massacre, however, was just one of many incidents in which Native Americans were slaughtered by the masses. In the aftermath of America's "founding" in 1776, multiple massacres continued to take place.

Today, historians believe the Bear River Massacre of 1863, which took place near what is now the Utah-Idaho boundary line, is the deadliest attack on Native Americans by the U.S. military. An estimated 250 Shoshoni Indians were killed that year.

The Native American community remains one of the most marginalized demographics in the U.S. today. Most American Indian communities live near the poverty line, with some tribes reporting unemployment as high as 85 percent, according to nonprofit organization Running Strong for American Indian Youth.

Even worse, more than 120,000 tribal homes lacked access to basic water sanitation just eight years ago, the Environmental Protection Agency notes. Because of these issues, Thanksgiving holds less significance for many Native Americans than it does for other racial groups.

"To me, Thanksgiving is a reminder of our resistance as Indigenous People navigating this settler society that continuously tries to erase and destroy us, yet we are still here," Allen Salway, a community organizer from the Navajo Nation, wrote for Paper Magazine last year. "I will spend it honoring my ancestors and their fight for survival."

http://www.uaine.org/
https://www.aol.com/article/li.....0074/

Does anyone else think this matters? These people matter? What do you think?

Learning

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 4:36 pm
We have enough problems and we don’t need more by going into discussion on this issue especially that op is anonymous

Last edited by Learning on Thu, Nov 28 2019, 4:37 pm; edited 2 times in total

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 4:36 pm
I didn't read the links. I'll try to do so later if I have time.

This is a hard discussion. I have a friend whose ex husband is 1/2 Cherokee so her kids, by virtue of being 1/4 Native American, can get free college if they regularly renew their ties by going to a reservation somewhere. But they really don't think about their NA heritage much, not just because they mostly identify as Jewish.

But there are a lot of NAs who live very difficult lives, with cycles of poverty and alcoholism and more. They're probably the ones commemorating this day. I wish them well in breaking the cycle.

SuperWify

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 6:52 pm
Personally, I have always felt for the native Americans. And as a Jew I’m sure you all can understand what it means to be stripped from your culture and forced to change into the world’s idea of normal. As for the genocide matter we can, unfortunately, all relate.

groisamomma

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 7:00 pm
SuperWify wrote:
Personally, I have always felt for the native Americans. And as a Jew I’m sure you all can understand what it means to be stripped from your culture and forced to change into the world’s idea of normal. As for the genocide matter we can, unfortunately, all relate.

Yet as a Jew, precisely because I understand the above, I cannot wrap my mind around entire communities that use all that as an excuse not to move forward. Look at us! Look at what our ancestors went through! The same or worse! Yet, we rebuilt. We didn't wallow and expect the country to shoulder the financial burden of raising and educating our kids. Our grandparents came here with literally the clothing on their backs and look what they did for future generations!

Then again, we are punished today as a result. No free college for our kids. Nope, our grandparents made the mistake of getting off the couch and getting themselves work instead of wallowing as they cursed this great country while waiting on the welfare line.

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 7:24 pm
groisamomma wrote:
Yet as a Jew, precisely because I understand the above, I cannot wrap my mind around entire communities that use all that as an excuse not to move forward. Look at us! Look at what our ancestors went through! The same or worse! Yet, we rebuilt. We didn't wallow and expect the country to shoulder the financial burden of raising and educating our kids. Our grandparents came here with literally the clothing on their backs and look what they did for future generations!

Then again, we are punished today as a result. No free college for our kids. Nope, our grandparents made the mistake of getting off the couch and getting themselves work instead of wallowing as they cursed this great country while waiting on the welfare line.

I largely agree with your post. We are the original Weebles. You know, that toy that wobbles but doesn't fall down. But you can't compare our experience in the US with the Native Americans'.

STMommy

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 8:21 pm
I was aware of this. When I was in college, my Hillel chapter brought in a Taino gentleman who spoke about the similarities and differences between his beliefs and Judaism. He told us, "For us, 1492 is like your 1942". It was very jarring.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics