Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Hypospadias

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 01 2019, 11:02 am
My baby was born with very mild hypospadias. The recommendation is of course to not do a bris and to do surgery at 6 months (or older).
Ive heard that in some communities, the mohel does a bris and sometimes it partially resolves at the bris. Of course, I’d love to avoid the surgery, but I also don’t want my baby to have lifelong issues, c”v.
I’m looking to hear from people who are either married to someone with hypospadias, or have a child with hypospadias: did you do the surgery, do you regret doing the surgery? If you didn’t do the surgery, does the hypospadias affect your life? How can it correct at the bris? Any insight is very, very appreciated!
Thanks!

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Dec 01 2019, 3:19 pm
My son was born with it. We did the bris and mohel left some extra skin to do surgery.
Bh surgery went well I don't remember exact age of my baby then but dr was able to do it.
(He wasn't so happy mohel did the bris on time. His job would have been easier without!)
Surgery went fine. The first few days after until they removed catheter was extremely painful and I had to hold my baby all the time.
Bh most of it, is forgotten today!

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Dec 01 2019, 5:30 pm
You need a dr that is familiar with bris, and a mohel who is experienced in this issue. Best would be for the dr to agree to speak with the mohel directly. Mazel tov and hatzlocha

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 01 2019, 5:51 pm
Thanks for responding.
I’ve read that 24% of boys who did this surgery are still in pain a month later, and that 40% of parents regret that they did the surgery. Any truth to that?

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Dec 01 2019, 6:10 pm
My baby was born with a very mild hypospadias.
Our pediatrician discouraged us from doing surgery, saying that for such a mild case, he doesn't recommend it.
So that's where we are right now and hoping we're doing the right thing.

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Dec 01 2019, 6:19 pm
My son was also born with mild hypospadias. Our pediatrician told us not to do the surgery. He is now 3 years old and toilet trained and seems fine.

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Dec 01 2019, 6:30 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks for responding.
I’ve read that 24% of boys who did this surgery are still in pain a month later, and that 40% of parents regret that they did the surgery. Any truth to that?

OP may I ask where you're located? or if you're in NYC area?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 01 2019, 6:54 pm
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
OP may I ask where you're located? or if you're in NYC area?

I’m not in NY or the tristate area, but we would travel, if necessary.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 01 2019, 6:59 pm
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
My baby was born with a very mild hypospadias.
Our pediatrician discouraged us from doing surgery, saying that for such a mild case, he doesn't recommend it.
So that's where we are right now and hoping we're doing the right thing.

Copper and Slateblue, I so appreciate that you posted that your pediatricians are okay with leaving it alone. While I obviously have no way of knowing if it’s the same severity, the urologists here seem to feel that since they *can* repair it, why wouldn’t we want to?

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Dec 01 2019, 7:05 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I’m not in NY or the tristate area, but we would travel, if necessary.

Dr. Kenneth Glassberg is excellent, although that was a while ago and I don't know if he's still practicing. If he is, I would say definitely, 100% try to get an appointment. He was very, very reluctant to rush into surgery and had a wait and see approach.

Dr. Jordan Gitlin, in Great Neck, was also great. He told me if my ds were his kid, he would not do surgery. (I had 3 boys with related concerns)

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Dec 01 2019, 7:07 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Copper and Slateblue, I so appreciate that you posted that your pediatricians are okay with leaving it alone. While I obviously have no way of knowing if it’s the same severity, the urologists here seem to feel that since they *can* repair it, why wouldn’t we want to?

I think the main issues would be, how off center the opening is, and is it an actual or future problem or merely cosmetic? Of course only the doctor can answer

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 01 2019, 7:10 pm
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
Dr. Kenneth Glassberg is excellent, although that was a while ago and I don't know if he's still practicing. If he is, I would say definitely, 100% try to get an appointment. He was very, very reluctant to rush into surgery and had a wait and see approach.

Dr. Jordan Gitlin, in Great Neck, was also great. He told me if my ds were his kid, he would not do surgery. (I had 3 boys with related concerns)

Thank you!! Very valuable info. I will reach out!

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Dec 01 2019, 7:24 pm
My son was born with this issue. Dr. In the hospital said we can't do a bris until we see a urologist. We got an emergency appointment he said np to do the bris but come back. We took a mohel that had experience with this issue. He did a great job. And we did surgery when baby was a year old. Was for cosmetic reason only. No problem recovering, he went to daycare the next day! He is 3 years old and has no problem. Talk to a mohel they will direct you further.

Good luck!

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Dec 01 2019, 7:33 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you!! Very valuable info. I will reach out!

Hatzlocha!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics