Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
What percent of American's are jewish?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 8:19 pm
thanks

tilot37354

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 8:23 pm
2%

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 8:25 pm
That would be Americans, not American's.

*tremendous pet peeve*

tilot37354

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 8:27 pm
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
That would be Americans, not American's.

*tremendous pet peeve*

Do you correct it's when it's used in a possessive context as apposed a contraction? Tongue Out

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 8:46 pm
thanks

zaq

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 9:53 pm
tilot37354 wrote:
Do you correct it's when it's used in a possessive context as apposed a contraction? Tongue Out

My so-called smartphone always changes my possessive “its” to “it’s”, but I don’t always notice till after I post. Too annoying. If I’m to be excoriated for an error, let it at least be MY error.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 10:02 pm
Yes. I think about 2% as well.

Laiya

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 11:00 pm
It's a tricky question because it puts at issue, Who is a Jew? For surveys, people often self-identify as Jewish if one parent is, so there is a percentage of people who self-identify as Jewish but are not, halachically. Iow, the number is probably less than 2%.

chanchy123

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 11:57 pm
Laiya wrote:
It's a tricky question because it puts at issue, Who is a Jew? For surveys, people often self-identify as Jewish if one parent is, so there is a percentage of people who self-identify as Jewish but are not, halachically. Iow, the number is probably less than 2%.

From what I gather the percentage of people who self-identify as Jews but are not is roughly equal to the percentage of people who do not identify as Jews (or realize they are Jewish) and are Jews.

happyone

Post Fri, Nov 29 2019, 12:40 am
with genealogy testing numbers are actually more accurate. identity and real Gene's tell diff stories.

southernbubby

Post Fri, Nov 29 2019, 7:05 am
When I was growing up, we lived in a working class neighborhood and went to public school and Jews were a distinct minority and I grew up thinking of myself as a member of a minority group.
My grandchildren, by contrast, go to Jewish schools and live among other Jews and shop in Jewish stores and it is a huge shock to them when they learn that most people are not Jewish.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Fri, Nov 29 2019, 9:30 am
tilot37354 wrote:

Yes, I do. I actually just did on a different thread.

tigerwife

Post Fri, Nov 29 2019, 10:56 am
zaq wrote:
My so-called smartphone always changes my possessive “its” to “it’s”, but I don’t always notice till after I post. Too annoying. If I’m to be excoriated for an error, let it at least be MY error.

Ugh yes. That and “were” to “we’re”. Why.

OP, I think I remember hearing on the project inspire video from this past Tishabav that they calculate somewhere between 4 million to 8 million Jews in America. It’s a terribly wide estimate because, unfortunately, so many Jews have no connection to their Jewish identities and it’s impossible for polls to be accurate. Intermarriage also skews the results. So going by the estimate of 329 million Americans, only about 1-2% are Jewish, and far fewer are frum.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Fri, Nov 29 2019, 4:48 pm
happyone wrote:
with genealogy testing numbers are actually more accurate. identity and real Gene's tell diff stories.

What about gerim and children of gerim?

chanchy123

Post Sat, Nov 30 2019, 11:09 am
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
What about gerim and children of gerim?

I would assume that gerim and their children would be very well-aware of their Jewish identity they wouldn't need to resort to genetic testing to discover their heritage, while distenet descendents of gerim would have enough of a mix with biological Jews that that would show up in genetic testing.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics