Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Anxiety and the Dentist

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 7:19 pm
My son formed this new anxiety over the dentist and taking xrays. We can’t even hold him down for X-rays on the last visit when he had cavity. The dentist had to fill it without seeing an X-ray of the tooth. Before the visit, I explained it to him and we practiced putting something in his mouth to show him he won’t choke. Still when we got to the office he flipped out. We’re coming up to a check up and he’s already crying how he’s going to choke. Any ideas? I go to a pediatric dentist. They even tried using manual xrays as their smaller pieces but he refused to open his mouth.

singleagain

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 7:36 pm
Dental anxiety is a very real thing. I'd look up online for any tips.. and maybe consider seeing a therapist short term for tools to help your son.

shanarishona

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 10:00 pm
We use laughing gas for regular dental visits and Valium for a cavity filling. (Although she had a difficult reaction when the Valium wore off which they said is common

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 7:12 am
Laughing has didn’t work bec he couldn’t calm down and breath it in. He just kept trying to pull off the mask.
He’s 7, I would be scared to give Valium so young.

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Dec 01 2019, 8:36 am
would you consider a new dentist?
I use Ezra medical center. MY 11 year old son did exactly like your son. He 'choked' on the x-rays and all the drama was not easy on him and me.. I used their so sweet 'gentle' dentist...

Once he needed an emergency appointment, he gums were swollen.
I hd to use whichever dentist was available. It was the loud and 'funny' dentist. My son acted like an adult in this doctor's chair! I used him already for an extraction and my son behaved like an angel.
Different strokes for different folks.
After this experience, I realized that the 'sweet voice' dentist isn't so patient and gentle after all. I used her for my other son a month later and I'm never going back to her again!
You can't compare the 2!
It was Hashgacha Pratis that this 'loud' dentist had a cancellation just then when I had an emergency.

I highly recommend Dr Jackson! He jokes a lot and distracted my son. He is VERY gentle! has a lot of patience to kids!!!
I already used him again and again and once a different dentist working there stopped by and asked him to come help her with a patient who doesn't want to sit still..

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 6:11 pm
Op here, we’re back to the dentist again for a filling. Again couldn’t get xrays. Anyone know if melatonin might work to calm my son for the visit? Or is there anything else?

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 6:17 pm
Cbd oil or gummies. Benadryl. Bach rescue remedy. Vistaril.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 16 2020, 7:25 pm
How do they work? When do you take?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 4:49 am
Would Benadryl put to sleep?

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Jun 17 2020, 4:56 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How do they work? When do you take?
try them. For vistaril you would need an rx. Similar to Benadryl but more sedating. I don’t know if the make a kid fall asleep, more like drowsy
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children