Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Genius & Anxiety: How Jews Changed the World, 1847-1947

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 01 2019, 11:09 am
Amazon is promoting this as one of its notable History books for December

My mother used to say that the three people who greatly changed the course of the modern world were all Jewish - Freud, Einstein and Marx and each had a Yiddish Kopf. LOL I guess she could have written this book

Genius & Anxiety: How Jews Changed the World, 1847-1947 by Norman Lebrecht.

A unique chronicle of the years 1847-1947, the century when the Jewish people changed the world—and it changed them.

In a hundred-year period, a handful of men and women changed the way we see the world. Many of them are well known—Marx, Freud, Proust, Einstein, Kafka. Others have vanished from collective memory despite their enduring importance in our daily lives. Without Karl Landsteiner, for instance, there would be no blood transfusions or major surgery. Without Paul Ehrlich, no chemotherapy. Without Siegfried Marcus, no motor car. Without Rosalind Franklin, genetic science would look very different. Without Fritz Haber, there would not be enough food to sustain life on earth.

What do these visionaries have in common? They all had Jewish origins. They all had a gift for thinking in wholly original, even earth-shattering ways. In 1847 the Jewish people made up less than 0.25% of the world’s population, and yet they saw what others could not. How? Why?

Norman Lebrecht has devoted half of his life to pondering and researching the mindset of the Jewish intellectuals, writers, scientists, and thinkers who turned the tides of history and shaped the world today as we know it. In Genius & Anxiety, Lebrecht begins with the Communist Manifesto in 1847 and ends in 1947, when Israel was founded. This robust, magnificent volume, beautifully designed, is an urgent and necessary celebration of Jewish genius and contribution.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Dec 01 2019, 11:38 am
Where does anxiety fit in? I am curious! Smile

DrMom

Post Sun, Dec 01 2019, 11:48 am
Sounds amazing!

Thanks for passing this on to all of us.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Dec 01 2019, 12:02 pm
And of course, there are many other Jews who changed the world. Like Sarah Schenirer.

Amalia

Post Sun, Dec 01 2019, 12:18 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
And of course, there are many other Jews who changed the world. Like Sarah Schenirer.

Except that there is no good, accurate book about her (the last time I checked, which was, admittedly, a while ago.)

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Dec 01 2019, 12:20 pm
Amalia wrote:
Except that there is no good, accurate book about her (the last time I checked, which was, admittedly, a while ago.)

Nobody wants to talk about the fact that she was divorced. Which is just wrong. And no big deal.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room