Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Has your teenager been medicated for depression or anxiety

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 1:21 pm
If so please tell me for which and at what age
And how you knew it was time for meds (after yrs of therapy or an extreme situation or what)
If you dont mind to share...
Has he she been on meds for long?. Have you seen results? Would they come off meds or have they come off meds?
All insight would be helpful.

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 1:41 pm
Yes.
I medicated when the symptoms were interfering with function, emotional stability, and ability to participate in life, grow developmentally, and enjoy life.

I'm of the belief that if something can help my child, I will do it

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 1:43 pm
Adding on:
For the children on meds, they have been helped tremendously, and are successful as students, socially, and in their lives. That is my goal as a mother.

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 1:46 pm
My cousin is 17 and has been medicated for the last two years for severe depression.

It's been quite a rough journey. She ended up in the hospital after becoming suicidal from one of the meds (for some reason, they did not pick up that it was the meds right away). She was sent from one med to the next until her body was totally crazy. Finally, B'H, they found a good psychiatrist who was able to figure out what to do with her. She's in a better place now, though she still has a long road ahead of her.

Meds can help tremendously for teens, but you need a psychiatrist who is experienced in monitoring adolescent medication and knows how to manage it properly.

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 2:27 pm
Please don't scrimp on the right psychiatrist for children and adolescents. We paid $850 for the consult and continue to pay exorbitant amounts of money at every visit but it is totally worth it. Take bloodwork and visit often in the beginning.
We started meds for severe depression and anxiety after an extreme breakdown at age 10. No side effects bh. Changed her and our lives for the better. Its 4 years later and we'd never touch it.

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 4:04 pm
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
Please don't scrimp on the right psychiatrist for children and adolescents. We paid $850 for the consult and continue to pay exorbitant amounts of money at every visit but it is totally worth it. Take bloodwork and visit often in the beginning.
We started meds for severe depression and anxiety after an extreme breakdown at age 10. No side effects bh. Changed her and our lives for the better. Its 4 years later and we'd never touch it.

We've been on this journey for about 8 months. No progress really. Looking for a new psychiatrist. Nobody excellent is taking new patients. Any chance, you know somebody in NY/NJ area? For an older teen, ty.

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 4:08 pm
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
We've been on this journey for about 8 months. No progress really. Looking for a new psychiatrist. Nobody excellent is taking new patients. Any chance, you know somebody in NY/NJ area? For an older teen, ty.

We started with Dr. Parikh in White Plains, NY. She trained as a pediatrician so she has an M.D. and was able to use the bloodwork and genetics to pinpoint exactly what DD needed to metabolize her meds more effectively. Relief got us in and subsidized part of the initial visit cost. After a couple of years the drive got too far so we switched to Dr. Zaidi in Freehold, NJ and paid $850 for the visit. He's top of the line but worth every penny. I can't imagine he's not taking new patients.

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 4:21 pm

Dr. Roey Pasternak

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 4:38 pm
Thanks for the responses. I wish you and all your children well.

This isn't severe which is why im questioning if I shld persue meds or encourage her to keep working on her mind set,relaxation techniques etc or have we
gone beyond that and time to medicate. ....shes 16.

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 4:43 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks for the responses. I wish you and all your children well.

This isn't severe which is why im questioning if I shld persue meds or encourage her to keep working on her mind set,relaxation techniques etc or have we
gone beyond that and time to medicate. ....shes 16.

If you're asking the question, it is probably time to medicate. I think mothers know in their gut when it's time. She shouldn't have to suffer.

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 4:45 pm

I think she’s expensiveeee but I’ve heard good things about Halana rothbort I think she’s in 5ts

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 5:00 pm
I had a terrible experience with medication for a teen. The psychiatrist didn't adequately warn about potential side effects. We tried a few different kinds, each horrific in its own way.

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 5:02 pm
Dr. Mark Flood changed my life by finding the right meds. However, I don’t know whether he sees children/adolescents. I am putting it here - perhaps worth it to call his office and ask if he does. If he does not, perhaps ask him whom he recommends.

(201) 488-6543.

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 10:45 pm
My son was put on zoloft for hos mood swings and agression, he's much calmer since.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children