Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
If you had one crockpot...

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 7:24 pm
...would you keep it for Pesach or all year? I received one as a gift and it's lying in my cabinet unused. I've never used one before, neither has my mother and I'm not sure what to do with it.

I know it's incredibly useful for preparing all-in-one suppers earlier in the day and perhaps I should give it a try but since I've never used it before it just feels like a new curve ball to master and I just push it off again and again.

I'm wondering if I should just keep it for Pesach. Anyone have one for Pesach and find it helpful?

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 7:33 pm
Me? I would find a good sale and get one for Pesach.

zaq

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 7:34 pm
Year round of course. Pesach is one week. And you don’t make cholent on Pesach.

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 7:40 pm
I learned how to make a good Chulent in a good crockpot.
My mother used to make her Chulent in a pot, using the blech. The pot was hard to clean and the blech made the house hot in the summer.
I really like being able to use a crockpot liner in the crockpot.
It doesn’t make the house hot in the summer at all.
I really don’t like leaving the flame on overnight.

I used to have lots of men in my house for pesach and I used to crockpot for pesach to have meat and potatoes cooking all day on erev pesach for the men to eat so they don’t go into yomtov hungry.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 7:54 pm
I'd use it year round.

And you can buy another for $25 before pesach if you want it, otherwise you'll manage without it for 8 days.

I have 2 and love using it year round and also love using the other one on pesach.

Rivka10

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 8:29 pm
Use year round, as been said above- Pesach is a week. Find a cheap one and use it then if you think it's helpful/necessary.

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 8:45 pm
Confession. I have 2 for the year. Use one for chicken soup and one for chulent. I put the chicken for Friday night on top of the cholent.

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 9:30 pm
Use it for the year.
If you like using it you can always get another one for pesach!
(Btw black friday sale in kohl's you can get a crockpot for under $10 so don't think too much about it!!! LOL )

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Nov 28 2019, 10:41 pm
It's very helpful for Pesach when you come home from a full day out and dinner is ready Wink
I use it about once a week all year long (dinner, not chulent) and pesach every night.

southernbubby

Post Fri, Nov 29 2019, 12:07 am
I have 2 for Pesach. Use for roasts and chicken while you have your oven filled other stuff.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Nov 29 2019, 6:38 am
I don't use it so much, but definitely not keep it one week! keep it the rest of the year

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 01 2019, 2:13 pm
Thanks everyone. It definitely makes more sense to use it year round it's just... you know what it's like, when you've never used something you don't know what you're missing!

I'm perfectly happy with my cholent, so I'm afraid changing over to the crockpot will change how it comes out. And during the week? What can I actually make in the crockpot that I can't make in a regular pot?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Dec 01 2019, 2:25 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks everyone. It definitely makes more sense to use it year round it's just... you know what it's like, when you've never used something you don't know what you're missing!

I'm perfectly happy with my cholent, so I'm afraid changing over to the crockpot will change how it comes out. And during the week? What can I actually make in the crockpot that I can't make in a regular pot?

It's not about what can't be made in a regular pot. It's about putting dinner up in the morning, going out, and coming home to a ready meal.
Some ideas
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....98170

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Dec 01 2019, 2:52 pm
Actually op, I get you.... I have a new microwave in a box. I never use a microwave though I know it’s helpful for many people.... and I think like you.. why can’t I just heat up food in the oven? I like how it comes out.. what could I be missing? I guess I won’t know until I start using it!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 01 2019, 3:00 pm
ra_mom wrote:
It's not about what can't be made in a regular pot. It's about putting dinner up in the morning, going out, and coming home to a ready meal.
Some ideas
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....98170

Wouldn't the food go bad sitting out for so many hours?

flowerpower

Post Sun, Dec 01 2019, 3:02 pm
I use a crockpot for the cholent every week.

I use one for Pesach as well- Pesach cholent and for chol hamoed suppers.

I’d say use it first for all year round.

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Dec 01 2019, 3:02 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

No way!! It’s cooking slowly with heat the whole time.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Dec 01 2019, 3:27 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Nope. It runs at a safe 250ish degree temperature, slow cooking the way you would a brisket in the oven.

exhausted

Post Sun, Dec 01 2019, 3:33 pm
If you really, really can't decide, save it for Pesach, use it then and decide afterwards. I have one for pesach that I never use but I use mine alot during the year for supper.

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Dec 01 2019, 4:58 pm
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
Actually op, I get you.... I have a new microwave in a box. I never use a microwave though I know it’s helpful for many people.... and I think like you.. why can’t I just heat up food in the oven? I like how it comes out.. what could I be missing? I guess I won’t know until I start using it!

I love my microwave! It's great for melting chocolate and steaming vegetables. (Not together!) If you want an onion sauteed and don't need it browned, you can do it in the microwave and spare yourself scrubbing a frying pan. And of course, a baked potato in 8 minutes is a great quick meal. Open that box!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen