Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
What age do you stop making them lunch for school?
Previous  1  2

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, Dec 01 2019, 6:18 am
chipmunks wrote:
I've actually wondered about that. Is a mandated reporter allowed to inquire further of the kid? Could the teacher have asked, for example, "do you mean there is literally nothing in your refrigerator or cupboards, or just not enough of what you like?" Or do you have to take it at face value? I can't imagine one would have to call social services every time a kid claims to be "starving".

She's being extreme she doesn't have to blindly call the first second a child says anything.

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Dec 01 2019, 6:19 am
Sorry this is the training in my state. Not sure why you are so mad. Most people are thankful there are measures in place to prevent children from falling through the cracks.
Also not sure why you are so positive what I am required to do or not. As I said, I get thorough yearly training by a direct supervisor.

chipmunks

Post Sun, Dec 01 2019, 6:26 am
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
Sorry this is the training in my state. Not sure why you are so mad. Most people are thankful there are measures in place to prevent children from falling through the cracks.

I get where you're coming from, and I've had a job where I had to follow CPS protocol even when it was illogical and annoyed everyone. In that case (and this) my issue is that it takes social workers'/police officers'/whoever else has to be called's time, energy, and attention away from much more likely cases of actual need. It's a real question, not saying you have much choice. To what extent can you use your judgment and common sense and to what extent do you have to just take the kid's words literally?

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Dec 01 2019, 6:38 am
Like I said, no leading questions. I might say, what do u mean.
Also like I said, there's a big difference btwn a kid who said he didn't bring a lunch and one who says he didn't bring one because there is no food on the house.
And after asking him what he means by that statement if he is adamant there is no food in the house (like I assume ff's daughter was) then yes, I need to call.

shmosmom

Post Sun, Dec 01 2019, 6:47 am
teachkids wrote:
My mom never had time to make us lunch so we always got school lunch. At some point I said I didn't want school lunch, so she told me to tell her on Sunday what I needed her to buy and I could make my own lunch. I think that was around 5th grade.

I would say it's fair to say "This is what I'm making 9 yr old tomorrow, should I make you one too, or do you want to make yourself something else?". That way he can work his way towards independence on his own terms

I love this idea!
Both my parents had super busy schedules and paid for school lunches until I was about 6th grade (11,12). At that point I said I want to bring my own lunch so mom said anything I need should be put on the weekly grocery list.
She also gave me $5 weekly or so for any fill ins. I ended up packing lunch 2 days and buying a yogurt and a bagel or a banana the other 2. On Rosh Chodesh or if I had to stay late at school for whichever reason mom would prepare fancier lunches for the whole fam Smile I really did feel special those days.

mommyhood

Post Sun, Dec 01 2019, 7:08 am
All my kids including the 3 year old are responsible for choosing their own snacks and putting them in their lunchboxes. I cut up/peel fruit or put things in bags for the ones who are too young to do that themselves. I prepare the lunch for everyone under 10 but I will help older ones if they ask or they want something I’m preparing for the younger ones .

Ruchel

Post Sun, Dec 01 2019, 10:13 am
Kids say crazy things. A child with no food, it shows.

professor

Post Sun, Dec 01 2019, 10:13 am
Oh are you kidding? They will come to you for a meal when they turn 100 too

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Dec 01 2019, 11:17 am
my 9 year old can make lunch herself. she was complaining last year so I told her it's her job now and she did it. we ended up switching to a school that offers school lunch but we have to pay so days I don't she makes.

zaq

Post Sun, Dec 01 2019, 4:08 pm
We had school lunches till I was 11 but I went to day camp in summer and made my own lunches when I was 8 or 9. It doesn’t take a whole lot of skill to slap a slice of cheese or a blob of peanut butter between two slices of bread and wash an apple. Your 12 yo is definitely old enough and your 9 yo probably is as well as long as you make sure they don’t pack just potato chips and juice.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children