Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Games
Ticket to Ride vs. Settlers of Catan

AOM

Post Sun, Dec 01 2019, 11:03 pm
Which should I buy for my kids, I still have a young family but my oldest 2 are almost 8 and 9.....

Brachie69

Post Sun, Dec 01 2019, 11:09 pm
Ticket to Ride would be perfect for those ages it's not as complex as Settlers. They would catch on fairly fast and enjoy!

Iymnok

Post Sun, Dec 01 2019, 11:11 pm
We have both. Ticket to ride is much easier to understand. It says age 8+, but DD got it at 7. Catan is a little more complex, so it takes more time and patience to learn. We usually play in teams since the younger ones don’t have patience to finish.

sky

Post Sun, Dec 01 2019, 11:12 pm
I’d recommend Ticket to ride. It’s easier to learn and play. Game time is limited. You can play without major strategies. Setup is easier and much faster.
Catan is more complicated. More rules. Games are longer. Part of game is purposely blocking other players.

Last edited by sky on Sun, Dec 01 2019, 11:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

small bean

Post Sun, Dec 01 2019, 11:12 pm
Ticket to ride much easier to play.

chocolate fondue

Post Mon, Dec 02 2019, 12:11 am
We have both. I much prefer Settlers of Catan. I can never play Ticket to Ride with my kids, because I can't keep track of which color cards I'm trying to collect. If one of the other kids interupts me, I lose focus. (Also, I find it really boring.)
There is very little interaction in Ticket to Ride; everyone is focused on what they are trying to do and just waiting for their turn so they can do their next move. Catan is about trading, there is more than one way to win (development cards, longest road, largest army, cities etc). There is a lot more strategy and everyone's turn is relevant for every players. Also, its expandable if you want more people to be able to play and you can add more stuff to it as well (seafarers etc) when your kids get bored of the original game. It's the one game I really enjoy playing with my kids.
(BTW, we changed the rules slightly regarding the robber - if someone gets a 7, they choose a resource hex to put the robber on, but take that resource from the bank rather than another player - it reduces a lot of hard feelings among the players)

chanchy123

Post Mon, Dec 02 2019, 2:07 am
We have both - but my kids only play ticket to ride.

flower2

Post Mon, Dec 02 2019, 2:24 am
Both Gr8 games- for ur kids ages, I would start w ticket to ride

groovy1224

Post Mon, Dec 02 2019, 4:18 am
chocolate fondue wrote:
We have both. I much prefer Settlers of Catan. I can never play Ticket to Ride with my kids, because I can't keep track of which color cards I'm trying to collect. If one of the other kids interupts me, I lose focus. (Also, I find it really boring.)
There is very little interaction in Ticket to Ride; everyone is focused on what they are trying to do and just waiting for their turn so they can do their next move. Catan is about trading, there is more than one way to win (development cards, longest road, largest army, cities etc). There is a lot more strategy and everyone's turn is relevant for every players. Also, its expandable if you want more people to be able to play and you can add more stuff to it as well (seafarers etc) when your kids get bored of the original game. It's the one game I really enjoy playing with my kids.
(BTW, we changed the rules slightly regarding the robber - if someone gets a 7, they choose a resource hex to put the robber on, but take that resource from the bank rather than another player - it reduces a lot of hard feelings among the players)

I agree with your observations and also prefer settlers of Catan, but for OP's age kids I would suggest ticket to Ride. The strategy required in Catan are more cut throat so it would be too much for an 8/9 year old.

chocolate fondue

Post Mon, Dec 02 2019, 5:37 am
Yes, good point. I forgot what ages OP's kids are. Ticket to Ride is easier.

seeker

Post Mon, Dec 02 2019, 6:10 am
What they said. Catan is a more engaging game but TTR is way better for OPs ages and also easier to play often because it takes shorter to play and doesn't need any setup.

AOM

Post Mon, Dec 02 2019, 11:49 am
Thanks a million everyone!!
I bought Ticket to Ride Smile

When we need an update I'll head to Settlers.....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics