Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Which airline do u like to fly ny to il?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 02 2019, 3:47 pm
Was wondering which is good comfortable in economy airline that generally runs smoothly with stopover? Is it comfortable in economy? As compares to el al?

tilot37354

Post Mon, Dec 02 2019, 4:00 pm
Turkish, BA, Swiss... Really they're all the same. Aeroflot is very good, but I don't like flying through countries that I need a visa to enter. Ukrainian is very tight and pretty unprofessional. Alitalia is good flight but not great customer service if you need to call or help in airport. Iberia is also decent, but takes a long time to call. Lufthansa is pretty good, but leg from Germany to Israel is in narrow body plane. Same with Air France, Brussels, LOT, and Austrian. If you want 2 suitcases, the choices are Turkish, Aeroflot, Ukrainian, and Jordanian. Of those, Turkish is my favorite, then Aeroflot, Jordanian, and Ukrainian.

Virgin Atlantic started flying to Israel a few months ago. I haven't flown them to Israel, but I've flown them to London and like them. I'd guess they're a good option to Israel too, if you can find without a long stop.

nchr

Post Mon, Dec 02 2019, 4:15 pm
I really liked Air France. Most of the European airlines put the American ones to shame. I generally use United because I like to fly direct, but on a scale of 1 to 10 it is like a -10 compared to the European ones.

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Dec 02 2019, 6:24 pm
nchr wrote:
I really liked Air France. Most of the European airlines put the American ones to shame. I generally use United because I like to fly direct, but on a scale of 1 to 10 it is like a -10 compared to the European ones.

For direct I think delta is better than united

banana123

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 1:31 am
I only fly El Al. They are the only ones who know how to do security right.
A long-haul flight has tons of fuel and is a prime target for hijackng or bombing. Not worth risking it with a company that does "feel good" security.

tilot37354

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 1:57 am
banana123 wrote:
I only fly El Al. They are the only ones who know how to do security right.
A long-haul flight has tons of fuel and is a prime target for hijackng or bombing. Not worth risking it with a company that does "feel good" security.

I'm assuming you're aware that out of approximately 365 million commercial flights in the past decade, there were maybe 10-20 hijackings? Most of these were on airlines you probably never heard of. You're statistically way more likely to die on the way to the airport than to have your flight hijacked no matter who you fly.

I'm also assuming you're aware that the longest hijacking in history was El Al Flight 426 from Rome to Tel Aviv on July 23, 1968.

I'm also assuming you're aware that security is generally up to the airport/government and not the airline. (I have many choice descriptions for my TSA experiences, but "feel good" is generally not one of them.)

banana123

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 2:16 am
tilot37354 wrote:
I'm assuming you're aware that out of approximately 365 million commercial flights in the past decade, there were maybe 10-20 hijackings? Most of these were on airlines you probably never heard of. You're statistically way more likely to die on the way to the airport than to have your flight hijacked no matter who you fly.

Therefore?

Quote:
I'm also assuming you're aware that the longest hijacking in history was El Al Flight 426 from Rome to Tel Aviv on July 23, 1968.

And unlike others, they've learned their lessons since.

Quote:
I'm also assuming you're aware that security is generally up to the airport/government and not the airline. (I have many choice descriptions for my TSA experiences, but "feel good" is generally not one of them.)

Yes and El Al works with those airports to ensure better security. The most you can say is "as long as El Al flies out of an airport they are involved in its security enough for me to trust other flights leaving that airport." Okay, could be, for me that's not enough, and enough is left up to the airline that El Al's security measures - which they do take - are not misplaced.

etky

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 4:49 am
banana123 wrote:
Yes and El Al works with those airports to ensure better security. The most you can say is "as long as El Al flies out of an airport they are involved in its security enough for me to trust other flights leaving that airport." Okay, could be, for me that's not enough, and enough is left up to the airline that El Al's security measures - which they do take - are not misplaced.

Or, more likely, it could not be.
I don't know about North America, but you can't compare security on ELAL on inbound flights from Europe to TLV and other airlines.
Yes, much is up to the airport and there are places that do have better security than others like certain London airports, some cities in Germany etc.
But ELAL has additional layers of security that other airlines flying out of the same airports do not have.
And then there are airports that have very little security, like Prague for example.
I had two daughters fly to Prague last year. One on ELAL and the other on a cheapie low cost flight.
Leaving Ben Gurion there was no difference.
Returning from Prague, the security on ELAL was the usual ELAL security.
The one who returned on the low cost airline said there was zero apparent security and she felt very uncomfortable because of that.

yc

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 5:08 am
air france - we were singled out in security for our apparent religious appearance. I find the attendants to be snobby.
virgin - only flew once but great experience
delta - great experience.
aeroflot - poor experience. only worth flying to save money, but dont expect anything great.
nasty in airport. no one speaks english there.

DrMom

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 5:13 am
We usually fly ElAl if they fly the route we are flying, so NY/TLV flights are almost only on ElAl.

I like their security, as opposed to the TSA's "security theater."

I avoid stopovers if at all possible, esp if I am travelling with the kids, so that also narrows down the field.

real israeli

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 5:27 am
I flew mostly el al. Once, I flew United. Shortly before the flight they had us transfer to another gate and then get rescanned by security in order to return to the correct gate and board. Surprised, I asked one of the agents what it was all about. His reaction was that this is standard and if I’m surprised I must be used to el al. El al security is armed. The other airlines are not. So they rely on scanning while el al relies on scanning, profiling and weapons.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 7:27 am
I prefer direct flights and elal for security. A family friend is an international pilot and helped guide my decision. I have family that will not fly elal because of the games played with Shabbos and the fact they are a medina airline.
I only fly to/ from Israel Sat night through Wed night.

etky

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 7:57 am
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
I prefer direct flights and elal for security. A family friend is an international pilot and helped guide my decision. I have family that will not fly elal because of the games played with Shabbos and the fact they are a medina airline.
I only fly to/ from Israel Sat night through Wed night.

We flew recently to North America.
Our flight from TLV was non-stop whereas we had a stopover in Zurich on the way back.
I have to say that I loved having the stopover in Europe.
I find the endless 11-12 hour flights torture.
Knowing that I will be able to disembark and move around after only 6-7 hours makes it so much more bearable for me.
When our kids were little we only flew non-stop but at this stage in life I now find this mode preferable.
That said, it was the first time we did not fly ELAL in a while and I did feel less safe, especially given that we would be stopping in Europe.
As far as the flights are concerned: the outgoing direct flight on AirCanada was not great. I would hesitate to fly with them again; United from NY to Zurich was ok and Swiss from Zurich to TLV was actually good.
I do recommend Zurich as a stopover city. The gate for the next leg to TLV was just a few footsteps away from where we disembarked from the transatlantic flight. We did not have to go through passports or reclaim our luggage or anything like that as in certain other European cities. The airport felt very low key (even the announcements were kind of hushed Surprised ) and there was an armed female soldier standing watch at the gate. I would definitely consider flying through there again.

fleetwood

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 8:03 am
Recently flew United to Israel and Air Canada back...both flights were perfect and smooth.I would not hesitate to fly either airline again.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 8:54 am
Elal stopped giving meals. The choice is a msg sandwich or a plain salad. They're terrible on hosting too, just great for security.

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 9:36 am
Ruchel wrote:
Elal stopped giving meals. The choice is a msg sandwich or a plain salad. They're terrible on hosting too, just great for security.

I just flew with Elal yesterday from Israel to US. We were served a snack, 2 meals and drinks. Service was great!

Ruchel

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 10:06 am
4 flights recently and talked to passengers and crew

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 10:23 am
Ruchel wrote:
4 flights recently and talked to passengers and crew

Maybe they started serving less to flights from and to France ?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics