Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Realistic for single mom to make aliyah?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 02 2019, 7:27 am
My dream in life is to make aliyah.I am a single mom with a 3 year old daughter. I currently live in an economically depressed country so would not be able to take any money to Israel. I cannot count on financial help from family or ex-husband. I would be alone; and yet this remains my one ambition in life. I have a very good qualification, albeit in a generally low-paying field.

I have been told that my chances of finding a job are reasonably good, although I am not sure I would be able to survive on one income. My earning potential is probably about 8000NIS per month. I would live in Ramat Bet Shemesh or Modiin.

I would love to hear from any other single moms who have attempted aliyah successfully.
Should I persist and make plans... or should I try to make peace with the fact that this is probably not realistic? Please help me.

mirror

Post Mon, Dec 02 2019, 7:31 am
I think FranticFrummie did that.

banana123

Post Mon, Dec 02 2019, 7:34 am
The two areas you named are relatively expensive. Unless your earning capacity is higher than you think, I would not suggest it.
If you are set on it, do a pilot trip, look at apartments, and search for a job - before you make your final decision.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Dec 02 2019, 8:07 am
Kol hakavod to you! Brave and focused - you're my hero!

If you chose those places to live because you have friends or relatives who can be a social safety net, then go ahead. Otherwise, maybe look for someplace a bit less expensive. Don't forget to factor in commuting time and expense.

Many dati leumi yishuvim are less expensive and will be welcoming to a single mom. But of course a lot depends on where you get work.

daagahminayin

Post Mon, Dec 02 2019, 8:19 am
Be sensible, maybe check out less expensive areas as people have suggested. Although if it’s just you and your daughter, you wouldn’t need to spend on a large apartment.

You have a means of parnasa - is there a way to secure a job before you move? If you don’t find a job in your field, there are work from home (US hours) call jobs you could do that are fairly stable while you are looking for a more suitable job.

Your daughter is a good age to move - the older she gets the harder the adjustment.

Research the gans and schools in the area you move to and make sure they have a place for your child and you are pleased with them.

If this is your one ambition in life (and it’s a very special ambition) it seems very important to give it a try. Don’t give it up so fast. B’hatzlacha raba!

myself

Post Mon, Dec 02 2019, 8:29 am
I can't comment on the aliyah factor but in terms of adjustment, since your daughter is only three I'd say it's a really ideal time to move.

Whatever you decide, hatzlacha!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 02 2019, 10:06 am
Thanks for the replies.

Bumping because I would appreciate more input.

I have chosen either RBS or Modiin as I have some friends there and I feel I will need some sort of support structure. I dont have family in Israel.

Does anyone have a standard budget for 2 people living in the Mercaz?

Anyone in RBS A - please can you tell me if its possible to rent a 3 room apartment for 3000NIS?

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Dec 02 2019, 10:22 am
Have you considered a mercaz klita (absorption center) for the first year? They are a bit basic but very cheap (subsidized and run by the Jewish Agency) and usually have an Ulpan to learn or improve your Hebrew on site. They are also a good place to make new friends. And staff can help you sort out any bureaucratic difficulties. During your year there you can look for a job. If you find one and want to move, you can. I started my life in Israel in a mercaz klita and found it very helpful, especially since I came alone and with a low budget.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 02 2019, 10:24 am
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
Have you considered a mercaz klita (absorption center) for the first year? They are a bit basic but very cheap (subsidized and run by the Jewish Agency) and usually have an Ulpan to learn or improve your Hebrew on site. They are also a good place to make new friends. And staff can help you sort out any bureaucratic difficulties. During your year there you can look for a job. If you find one and want to move, you can. I started my life in Israel in a mercaz klita and found it very helpful, especially since I came alone and with a low budget.

Thanks for this Forestgreen. I wasn't aware that absorption centers still existed. Can anyone confirm? Do they take single moms with kids?

amother
Green

Post Mon, Dec 02 2019, 10:28 am
myself wrote:
I can't comment on the aliyah factor but in terms of adjustment, since your daughter is only three I'd say it's a really ideal time to move.

Whatever you decide, hatzlacha!

Yes this is the most important imo. The younger she is the easier it will be for her to adjust.
Older kids definitely have their struggles when making aliya.

Please, if you do make aliya try to do it as soon as your are able

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Dec 02 2019, 10:28 am
I remember hearing a while back that anglos were no longer being approved for aliyah to mercazei klita. But possibly ask the jewish agency about that.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Dec 02 2019, 10:38 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
I remember hearing a while back that anglos were no longer being approved for aliyah to mercazei klita. But possibly ask the jewish agency about that.

OP wrote that she's from an economically depressed country. So she probably wouldn't be counted as "anglo". (Neither am I).

tilot37354

Post Mon, Dec 02 2019, 10:43 am
I think you get a nice starting package from nefesh bnefesh regardless to start you off. You can definitely find a 3 room (I assume you mean 2 BR, especially tiny BR) in beit shemesh for 3k. I think Aliyah should be doable, given the free childcare and jumpstart package that should keep you afloat until you find a job that you can live on. Food for 2 people is cheap. Contact NBN.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Dec 02 2019, 10:43 am
OP wrote that she's from an economically depressed country. So she probably wouldn't be counted as "anglo". (Neither am I).
Thank you, I missed that bit. Then a mercaz klita may be something to think about.
But I also heard that they have been closing down most/many mercazei klita except for russian and ethiopian olim. I could be wrong, but thats what I heard.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Dec 02 2019, 10:45 am
tilot37354 wrote:
I think you get a nice starting package from nefesh bnefesh regardless to start you off. You can definitely find a 3 room (I assume you mean 2 BR, especially tiny BR) in beit shemesh for 3k. I think Aliyah should be doable, given the free childcare and jumpstart package that should keep you afloat until you find a job that you can live on. Food for 2 people is cheap. Contact NBN.
If she is not from one of the countries that NBN work with, then only the Jewish Agency will help and the sal klita, while it helps, will not be something that anyone can live off of.
What jumpstart package are you referring to?

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Dec 02 2019, 10:49 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Thank you, I missed that bit. Then a mercaz klita may be something to think about.
But I also heard that they have been closing down most/many mercazei klita except for russian and ethiopian olim. I could be wrong, but thats what I heard.

They have talked about closing down for years - I don't know where that stands in practical terms.
Best thing would be if OP spoke directly to the Jewish Agency. That way she'd get accurate up to date information.

Nefesh b'Nefesh operates only out of "anglo countries" (US, UK, SA, AU) and not elsewhere, do they?

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Dec 02 2019, 10:51 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
If she is not from one of the countries that NBN work with, then only the Jewish Agency will help and the sal klita, while it helps, will not be something that anyone can live off of.
What jumpstart package are you referring to?

Actually, I lived off the sal klita. Ate a lot of bread and vegetables that year Wink

Last edited by amother on Mon, Dec 02 2019, 10:52 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 02 2019, 10:51 am
I am Anglo from South Africa. NBN does not work with us as far as I know. We have our own aliyah agency.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Dec 02 2019, 10:53 am
They have talked about closing down for years - I don't know where that stands in practical terms.
Best thing would be if OP spoke directly to the Jewish Agency. That way she'd get accurate up to date information.

Nefesh b'Nefesh operates only out of "anglo countries" (US, UK, SA, AU) and not elsewhere, do they?
NBN does not work with south african olim, this I am sure of. I am not sure about australia. They help from north america and england.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Dec 02 2019, 10:54 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I am Anglo from South Africa. NBN does not work with us as far as I know. We have our own aliyah agency.
Wait, OP, you are from SA? And you are saying that your country is an economically depressed country?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions